Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Other Gear

Old 09-06-2020, 10:22 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 25 Times in 17 Posts

I'm pretty careful as I've had some big reactions to poison ivy at times..... usually shower right after a round at home using Dawn. I'm also careful when I go into the bushes/trees/woods to find a wayward disc (which happens more than I'd like)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-07-2020, 12:59 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,213 Times in 1,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbford View Post
I'm pretty careful as I've had some big reactions to poison ivy at times..... usually shower right after a round at home using Dawn. I'm also careful when I go into the bushes/trees/woods to find a wayward disc (which happens more than I'd like)
I have had to do the same for Poison Oak, that stuff is nasty for me, spreads and unlike Poison Ivy I do not need to even scratch the itch for Poison Oak to spread.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 163 Times in 68 Posts

My home course is filled with the Poison Oak. There's pretty much no way to keep your discs and stuff out of it. So my ritual for the last 6 years is to immediately come home. Put all my Oak clothes in the wash, leave shoes outside, jump in the shower and wash myself with a ton of soap (in cool/warm water). After the shower I scrub all my discs with dish soap, wash my bag and scrub my shoes. It's a pain in the rear, but much better than a couple weeks with a Poison Oak rash. I have a love-hate relationship with my home course for this very reason. Nothing like playing disc golf in 90 degree summer temps with long sleeves and long pants. /s

Niced: (1)
Old 09-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 119
Niced 104 Times in 67 Posts

Previous home course had poison oak. Doesn't bother me, but my wife is quite sensitive.

I carry in my bag a couple of plastic grocery bags; any disc that gets in PO, or even might have, goes into a bag--carefully to avoid contact--and sits the rest of the round out. At home, any discs that had contacft, or might have, go through the dishwasher. Clothes immediately go in the wash machine, and shoes left outside. For discs that can't sit the round out (my wife only carries a few), or for skin contact, I carry some IvyX wipes, a towel, and try to have some water, and the disc gets cleaned then and there.

This Spring, in the months before moving, there was a massive PO bloom--I heard something about that happening every 5-10 years--and she made it through that without being affected.

IvyX: https://coretexproducts.com/ivyx_c/

Last edited by pauldst; 09-07-2020 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Forgot website link

Old 09-09-2020, 07:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 81
Niced 23 Times in 9 Posts

Lots of good info on this thread. One thing that's important not to overlook is that when scrubbing your discs and yourself, don't use warm or hot water. Use cool or cold water. Your whole purpose with the cleaning is to remove the oil and keep it from contact with skin where it can bind. The last thing you want is to be removing oil from surfaces/skin and have warm water opening your pores at the same time.

Two other bits of info that were touched on:

1. The oil can be present on your hands for a time without you seeing a reaction. The more dense skin slows the binding but means you may be inadvertently spreading the infection. Shoes, shoelaces, hats, sunglasses, car keys, wallets, bottles, STEERING WHEELS AND GEAR SHIFTS, etc. can all easily pick up the oil from your hands and give it back to you.

2. You can not be too diligent about getting the oil off. Err on the side of caution. If you think you or a disc might have touched the demon weed, treat that object like the biohazard it is.

Also, nobody is immune. Some people just have extremely mild reactions. Some peoples' reactions change as they age. I've known surveyors who could roll around in the stuff with no ill effects and then one summer BOOM! they're screaming and visiting the ER for a steriod shot.

Niced: (2)