Old 03-20-2020, 10:49 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,378 Times in 1,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I get leery of light Katanas. They'll go far, but are too flippy to be worth the trouble. I've had massive rips with G* Katanas though. They drift right quite a bit initially, but always fade back late.

I'll dabble with blizz Katanas occasionally, but they're just a pain in the ass. Any wind at all and they're going out of the zip code crooked.

All my best Katanas are champion 168g and up, and domey. 450'+ power consistently.
For people with less armspeed than yours (like mine), a 150-class Katana might work very well. I get good rips with my Pro Katana and not too much drift.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2020, 11:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 976 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
For people with less armspeed than yours (like mine), a 150-class Katana might work very well. I get good rips with my Pro Katana and not too much drift.
Lightest I ever threw was a 134g blizz Katana. It was flippy, but I was still able to get it nicely a few times. Probably 470' throws. Even a whisper of a headwind would cause it to violently flip though.

My next intriguing light disc to try is a Z light Nuke SS 161g. The thing has some dome. If it isn't too flippy I figure it could be good for 450'+ right away.

I don't use light discs on the course, but they're fun to bomb around with in the field.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:47 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 13 Times in 12 Posts

Currently have 3 blizz katanas that I really like..domey 139..neutral 139....small dome 150...like them all...accurate....no headwinds....the domey one can be used in light headwind..with hyzer flip...the 15o is the longest for some reason...cant throw any of them flat or will flip...hyzer flip straight golf lines 400...bombs will go further..but way right if you go for it....I dont know why more people don't throw them...played with top player other day..saw my drive ..little drift right little fade back..and he was ..oh katana right?..nice
Old 10-01-2020, 12:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 843 Times in 511 Posts

I decided to stop hijacking the Westside King thread.

For those of you who have purchased Katanas this year, which plastic type is coming out the most domey right now? Star or Champ? I'd like to grab a couple low 160's with a heartbeat, but only have online retail as an option. So I'd like to maximize my chances of getting some good domey ones by picking the correct plastic type.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-01-2020, 07:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 976 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I decided to stop hijacking the Westside King thread.

For those of you who have purchased Katanas this year, which plastic type is coming out the most domey right now? Star or Champ? I'd like to grab a couple low 160's with a heartbeat, but only have online retail as an option. So I'd like to maximize my chances of getting some good domey ones by picking the correct plastic type.
Tough to say. I see both star and champions that are domey..... or flat. Plastic doesn't seem to play a huge role in determining dome with the Katana.

You might be able to email the online disc retailer and specifically ask for a domey Katana.

One last bit of insight: Katana > Corvette > Colossus for sheer distance. I keep trying to like the Corvette, but a lot of them are glideless pigs. The Katana blows the Colossus and Corvette away easily for distance.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Tough to say. I see both star and champions that are domey..... or flat. Plastic doesn't seem to play a huge role in determining dome with the Katana.

You might be able to email the online disc retailer and specifically ask for a domey Katana.

One last bit of insight: Katana > Corvette > Colossus for sheer distance. I keep trying to like the Corvette, but a lot of them are glideless pigs. The Katana blows the Colossus and Corvette away easily for distance.
Thanks man, appreciate your insight. I'm going to grab a couple off of Marshall Street. Their pics are detailed enough that I *think* I can tell which ones have dome based on how the light reflects off of the disc. We'll see if I'm right. I am also going to grab one in Pro just because they have X-outs for $8, so if it turns out to be a turd it's not a major loss.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:42 AM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Thanks man, appreciate your insight. I'm going to grab a couple off of Marshall Street. Their pics are detailed enough that I *think* I can tell which ones have dome based on how the light reflects off of the disc. We'll see if I'm right. I am also going to grab one in Pro just because they have X-outs for $8, so if it turns out to be a turd it's not a major loss.
OTB specifies the "dominess" of each disc they list, so if you buy from them you won't have to guess.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powasky View Post
OTB specifies the "dominess" of each disc they list, so if you buy from them you won't have to guess.
Yeah, that is a good recommendation and I actually had already checked them before buying from Marshall Street. They are always on my list of vendors I check before buying, but for whatever reason they never seem to have the dominess/weight/mold combo I want in a bright, findable color. I know others swear by them but I just have not had a lot of luck with their inventory.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 49
Niced 939 Times in 634 Posts

Please report back after throwing. I've always kinda wanted to revisit this mold.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Please report back after throwing. I've always kinda wanted to revisit this mold.
Will do. I ordered a 162 Blizzard, 162 Pro, and 166 Champ. I'm pretty excited to test them out.