Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Other Gear

Old 09-25-2020, 11:48 AM

Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default Has anybody tried a Topeakmart basket?

Both amazon and walmart have this portable basket. With the current coupon, it's about $80 on amazon now. I like that it has a carry bag for storage. Any thoughts/experience on the quality of these?

Topeakmart basket
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2020, 01:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 439 Times in 218 Posts

I have purchased a few of the Yaheetech baskets which look to be about the same—except the chains are kind of a net style.

I like them. No issues so far.

On the portable aspect, i think that breaking it down and putting it up frequently will shorten the life. The little metal clips work but aren’t super robust.

If it gets lots of use like it would in a course it won’t last as long as a more robust basket, but for me, I expect to get many years out of it.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 48.9
Courses Played: 60
Niced 401 Times in 221 Posts

80$ is about as good a deal as you are going to get on these type of baskets with a bag. Administration, raw materials, Production machines and facility, labor, packaging, shipping, warehousing, shipping to you.. Heck of a deal for a basic. These type are just fine.

Per the link the ‘upgrade’ 2 gauge wire should be plenty strong for the application and not bend easily if knocked around or roughly stored.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Niced 439 Times in 218 Posts

My baskets have been blown over by storm winds with no damage.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:05 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,213 Times in 1,000 Posts

The one I would get is this YAHEETECH basket as it is a similar design of the Older Innova Sport Discatcher the 18 chain https://www.amazon.com/Yaheetech-Por...E8C0P784W3WXYC then modify the basket by using small S hooks for the outer chain set as the inner set closed in a way the set will not move on the top chain hanger but having to make the set shorter. Then get some heavy chain for the outer set using full size S hooks for that item. This would be to have a basket that is a cheap $100 version of the modern Innova Sport Discatcher 24 chain sets.

Why do you ask? this is also a good option for a smaller 9 hole course that is private I would think if one checked them after the first few winters.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,478 Times in 722 Posts

Mvp lites are on amazon for $94....I think I'd go that route personally
Old 10-01-2020, 12:44 PM

Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 15
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Mvp lites are on amazon for $94....I think I'd go that route personally
Thanks for the suggestion. I might go that route. Seems like the MVP brand is very reputable. How much do you give up going with the 18 chains vs 24? Is chain thickness or number of chains more important?
Old 10-01-2020, 07:27 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 454 Times in 278 Posts

I would say number of chains. I bought a 24-chain (non-portable) one on eBay and it really played like the real thing. my 2 cents

Niced: (1)
Old 10-02-2020, 06:22 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,213 Times in 1,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwgatorfan View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I might go that route. Seems like the MVP brand is very reputable. How much do you give up going with the 18 chains vs 24? Is chain thickness or number of chains more important?
Chain size is the biggest issue. Some of the baskets that are like the Wham-O basket in chain link size or the like but use 2 sets of chain still get cut though really bad due to how small the chains are. You need bigger chains even if they are very lightweight as those have more stopping area for the disc. Yes it is the Size of Chain that is most important for a basket, as even too big say on the Gateway basket you need to drive the discs into the basket over the others where putting is used.

Then a Very very close second is number of chains as a single chain Lighting DB-5 will have more cut though compared to most other second row of chain baskets of similar quality or Innova Discatcher Sport old 18 chain model will have more cut though then the newer 24 of same model.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 630 Times in 413 Posts

As far as I can tell, the MVP Black Hole Lite is essentially one of these from the link, but with MVP logos and an MVP warranty.

Can anyone comment on how these do outside in the elements? I guess even if they rust like crazy, the chains are galvanized and the basket is solidly powder coated, so what could really go wrong...

Also just FYI, even the MVP version is made in China for cheap and the basket and chain canopy are a bit crooked out of the box. I shimmed mine with a little duct tape, no big deal.