Old 09-14-2020, 03:07 PM

Niced 19 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'alcooltue View Post
okay so for the last 7 years 10-15 of my volts have always flown the same but apparently if some people on a forum think theirs fly differently it changes reality.

whats your assertion, that you throw the same everytime like robot? and or you have the ability to decide flight numbers off YOUR throw?

theres always been an argument that neutron and proton flew differently in general and its total BS.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2020, 03:25 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 47
Niced 128 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
...yet
Although some Drifts can be surprisingly stable.
Well, I do bag them. So, what should I look for, higher parting line, flat, etc.? Is the Proton plastic more stable?
Old 09-14-2020, 03:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Niced 1,404 Times in 617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'alcooltue View Post
...neutron and proton flew differently in general...
Wow, that response seems a little stronger than it should be.

Here is a video I created a month-ish ago. Ignore the "Plasma Volt" label I put on the gray disc. That is a Cosmic Neutron. I also mis-labeled the copper disc, that is Plasma. My bad, really wishing I had gotten those labels right. But you can easily see the flight differences between these discs. They were all brand new when I threw them. The weights aren't very different.

I think the Volts were very similar for a while but the new Cosmic Neutrons are very beefy. Almost "drop your Fireball or Motion" beefy. And this isn't just my Cosmic Neutron, everybody seems to think they are exceptionally overstable for a Volt.
Here is a thought about why they might be beefier:

MVP has been re-cutting/modifying molds so they can run them on their in-house machines. I have heard it said (anecdotally, grain of salt) that the beefier Volts are closer to MVP's original intent for the disc. Maybe they modded the new molds so the Volts fly "like they are supposed to?" Beats me, I have no inside information for this topic.

Even if that explains why the Cosmic Neutrons are so beefy, it doesn't explain why the copper Plasma is so understable. That disc has big turn.

So I don't have enough Volts to verify the "...Neutron and Proton flew differently..." statement. They seem fairly consistent but I don't have a large sample size. Probably only 8 or so and they are probably all from the same runs. My Plasma and Cosmic Neutron are outliers though. Those are definitely different.

If it were up to me, they would all fly like my Proton Volt I have about 10 other Volts but they wouldn't add to the videos content. They are various shades of stability near the Proton in that video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
Well, I do bag them. So, what should I look for, higher parting line, flat, etc.? Is the Proton plastic more stable?
higher PLH, yeah. I only have 3 but my Proton is the least overstable. My Neutrons are slightly beefier.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Marmoset; 09-14-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,437 Times in 714 Posts

Quote:

MVP has been re-cutting/modifying molds so they can run them on their in-house machines. I have heard it said (anecdotally, grain of salt) that the beefier Volts are closer to MVP's original intent for the disc. Maybe they modded the new molds so the Volts fly "like they are supposed to?" Beats me, I have no inside information for this topic.
As I've said before, I've been a toolmaker in an injection molding toolroom. I heard the interview when they were talking about this. They stated that they were NOT changing anything with the molding geometry. It's simply modifications of the outside of the mold, especially to get them to work on the different machines. I've done those mods. They are usually ejector system tie ins, locating rings, and nozzle geometry. I think I heard them mention doing cooling system upgrades too. None of this actually changes physical molding geometry. It might change cooling, which could in theory change PLH. So, new machines mean new/changed/updated processes which could, in theory, change honey a disc molds up. But nothing that they said leads me to believe they actually modified the molding surfaces.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
...But nothing that they said leads me to believe they actually modified the molding surfaces.
Yeah, That was my understanding of the intent.
However, stranger things have happened. I have no special inside knowledge on what they did or didn’t do to the molds.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Yeah, That was my understanding of the intent.
However, stranger things have happened. I have no special inside knowledge on what they did or didn’t do to the molds.
Me neither. Although, I'd love sneak in and snoop around that place....... michigan isn't too far away............ hahaha
Old 09-14-2020, 10:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Me neither. Although, I'd love sneak in and snoop around that place....... michigan isn't too far away............ hahaha
I’ll meet you there

Old 09-14-2020, 10:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
I’ll meet you there
Like the raid on area 51...Only for plastic nerds.... Lol
Old 09-14-2020, 11:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 264
Niced 314 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Like the raid on area 51...Only for plastic nerds.... Lol
Quote:
I’ll meet you there
I think they call it Gyro-palozza, or something like that...

Old 09-15-2020, 12:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,348 Times in 894 Posts

Hahaha lol haha