Old 10-26-2020, 07:03 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 384 Times in 179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I guess I don't get it. If you just remove C1 and apply the rules to C2, what is the problem. If you want to throw a roller, knock yourself out, just don't run up or follow through. Shrug, I don't jump or step putt. I can easily stand and deliver any throw to the basket from 100 feet. I honestly don't understand who cannot.

Not advocating for the rule change, but I guess it does not really impact me.
Same. I tried working step putts and jump putts and I always yank them left and I've turned about a million birdie runs into bogeys. Now I do this floating anny hybrid throw putt thing that honestly feels like it has a chance every time. And barring some freaky band roll away, it is usually a 5 footer when I miss.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2020, 08:57 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 735 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
I don't with a number of them even by good pro players in real speed on camera are clearly foot faulting. Then MJ picking up the mini/lie before he is supposed to on most missed or knowing they are going to miss putter shots in the 34 foot circle, before the disc comes to rest or is declared OB by the rules in place for the tournament and PDGA rules too.
If MJ is picking up his mini too fast all he is doing is forfeiting his right to rethrow with a penalty from his previous lie. That’s on him IF he is doing what you are saying. What else are you aaying he is doing? Making it impossible to call him on a foot faukt?
Old 10-26-2020, 09:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,983 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
If MJ is picking up his mini too fast all he is doing is forfeiting his right to rethrow with a penalty from his previous lie. That’s on him IF he is doing what you are saying. What else are you aaying he is doing? Making it impossible to call him on a foot faukt?
Not even that- the rules allow for placing the lie back as agreed upon by the group. There is no such thing as picking up the mini too fast following your shot.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 85
Niced 624 Times in 324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
Or make the basket smaller,

Oh wait, that's a dead horse, sorry.
Def not a dead horse. A rule change not allowing jump putts inside circle 2 takes away a skill that some of our top players have acquired. A skill that many enjoy watching and will be ultra controversial.

It will lead to more miss putts, not because the player made a bad shot, but because of a rule.

A smaller baskets just adds a need for PRECISION to the jump putt/putt. If a player misses a jump putt/putt it was because of a bad putt. Not a rule change.

I guarantee if the pro players had to choose between eliminating circle 2 jump putts and a smaller basket, you know what they would choose
Old 10-26-2020, 09:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 72
Niced 414 Times in 203 Posts

Just to be clear. This is not currently being discussed by the PDGA rules committee. It might be under discussions elsewhere that I am not aware of.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,605 Times in 1,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
Def not a dead horse. A rule change not allowing jump putts inside circle 2 takes away a skill that some of our top players have acquired. A skill that many enjoy watching and will be ultra controversial.

It will lead to more miss putts, not because the player made a bad shot, but because of a rule.

A smaller baskets just adds a need for PRECISION to the jump putt/putt. If a player misses a jump putt/putt it was because of a bad putt. Not a rule change.

I guarantee if the pro players had to choose between eliminating circle 2 jump putts and a smaller basket, you know what they would choose
Sorry....pretty sure changing every basket in the world, is indeed a dead horse.

By definition:

to waste time and effort trying to do something that is impossible

Niced: (2)
Old 10-26-2020, 10:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 1401
Niced 1,041 Times in 344 Posts

I think I'm in agreement with Chuck's discussion points. Eliminate the putting circle all together (keep it for udisc stats or whatever), jump putt from 3 feet out if necessary. And/or extend the "lie" in line behind the target, if I want to jump/step I back up an extra meter and stop my momentum before crossing in front of the lie, also works for runups in the fairway. If I need that extra momentum, it all happens behind the lie (or on a new definition for lie, up to maybe 2 meters behind where the disc lands).

Old 10-26-2020, 10:23 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 430 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
I think I'm in agreement with Chuck's discussion points. Eliminate the putting circle all together (keep it for udisc stats or whatever), jump putt from 3 feet out if necessary. And/or extend the "lie" in line behind the target, if I want to jump/step I back up an extra meter and stop my momentum before crossing in front of the lie, also works for runups in the fairway. If I need that extra momentum, it all happens behind the lie (or on a new definition for lie, up to maybe 2 meters behind where the disc lands).
100% agree. It's all personal preference. And from how I see it, the top 2 best putters in the world, Ricky and Eagle, don't jump putt unless they well outside 60 feet. I'd have Paul at #3 and even he doesn't jump unless he's outside circle 2. I'd put a healthy Simon at #4 and basically same for him.

Chris Dickerson at #5 is the only guy in the top 6 who step putts. Calvin at #6, same as Eagle, stand and deliver.

Same thing on FPO really. I have Paige, Hailey, Evelinna, Lisa and Holly as the top FPO putters and pretty much all 5 are stand and deliver until they hit well outside the circle.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by Nick Pacific; 10-26-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 85
Niced 624 Times in 324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Sorry....pretty sure changing every basket in the world, is indeed a dead horse.

By definition:

to waste time and effort trying to do something that is impossible
Lol extremist much? Sooo salty.

Just on the pro tour or dgpt tour. Feldberg changed out all perfectly good disc catcher baskets at an event in Austin with prodigy baskets.....just because prodigy sponsored or something.

Can be done, will be done. Only a matter of when. Keep your kleenex close so you're ready when it happens.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:31 AM
Tiny White Balls

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 185 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
This is the logical solution. You can never move past your lie regardless if it is a drive, approach, putt. I think anywhere up to a meter behind the lie should be acceptable.