Old 10-22-2020, 04:35 PM
Par Member

Niced 103 Times in 40 Posts

Testing periods are frustrating, I can offer from firsthand experience. 19 total cases in my wife's school district in the last 3 weeks. We were informed on a Sunday that she'd had exposure on Friday. So her and my son (some at his school) went and were tested Sunday afternoon. Both negative 2 days later. BUT! That was probably too early to detect. So she went back Tuesday afternoon for a 2nd test. 3 days later negative again. BUT! That was probably still too early as she had no symptoms (yet). 5-7 days post exposure or 1-2 days after symptoms start are your best bet for an accurate test (from what I understand). We were put on 14-day quarantine regardless, and it was pretty stressful as the cases in our area continued to climb, with a 4-year old and an 8-month old at home (I don't care what the numbers say, you fear for your child or you aren't human). She had a 3rd test the following Wednesday, with a 3rd negative. Pretty much anything that doesn't make you feel like a million bucks all of the sudden seems like a Covid symptom when you're stuck at home basically waiting for it to manifest.

The false-negatives seem more scary to me. False positive? Well, you quarantined needlessly but were just extra safe. False negative from testing too early? Potential to be spreading it around falsely thinking you've been cleared by science.

I have to answer a questionnaire to walk into work each morning, but no matter my level of exposure, with a negative test I'm cleared back to work, and there seems to be a decent incubation period that people don't talk about nearly as much as they should be, where there's potential to spread unknowingly. In fact, my company has a consulting doctor, who cleared me back to work twice while I was in quarantine, though our states' CDC told me to stay home. Getting conflicting information didn't help.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2020, 04:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,489 Times in 949 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
If it helps...Nick is getting his information from a YouTube channel called "Peak Prosperity".
I see you just joined the forums in Aug of this year, this thread has been going on much longer. I, and I believe others, know what Nick is about from earlier in the thread. I ignore his videos and most of his posts.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-22-2020, 05:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 419 Times in 205 Posts

Quote:
That dude is a doctor? Where did you see that?

That's the Ivermectin works guy.
So, I got curious...dude is Chris Martenson.

Bio says PHD in Neurotoxicology, but works in "future research"--financial stuff

https://www.peakprosperity.com/about/

Niced: (1)
Old 10-22-2020, 05:50 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 347 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealgoat View Post
Testing periods are frustrating, I can offer from firsthand experience. 19 total cases in my wife's school district in the last 3 weeks. We were informed on a Sunday that she'd had exposure on Friday. So her and my son (some at his school) went and were tested Sunday afternoon. Both negative 2 days later. BUT! That was probably too early to detect. So she went back Tuesday afternoon for a 2nd test. 3 days later negative again. BUT! That was probably still too early as she had no symptoms (yet). 5-7 days post exposure or 1-2 days after symptoms start are your best bet for an accurate test (from what I understand). We were put on 14-day quarantine regardless, and it was pretty stressful as the cases in our area continued to climb, with a 4-year old and an 8-month old at home (I don't care what the numbers say, you fear for your child or you aren't human). She had a 3rd test the following Wednesday, with a 3rd negative. Pretty much anything that doesn't make you feel like a million bucks all of the sudden seems like a Covid symptom when you're stuck at home basically waiting for it to manifest.

The false-negatives seem more scary to me. False positive? Well, you quarantined needlessly but were just extra safe. False negative from testing too early? Potential to be spreading it around falsely thinking you've been cleared by science.

I have to answer a questionnaire to walk into work each morning, but no matter my level of exposure, with a negative test I'm cleared back to work, and there seems to be a decent incubation period that people don't talk about nearly as much as they should be, where there's potential to spread unknowingly. In fact, my company has a consulting doctor, who cleared me back to work twice while I was in quarantine, though our states' CDC told me to stay home. Getting conflicting information didn't help.
I had a similar situation. My 2 year old got sick, so my daughter had to stay home from school. Then he got better but she got sick, so she had to stay home from school. The she got better and I got sick, tested negative, but she still had to stay home from school. Finally I got better and she could go back. I think she missed about 7 days of school for a 3 day cold. In spite of how annoying it was, I'm glad they have a strict policy.

All in all I wonder sometimes if all this additional testing is a bad thing. A negative test seems to be viewed as a get out of jail free card by a lot of people to go back into the world. Not just Covid scofflaws but by people that are actually trying to do the right thing. We'd be better off to a degree if people just stuck to the stay home if you're sick and quarantine if you've been exposed. They also lead to people into making bad decisions. I was talking my dad awhile back, who pretty much checks every risk box, and heard his step grandson in the background. I was like wait a second, didn't you just tell me he was sick with a fever yesterday why are you watching him?!? Try as I might I couldn't quite get through to him that the rapid test his grandson got the day before doesn't rule him out.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 75
Niced 932 Times in 345 Posts

Quote:
So, I got curious...dude is Chris Martenson.

Bio says PHD in Neurotoxicology, but works in "future research"--financial stuff

https://www.peakprosperity.com/about/
One of his videos posted earlier in this thread was completely bonkers. He kept calling Covid the honey badger virus and said maybe herd immunity could be achieved with just a 15% infection rate. Just completely talked out of his ass, complete speculative nonsense from start to finish. Then in his next video he apologized because apparently he took tons of backlash, but then plowed ahead again. Hes basically Alex Jones with a more calm delivery.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,419 Times in 2,096 Posts

It's the same old thing. When someone believes an outlier scientist, you just want to ask, Why do you believe this guy and not that guy. Or, more appropriately, those people. If you believe today's outlier just because he claims some credentials, will you believe tomorrow's scientist who says the opposite? If not, you may be conclusion shopping.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Niced 419 Times in 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
It's the same old thing. When someone believes an outlier scientist, you just want to ask, Why do you believe this guy and not that guy. Or, more appropriately, those people. If you believe today's outlier just because he claims some credentials, will you believe tomorrow's scientist who says the opposite? If not, you may be conclusion shopping.
Along the same line.

Fauci is (was) front and center. He has tons of critics. People with YouTube channels or whatever. Those critics say what people want to hear or believe. Confirmation bias.

So, there are lots of voices to hold Fauci accountable, but none to hold the critics accountable.

Not a defense of Fauci, just an observation.

The same thing can be observed in other areas.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.9
Niced 1,658 Times in 936 Posts

I don't understand the concerns of false postivies and testing? And I don't much understand the concerns about the overall infection rate, right or wrong. Are we denying that folks are dying? Are we denying that death rates are up significantly?

If we agree that the virus kills folks, it certainly seems to, and that taking some fairly simple steps keep you relatively safe, what is the concern?

Do what keeps you safe.

Look, I'm all for those who don't believe, going out and doing what they want. As long as they do it with those of like mind. I call it natural selection. I also understand that standards and protocols would have lowered the impact. I don't have to look beyond China to see that taking active measures early fixes a lot of problems. Being inept and having no plan whatsoever results in what we have. You can see what happens in countries that didn't go into denial and that dealt with the problem. New Zealand and China are back to work.

The numbers of infections and rates of spread are great. But you can't ignore the direct comparison between countries that acted appropriately and those that didn't. Apparently if you're China, and you take percautions, and shut down activities, you solve the problem in several months. If you're America and you open up and say it's a hoax you spread it everywhere and kill 220,000 folks. And you are heading it to a period where the case load is climbing daily.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:06 PM
Supreme Disc Golf Authority

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 298
Niced 139 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
I don't trust Mark Zuckerberg, but I do trust timg.

I'm not a world renowned epidemiologist, but I do have a Bachelor's Degree in Public Health and a Bachelor's Degree in Biological Science.

Other than your obvious skills in critical thinking, what's your background Mr.K?

Im not claiming to be an expert.

I only point out that all these so-called preventative measures like shutting down businesses in many countries are not having greater effects slowing down the spread than in some countries like Sweden which have not shut down businesses.

Id rather leave it up to business owners to decide whether or not to allow maskless customers in their establishments. Id rather parents have the option to have their kids at school or to learn virtually. In short, I support individuals making their own decisions instead of the government taking away our freedom of choice.

If Im wrong, Ill be dead rather quickly if you listen to the opinions of several posters here. Its a chance Im willing to take. This virus isnt as deadly as the 1918 influenza or the Black Plagues of the Middle Ages. The odds are in my favor-even if I catch the virus Ive got well over a 99.9% chance of surviving it. Im no expert but thats pretty good odds.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,227 Times in 988 Posts

The above post has been flagged for disinformation.

Niced: (4)