Old 10-24-2020, 09:25 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 431 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
This is the crux, of why I believe, that disc golf will never be a popular spectator sport.
In terms of woods golf, probably. But woods golf isn't the future of championship event disc golf. It will be usage of existing, premier ball golf courses that will be used for our championship events. Infrastructure is already designed and built for large galleries.

And yes, disc golf will be an insanely popular spectator sport. All the trends are pointing that way. I'm just mapping out the growth, I don't need to be nostradamus to predict this, the math is already there and certain.

If I could buy stock in disc golf futures, I'd mortgage the house and everything I own and push all my chips in, no question about it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-24-2020, 09:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 3,020 Times in 1,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
In terms of woods golf, probably. But woods golf isn't the future of championship event disc golf. It will be usage of existing, premier ball golf courses that will be used for our championship events. Infrastructure is already designed and built for large galleries.

And yes, disc golf will be an insanely popular spectator sport. All the trends are pointing that way. I'm just mapping out the growth, I don't need to be nostradamus to predict this, the math is already there and certain.

If I could buy stock in disc golf futures, I'd mortgage the house and everything I own and push all my chips in, no question about it.
I agree with a lot of this but IMO the future is on properties built for disc golf rather than existing golf courses. The golf course thing is just a phase as these newer facilities begin to come into existence.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-24-2020, 10:17 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 711
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,694 Times in 1,129 Posts

The future will continue to unfold where sustainable money can be made or expenses are manageable. At this point, it's still unclear what elements in our evolving disc golf ecosystem are truly financially sustainable from what may appear to be sustainable by observers not privy to the details. Manufacturers are in the best position to forecast and shape the future but are the least likely to share that information publicly for competitive reasons.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:54 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 18
Niced 86 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
Here's a 5-putt on hole 1 at the 2018 WACO. First of five putts at 1:53.

That was brutal, but what makes it not as bad as at DGPT is that it was on Hole 1, she had time to recover. At DGPT, it was on hole 17 of the final round and cost her $15k

Old 11-24-2020, 09:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,750 Times in 2,969 Posts

Hole graphic is pretty sweet.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:07 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 27
Niced 131 Times in 45 Posts

It would be kinda interesting if there was a manufacturer’s title.

Points awarded towards a season title according to the top 5 players from each disc manufacturer finishing in the cash.

Last edited by gogo; 11-24-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:31 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 27.5
Courses Played: 143
Niced 1,223 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I agree with a lot of this but IMO the future is on properties built for disc golf rather than existing golf courses. The golf course thing is just a phase as these newer facilities begin to come into existence.
I don't like disc golf on golf courses, but it's not just a phase.

Disc golf on a golf course allows anyone and anywhere to host a premier event. If a company / town / club wants to host an event and has 500K to put into the purse but only a few courses with pars under 57, you better believe that event will happen at a golf course.

The golf course also is technology proof. Look what has happened to the Memorial - it's a birdie fest. Golf course can evolve as players throw further.

This trend isn't going anywhere any time soon. There are only so many places like Charlotte, Emporia, etc.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,689 Times in 937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Non player spectators will enjoy the open courses more. Casual fans love the long bomb, home run, 3 point shot, etc, etc. The easy to track/view long flight of a disc is going to appeal more to casual fans than a hard to follow flex shot through the woods. I do hope the next generation of disc golf courses have a 50/50 balance of technical/open holes. No reason we can't give the casual audience some bombs while also challenging the skill set of the pros.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:33 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 431 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Non player spectators will enjoy the open courses more. Casual fans love the long bomb, home run, 3 point shot, etc, etc. The easy to track/view long flight of a disc is going to appeal more to casual fans than a hard to follow flex shot through the woods. I do hope the next generation of disc golf courses have a 50/50 balance of technical/open holes. No reason we can't give the casual audience some bombs while also challenging the skill set of the pros.
Yep. You can design ball golf courses to weave in and out of the woods and rough and be more "woodsy" golf. This course below is a great example of it. With all the bombers in the field, it was Philo with the small arm who took the field down. It can be done with smart course design.

Old 11-26-2020, 08:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 3,020 Times in 1,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post

Disc golf on a golf course allows anyone and anywhere to host a premier event. If a company / town / club wants to host an event and has 500K to put into the purse but only a few courses with pars under 57, you better believe that event will happen at a golf course.

The golf course also is technology proof. Look what has happened to the Memorial - it's a birdie fest. Golf course can evolve as players throw further.

This trend isn't going anywhere any time soon. There are only so many places like Charlotte, Emporia, etc.
The public course phase for high end play is pretty much over with a few exceptions. Golf courses are a temporary bridge to the day when disc golf dedicated private land is the focal point. It won't be here tomorrow but it is on its way.