Old 10-19-2020, 05:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 505 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
All the flashing I have seen extends vertically, down toward a table or the ground if you set the disc flat. The horizontal line your disc shows is what is called the "parting line," or the residual area of plastic between the top and bottom components of the mold. To be honest, I don't know where that flashing comes from. But, in general, flashing is inconsistent around the 360 degrees of the disc. Again, it extends vertically, whereas the "bead" or micro-bead is more of a horizontal feature--i.e. you feel it best by feeling horizontally along the wing down toward where it would be sitting on the ground.
Flashing occurs wherever two mold pieces meet. It's where plastic escapes between the tiny gap in the mold pieces. Typically this occurs at the parting line, where the two main halves of the mold separate from each other to remove the molded disc. But it can happen between any two mold pieces that don't have a sufficiently tight seal to prevent it.

I believe most disc molds are actually three parts: core, wing, top. So there's a small amount of flashing at the bottom edge of the rim where the core/wing pieces meet, and there's flashing on the outer edge of the rim where the wing/top meet. What "feels" like flashing could also be a minor mis-alignment of two mold pieces, causing a step in the final part.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-19-2020, 11:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 335
Niced 636 Times in 308 Posts

the molds are only two pieces, flashing is only on the wing, and beads are only on the rim.

i can't make sense of any of the responses so far, with all the horizontal and vertical talk. but i don't really get how flashing and any sort of bead could be confused. they are in totally different spots on the disc.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:20 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 181 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
the molds are only two pieces, flashing is only on the wing, and beads are only on the rim.

i can't make sense of any of the responses so far, with all the horizontal and vertical talk. but i don't really get how flashing and any sort of bead could be confused. they are in totally different spots on the disc.
So a very tiny razor edge on the bottom of the rim, closest to the center... is designed? I’m genuinely asking because that’s what I removed, and have seen recommended to remove.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:30 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 181 Times in 108 Posts

Many discs have a very sharp edge here. On the DD Defender it was too uncomfortable so I razored it off. Same edge on a C-line FD and Champ Sidewinder that I have bought new recently.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96607302-2D22-4CCC-B615-571A979721AD.jpg (36.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 10-20-2020, 12:03 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 220
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,627 Times in 848 Posts

Old 10-20-2020, 12:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Many discs have a very sharp edge here. On the DD Defender it was too uncomfortable so I razored it off. Same edge on a C-line FD and Champ Sidewinder that I have bought new recently.

that's strange, i don't think i've ever experienced a sharp edge there. this is beyond my pay grade but it sounds like that would be an issue with the mold itself.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 525
Niced 1,674 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
that's strange, i don't think i've ever experienced a sharp edge there. this is beyond my pay grade but it sounds like that would be an issue with the mold itself.
Every Orc I've thrown is like this. By far the worst I've seen.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:45 AM
* Ace Member *

crazy. so you just sand them down?

is this particularly in champ-style plastic or does it happen with other plastics too? most of my drivers i get used so i've never really noticed it.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 525
Niced 1,674 Times in 802 Posts

I will if they're really bad. Just got a g* Orc a week ago. Almost lost a finger taking it out the box. A little sanding and it feels great now.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 942 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
No dude. As others have said, flashing does also occur at the bottom (i.e. put it on a table, stamp up, the lowest part of the disc touching the table), perhaps call it the lip of the rim?

In fact I think I have seen it there more often than anywhere else. Try to flick one of these and it will eat up your finger. I usually just find a suitably smooth piece of asphalt and rub the disc around for a while (sand the floor lol). On a few occasions Ive had to take a scalpel to it, but you really need to be careful then not to mess up the disc.

I also really dont get people who are like "yeah its great it makes the disc so much more stable" well get a overstable disc then. Dont throw around an uncomfortable disc just for the sake of it.

The mold pieces not aligning up 100% is pretty interesting too. Ive had several P2s for example where the top and bottom are not all the way in sync along the parting line.