Old 10-27-2020, 09:06 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 168 Times in 62 Posts

I thought the point of this entire thread was scoring is too low and we need smaller baskets. Now we've reached "every hole should be birdied and hard holes should have par changed to promote lower scoring."
Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2020, 09:22 PM
Size Queen

Niced 185 Times in 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
I thought the point of this entire thread was scoring is too low and we need smaller baskets. Now we've reached "every hole should be birdied and hard holes should have par changed to promote lower scoring."
My overall view is that both are issues. It comes down to course design. Course designers and TD's obviously know if a large majority of players are going to land in C1 during play then it's going to be a birdie fest. So the consequence of the ease of putting has created courses or certain holes that have no real fairway. Like I said if the best players in the world are playing the poke and hope game and no one birdies then I can easily say we have a problem. Again the problem is the ease of putting making the long game very difficult to a high degree of luck in some situations. Make the basket smaller. Players make a few less putts and now the long game doesn't have to be so difficult or unfair. Players can land 25 feet and I am still intrigued because no longer is it automatic. They might miss.

On the other hand we have holes that are mostly in the open. To toughen up some of these holes artificial OB and/or raised baskets are being used on a regular basis. I think you could do away with both and simply make the basket smaller. You'd have a similar challenge and not have to deal with the ropes and raised baskets which cause more layups as well.

So I think both situations become better with a properly sized target. Hard holes can become fairer with real fairways. Players might land in C1 a little more. Easy holes get tougher by having a little bit tougher putting. No longer is it automatic to get up and down from 200 feet.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 477 Times in 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Hah!!!!
Even your own logic confuses you!!!

This thread is like a broken carousel,
Round and round we go.
When will it stop?
Nobody knows.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 78
Niced 945 Times in 349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
There’s never been a point to this thread. It was mercifully gone until dipsh!t bumped it again.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:52 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCready View Post
There’s never been a point to this thread. It was mercifully gone until dipsh!t bumped it again.
Point? How about putting is too easy.

Not to mention, you don't have to click on it. lol

Niced: (1)

Last edited by oldmandiscer; 10-27-2020 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.5
Courses Played: 151
Niced 780 Times in 290 Posts

Everybody comment on a different thread and re-bury this one, please. I'm headed to one underneath this one and making a comment, maybe even that I'm just there to help bury the worst thread in DGCR history.

The basket is fine. Case closed.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:10 AM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Everybody comment on a different thread and re-bury this one, please. I'm headed to one underneath this one and making a comment, maybe even that I'm just there to help bury the worst thread in DGCR history.

The basket is fine. Case closed.
While he bumps this thread. The basket is a problem. If not why do they raise baskets? Or make mozzarella sticks and put them 4 feet from the cage? Of course everyone knows putting is too easy. The question is what to do about it?
Old 10-28-2020, 08:39 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 384 Times in 179 Posts

You know what would be nice? Actual mozzarella sticks by the basket. Get one of those heated setups like they have in grocery stores and gas stations and grab a nice snack as you wait to tee off next hole.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,475 Times in 722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
You know what would be nice? Actual mozzarella sticks by the basket. Get one of those heated setups like they have in grocery stores and gas stations and grab a nice snack as you wait to tee off next hole.
Or like the cheese curd stand at the local fairs....... oh yes please! That's the first good idea to come out of this thread!!!

Niced: (2)

Old 10-28-2020, 09:08 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 49
Niced 168 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Or like the cheese curd stand at the local fairs....... oh yes please! That's the first good idea to come out of this thread!!!
I bet the grease from the cheese sticks makes grip worse and putting gets harder thus raising scores and making a smaller basket irrelevant.

Of course the problem then is no one will make birdies and thats the entire object of the game. Damn