Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 194
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 126 Times in 37 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ElementZ
Default HOA Proposal

Hi all,

My neighbor and I are pitching that the home owners association purchase a few baskets for a neighborhood park. There are extra funds available since the annual picnic didn't happen.
We have a HOA maintained park that is ideal for 3-4 baskets (hilly, mowed, away/protected from houses, etc.). It'd be the perfect training area and essentially just for disc golf as the basket locations wouldn't interfere at all with existing playgrounds or basketball courts.

Has anyone done anything like this before? It'd be great if you could upload your pitch/proposal so that we can just tweak it for our neighborhood. My neighbor is planning on visiting Glide, the local disc golf store, tomorrow for tips, but I was thinking that the DGCR community is also a great place to go for help.

I did a quick search for this topic but couldn't find anything. If a thread exists, please link me.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2020, 11:36 PM
.:Team Innova Champion:.

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 160
Niced 127 Times in 27 Posts

The PDGA has demographic charts, a "what is disc golf" and several other items you could possibly use to create your own proposal. Google docs has a Project Proposal template you can use to get started.
Manufacturer websites have price points for baskets, should you want to provide varying price options.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2020, 12:44 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,213 Times in 1,000 Posts

I recommend as a minimum for baskets, Lighting DB-5 Baskets only sold on Gotta Go Gotta Throw.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,645 Times in 1,611 Posts

I might suggest reaching out to one of the local clubs in the area. They generally have someone who has experience in getting a course in the ground. Here is one around you. There may be more, I am not local.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/clubs/Mad_City_Disc_Golf

https://www.facebook.com/MadCityDisc/

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:46 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 38
Niced 18 Times in 10 Posts

The DB-5 Baskets are crap and destroy discs. Good luck with project

Old 07-15-2020, 02:05 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,213 Times in 1,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementZ View Post
Hi all,

My neighbor and I are pitching that the home owners association purchase a few baskets for a neighborhood park. There are extra funds available since the annual picnic didn't happen.
We have a HOA maintained park that is ideal for 3-4 baskets (hilly, mowed, away/protected from houses, etc.). It'd be the perfect training area and essentially just for disc golf as the basket locations wouldn't interfere at all with existing playgrounds or basketball courts.

Has anyone done anything like this before? It'd be great if you could upload your pitch/proposal so that we can just tweak it for our neighborhood. My neighbor is planning on visiting Glide, the local disc golf store, tomorrow for tips, but I was thinking that the DGCR community is also a great place to go for help.

I did a quick search for this topic but couldn't find anything. If a thread exists, please link me.

Thanks in advance for your help!
One thing you might want to do is get a google earth then make a map of the parts you want used for the disc golf practice course, then copy said map you made to give the HOA a copy and then have copies for you and friend. Only going off experiance for this first part.

Also know how much the 3-4 baskets will cost pre tax before sending in the idea and price on some pieces of paper.

If the HOA says no for several reasons, one they do not want people from out of area using them tell them you have a park people could let other children play on, you have a Basket ball court other kids and adults not from the HOA could play on, so on. If it is the course will send the wrong message show them some footage of a Tournament made by one of the top 3 companies.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 152
Niced 587 Times in 247 Posts

Not sure if I can help, but from an "insider's perspective"...

I work for a production home builder and as far as I know, all of our communities are HOA regulated. I'm on the team that handles the planning of new community amenities (clubhouses, entrance signage, pools, playgrounds, etc.) We control the HOA until a percentage of the neighborhood is built out and then homeowners start joining the board, eventually taking over fully.

We just put a 3 or 4 basket "practice area" in one of our new communities last year and it's been a pretty big hit. The company likes it because it's a relatively inexpensive addition when compared to most other outdoor items and it requires little to no maintenance. The cost of all these amenities are spread out across all the lot purchase prices in the community so affordable options help keep those lot costs down as well.

I doubt the company will ever go the route of installing a whole course (9 or 18), but they seem to be pretty keen on adding more 3-4 basket spaces.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:19 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 259 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempies View Post
The DB-5 Baskets are crap and destroy discs. Good luck with project
I bought one for a backyard practice basket about 6 weeks ago. Definitely not crap as a practice basket, doesn't seem to destroy my practice putters. Catches well for me. I am super satisfied with it as a galvanized "no fuss needed" practice basket.

I'm not sure I would install them as permanent baskets without having someone who could weld the screw together pieces of the pole together to make them stay dead straight and prevent the basket from walking off.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-15-2020, 11:54 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 289 Times in 174 Posts

Remember to add in the cost of the concrete to hold the basket poles in place. What will you use for tee pads?

Old 07-15-2020, 12:06 PM

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 65
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
Remember to add in the cost of the concrete to hold the basket poles in place. What will you use for tee pads?
I don't think the plan is to have tee pads. Looks like he wants to install baskets for practice putting and field work. It's just 3 or 4 baskets, not an entire course. I am the HOA treasurer for a community of nearly 200 homes. We have an annual budget of about $150,000. We could probably make room in our budget for 3 to 4 baskets and we'd be open to installing them if we had enough room to allow it.