Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Other Gear

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 09-06-2020, 10:22 AM
Superbford Superbford is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Courses Played: 3
Posts: 55
Niced 25 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I'm pretty careful as I've had some big reactions to poison ivy at times..... usually shower right after a round at home using Dawn. I'm also careful when I go into the bushes/trees/woods to find a wayward disc (which happens more than I'd like)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-07-2020, 12:59 AM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,124
Niced 1,213 Times in 1,000 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbford View Post
I'm pretty careful as I've had some big reactions to poison ivy at times..... usually shower right after a round at home using Dawn. I'm also careful when I go into the bushes/trees/woods to find a wayward disc (which happens more than I'd like)
I have had to do the same for Poison Oak, that stuff is nasty for me, spreads and unlike Poison Ivy I do not need to even scratch the itch for Poison Oak to spread.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-07-2020, 12:05 PM
4ormal's Avatar
4ormal 4ormal is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 441
Niced 163 Times in 68 Posts
Default

My home course is filled with the Poison Oak. There's pretty much no way to keep your discs and stuff out of it. So my ritual for the last 6 years is to immediately come home. Put all my Oak clothes in the wash, leave shoes outside, jump in the shower and wash myself with a ton of soap (in cool/warm water). After the shower I scrub all my discs with dish soap, wash my bag and scrub my shoes. It's a pain in the rear, but much better than a couple weeks with a Poison Oak rash. I have a love-hate relationship with my home course for this very reason. Nothing like playing disc golf in 90 degree summer temps with long sleeves and long pants. /s

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-07-2020, 02:54 PM
pauldst's Avatar
pauldst pauldst is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grandview, MO (KC area)
Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,158
Niced 104 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Previous home course had poison oak. Doesn't bother me, but my wife is quite sensitive.

I carry in my bag a couple of plastic grocery bags; any disc that gets in PO, or even might have, goes into a bag--carefully to avoid contact--and sits the rest of the round out. At home, any discs that had contacft, or might have, go through the dishwasher. Clothes immediately go in the wash machine, and shoes left outside. For discs that can't sit the round out (my wife only carries a few), or for skin contact, I carry some IvyX wipes, a towel, and try to have some water, and the disc gets cleaned then and there.

This Spring, in the months before moving, there was a massive PO bloom--I heard something about that happening every 5-10 years--and she made it through that without being affected.

IvyX: https://coretexproducts.com/ivyx_c/

Last edited by pauldst; 09-07-2020 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Forgot website link
Reply With Quote
 

  #25  
Old 09-09-2020, 07:46 PM
MiketheGoalie's Avatar
MiketheGoalie MiketheGoalie is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: OKC
Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 239
Niced 23 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Lots of good info on this thread. One thing that's important not to overlook is that when scrubbing your discs and yourself, don't use warm or hot water. Use cool or cold water. Your whole purpose with the cleaning is to remove the oil and keep it from contact with skin where it can bind. The last thing you want is to be removing oil from surfaces/skin and have warm water opening your pores at the same time.

Two other bits of info that were touched on:

1. The oil can be present on your hands for a time without you seeing a reaction. The more dense skin slows the binding but means you may be inadvertently spreading the infection. Shoes, shoelaces, hats, sunglasses, car keys, wallets, bottles, STEERING WHEELS AND GEAR SHIFTS, etc. can all easily pick up the oil from your hands and give it back to you.

2. You can not be too diligent about getting the oil off. Err on the side of caution. If you think you or a disc might have touched the demon weed, treat that object like the biohazard it is.

Also, nobody is immune. Some people just have extremely mild reactions. Some peoples' reactions change as they age. I've known surveyors who could roll around in the stuff with no ill effects and then one summer BOOM! they're screaming and visiting the ER for a steriod shot.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poison oak, poison sumac, poison ivy, chiggers, and ticks. A great way to be misery! Disc Dog General Disc Golf Chat 151 09-17-2013 05:51 PM
Poison Ivy harr0140 Course Maint. & Equipment 48 05-28-2011 12:13 PM
poison ivy............ moose-mdg General Disc Golf Chat 54 08-19-2010 06:36 PM
poison ivy woodcutter General Disc Golf Chat 52 08-03-2010 10:18 PM
Is this poison ivy asu225 General Disc Golf Chat 83 05-18-2009 01:07 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.