Old 06-19-2020, 10:27 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 164 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementZ View Post
Hi all,

UDisc claims to have over 10k courses in their directory, whereas DGCR has less than that (unless you include Extinct courses). I was always under the impression that DGCR is the golden standard for DG courses, is this no longer the case?

When did UDisc come into existence? I feel like DGCR has been around longer, and therefore the UDisc site must have been created by using DGCR data? Is that an errant assumption?

Just curious because I haven't heard much about this site/app.

Thanks!
uDisc has been around for about 5 years, and was started by two guys in Minnesota. I believe they started with scorecards, course directories and GPS mapping to see courses in your area, but now you can do stuff like run your leagues and tournaments through it, putting leagues, and search PDGA rules much easier than Google. Its also helpful when you play a new course with terrible or no signage, as long as someone else has mapped the course.

I dont believe they used DGCR data. I think all courses were uploaded and mapped out by users. Theyve just grown fast and made partnerships with the PDGA and other companies in the sport. Since their are more users and, in my opinion more casual players using the app, the course ratings tend to be a little over inflated. Especially if there arent many other courses in the area for players to base their opinion off of.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2020, 11:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,446 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Have you registered your course under Google My Business?
Yes, thanks.

Even so, the displayed information is limited, and changes have to be submitted for review. It took me months to display that it's private, by reservation only, and even then, it's not prominent. Part of the problem being, it's not a business---I'm not sure how it got there, in the first place. Next step may be to try to get it deleted, entirely.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:32 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 325 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Yes, thanks.

Even so, the displayed information is limited, and changes have to be submitted for review. It took me months to display that it's private, by reservation only, and even then, it's not prominent. Part of the problem being, it's not a business---I'm not sure how it got there, in the first place. Next step may be to try to get it deleted, entirely.
Oh you DON'T want the google listing, haha gotcha! Well good luck with that. I have never had to wait more than a day for my changes to be adopted. In fact I just changed my website URL yesterday and it got approved in an hour.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:33 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 259 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Agreed, this has to be a niche site for disc golf. The masses probably don't have a clue.
I found DGCR because when I searched for information on my local course, DGCR was the first offered link after the parks and rec listing. I don’t think it’s that niche. In fact, I wouldn’t have know what UDisc was unless I saw it featured in some of the tourney and blogger vids.

I tried using UDisc once and found it not very helpful, but since I only tried it once on the one course, I’m not sure if that’s a course problem, a UDisc problem or a me problem. Maybe I should try it again.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:23 PM

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 98
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 42 Times in 10 Posts

The two have different strengths.

DGCR is the gold standard for course reviews, as is befitting its name. You won't find a group with more good and excellent reviewers and reviews in it anywhere.

UDisc is great for score-keeping during a round (I do love having the GPS satellite map), and gives you all sorts of stats very easily, with no initial cost for the app. With its increasing popularity, it's also a good source to consult for course conditions. However, UDisc reviews are predominantly terrible, and I think you can rate a course without reviewing it, which adds to distorted course ratings. I never use it to find out how good a course is.

I'd say the two are pretty well matched when it comes to course directories. I've seen some on DGCR and not on UDisc and vice-versa. I will say that UDisc makes it easier to find private courses using the map.

In sum, I use a combination. Always DGCR for reviews, always UDisc for scoring, and a bit of both when it comes to finding courses and getting maps.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:00 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 61
Niced 168 Times in 97 Posts

I think a big issue affecting ratings is who is doing the rating. A 1020 rated pro will have a much different perspective on what makes a course great--challenging shot shaping holes, no easy birdies out there, etc than a rec player (I assume the predominant player by sheer numbers), who might prefer no par 3's longer than 350' so at least most holes are potentially birdies, etc. I am in that camp though I do like longer courses as well like Idlewild and Toboggan just because they are awesome courses.

I like the reviewers on this site who put ratings on different aspects of a course--layout, challenge, amenities (bathrooms, pro shop, benches, trash cans, etc), pure beauty, maintenance, etc. That way I can drill in on the aspects of a course that mean the most to me. Some template that everyone followed would be awesome.

I, too, use both sites. It is interesting how one course will have many reviews from one and not the other, and a course down the road will be vice versa. Both apps are great for what they do, I have no problem using both. I've not used discgolfscene much unless there is a tournament--that seems to be its strength.

Honestly I'd like to see the total number of main sites dwindle down to two at most. More than two just gets confusing. I think it will eventually, maybe even to one. Anyone remember MySpace? Betamax?
Old 06-19-2020, 05:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 61 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementZ View Post
I feel like DGCR has been around longer, and therefore the UDisc site must have been created by using DGCR data? Is that an errant assumption?
While I don't keep track of it... I think I found more courses in the UDisc app that I have added to DGCR and also the PDGA website. I am trying to get all of the "local" courses in the three directories [DGCR, UDisc, & PDGA] and let the users decided which one they like the best.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 567 Times in 330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrach3 View Post
The two have different strengths.

*snip*

In sum, I use a combination. Always DGCR for reviews, always UDisc for scoring, and a bit of both when it comes to finding courses and getting maps.
Same. I go to DGCR first to find courses and get information about them. I read a couple Udisc ratings and stopped even looking at them. Every rating I've seen on UDisc are the type (good or bad) people want purged from this site.

I've known a few friends that know of this site and had no idea of the app or ability to track rounds. They just lurk some of the forums and disc sales.
Many many people are using Udisc as default scoring app and running weeklies with it and putting leagues. for scoring its growing fast and I switched over to be able to share score cards. I would use more of their stats but GPS takes so damn long on my home course.

As far as number of courses its really easy to create a neighborhood object course on there, which maybe part of the numbers. More unofficial courses. Also unsure how it counts layout changes?
Old 06-19-2020, 08:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 384
Niced 517 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
bolded remains the best way to know where to play...
Mostly agreed....however, when we get someone visiting here in Charlotte and they ask if there are any courses to play, we end up with dozens and dozens of responses listed all 30ish courses within 40 minutes of the city. At that point, one needs a site such as DGCR to look at the courses, see pictures, and read reviews.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:22 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 395 Times in 225 Posts

Ill admit Im more of a UDisc guy. The app is really easy to use especially on the go. I tend to just take my chances when trying new courses and dont really read too many reviews anyways because everyone has different opinions and Id rather just play a course and decide for myself if I like it.

Niced: (2)