Old 10-23-2020, 08:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,668 Times in 923 Posts
Default Further Distance In A Strong Head Wind

I'm a lower power thrower, typically 300-330 off the tee. In a strong head wind (15-20+mph) I'm throwing high speed over stable drivers. But since the arm speed isn't there, would I get similar distance or more using slower speed (fairway) over stable drivers? I've never thrown fairways in these conditions, thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-23-2020, 09:33 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 172 Times in 131 Posts

A slower speed but more overstable disc will fly straighter overall. It’ll be more resistant to turn and will likely fade less because of its lower cruising speed and the wind adding airspeed.
A faster disc will likely go further because of the laws of aerodynamics, there will be less air resistance and therefore will travel further with the same release velocity. However, because for you a faster disc likely is less stable, it will have more turn and likely more fade than a slower, more stable disc.
The sweet spot will be a faster disc that follows a max distance path, but into the wind. So it will fly into the wind like your normal max distance drivers do with no wind.
Hope this helped!

Old 10-23-2020, 09:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,605 Times in 1,594 Posts

I might guess that you (and I for that matter) are not getting much more distance out of a high speed driver than a fairway driver, in good conditions. I think you would see similar results with a wind.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:47 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 325 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
would I get similar distance or more using slower speed (fairway) over stable drivers?
I don't think so. High speed drivers are more appropriately called low drag drivers, and of course drag = lift so maybe low lift driver would also be appropriate. Throwing into a headwind increases lift/drag. The problem with high speed drivers is that most folks cannot induce the required drag/lift via armspeed. Throwing into a huge headwind should artificially induce the drag/lift you need. Going the other direction, a slower driver ie high drag/lift will have their drag significantly increased and have their distance potential significantly cut down.

The only caveat to this is if your noodle arm cannot generate enough drag/lift even with the headwind. If that is the case yes you should still disc down.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-23-2020, 12:09 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 183 Times in 110 Posts

You want the flying disc as LEVEL as possible - a disc that will flip to flat in the wind, but not turnover. 7 speed or higher. Probably higher to get just enough understability to flip to flat on an hard throw. In zero wind, you have to know what discs you can flip up, and if there are any you can’t. In a headwind it’s a good idea to throw something you cannot flip up, and then the wind will hopefully flip it up for you. Pros don’t even get this right all the time.

Example: I can flip to flat a Destroyer or Trespass without any wind. If I throw into wind, they’re gonzo in turn. The only disc I bag that will never ever, ever turn is a Discraft Flick. That’s the only disc I would throw hard, for distance, in a headwind.

Old 10-23-2020, 01:03 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 325 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
You want the flying disc as LEVEL as possible - a disc that will flip to flat in the wind, but not turnover.
I have the opposite preference. Flipping to "flat" is dangerous because as your disc flips the nose goes down. While the hyzer angle may be "flat" the nose will probably be "down" inducing more turn than you want, in addition to a loss of altitude.

I like to throw very overstable high speed drivers on a flex line when there is a huge headwind. The headwind will prolong the anny portion of the flex line, but the gradual fade will push the nose up and give some lift half way through the flight. I feel like the first phase of anhyzer flight penetrates pretty well, and the second half will glide out pretty well, with a nice stalled out low skip landing.

I think the *worst* line is taking an overstable disc and trying to throw it flat. Starting out flat the angle will quickly change to nose up hyzer, which mean stall city.

Old 10-23-2020, 01:34 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 396 Times in 226 Posts

I’m going with seedlings on this one. Headwinds generate artificial speed for lack of a better explanation allowing you to throw faster discs that you likely wouldn’t get a full flight from under normal conditions.

I have a couple of McBeth Destroyers that are way too beefy for my noodle arm to flip up under normal conditions. If I’m anticipating strong headwinds I’ll bag them. We had steady 20+ mph winds with gusts to around 45 mph during tags one evening. I had a dead headwind shot and put the Destroyer on a decent hyzer. It flipped up, turned right, drifted right for a ways, pushed forwards for a while, and finished back left a little bit. I ended up a little right of where I was hoping but the distance was crazy leaving me nearly pin high on a hole I can’t typically reach.

Playing winds is definitely about getting the angles right. If you can get it correct you can definitely throw some decent distance. Just a little off though and things can go bad real quick.

I always disc up into a stiff headwind.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 384 Times in 179 Posts

In "normal" conditions, I don't see a ton of difference in distance between say a 7 speed and a 10 speed. My range of distance overlaps. I might see 275-325 from a Beast and 250-300 from a Teebird, so a good Teebird throw might go past an okay Beast throw. In a headwind, I can disc up to a Wraith or Destroyer and see pretty much the same flight as I normally would see from the Beast. I lose distance potential with the Teebird. That 300 foot shot in no wind is now more like a 275 foot shot.

I definitely disc up. I'd even go as far as saying that I'm probably longer with a Destroyer in a headwind than I am in still wind.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:06 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 32 Times in 17 Posts

My best distance is a head wind from a 45 degree/ + or - 20 degrees angle to my left with a Star Mamba, I'm a lefty. Any other type of wind direction the disc is useless. I pick up at least 30 to 50 feet. Just recently about 80-100 feet from a few throws.

My work horse's with a 20 mph and plus headwind on tight fairways are the Valkyrie Pro and Destroyer. The Valkyrie plows straight ahead, and the Destroyer a fade riding air bumps. Providing extra distance compared to no wind.

My best overall distance from any type of wind direction and at least 10 mph is a Hades. The disc shoots down the fairway with an ending fade, also riding air bumps. The Hades by far overall out performs my other discs with the wind. I love the air bumps from the Hades. Without wind, the Hades shoots out from my hand, but fizzles out. Will give good skip bounces.

The Leopard3, Teebird3, Thunderbird, and Sidewinder also perform very well into the wind, with some extra distance.

When I first started playing a year ago, I dreaded the wind. I'm now disappointed when there's no wind, and I really enjoy playing with the wind. On the flip side, this morning in heavy fog with high humidity, and no wind. All discs were dying, and on a few holes at least 50 feet short of my normal distance, it was my first time in the fog, and I started to panic, until I figured it out. On the second round with the sun clearing the fog, as I progressed thru each hole the distance started coming back, and started feeling better about myself, lol.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,349 Times in 895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post

I like to throw very overstable high speed drivers on a flex line when there is a huge headwind. The headwind will prolong the anny portion of the flex line, but the gradual fade will push the nose up and give some lift half way through the flight. I feel like the first phase of anhyzer flight penetrates pretty well, and the second half will glide out pretty well, with a nice stalled out low skip landing.

I think the *worst* line is taking an overstable disc and trying to throw it flat. Starting out flat the angle will quickly change to nose up hyzer, which mean stall city.
Exactly this, when I had a little more juice and played windier spots I relied on a ESP FR Force, beaten to straight. It was the fastest disc I've seen out of the hand for cutting wind and with the fade beat down I would throw those flex lines. Took an OB at a tournament in Kamloops doing that, I couldn't have hit the basket normally, blazed it out 400' + just over a fence. I still remember that throw.