Old 10-28-2020, 07:51 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 356 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
I fear that to fix will not be enough and this will lead PDGA to a no foot work over the lie even if suspended above the ground but still over the lie will not be allowed happen and then some Brush parts of wooded courses will end with lies where nobody can take a spot due to needing to do some odd hover foot thing and they have to go back to previous lie, causing players to in beyond tight brush have to leave old lie/mini and check the new to see if it is safe to play first not needing to crane over the mini for the only stance, slowing down the game even more then we need.
nah.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2020, 07:51 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 446 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...unique#usage-1

Can something be very unique or somewhat unique?: Usage Guide
Many commentators have objected to the comparison or modification (as by somewhat or very) of unique, often asserting that a thing is either unique or it is not. Objections are based chiefly on the assumption that unique has but a single absolute sense, an assumption contradicted by information readily available in a dictionary. Unique dates back to the 17th century but was little used until the end of the 18th when, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, it was reacquired from French. H. J. Todd entered it as a foreign word in his edition (1818) of Johnson's Dictionary, characterizing it as "affected and useless." Around the middle of the 19th century it ceased to be considered foreign and came into considerable popular use. With popular use came a broadening of application beyond the original two meanings (here numbered senses 1 and 2a). In modern use both comparison and modification are widespread and standard but are confined to the extended senses 2b and 3. When sense 1 or sense 2a is intended, unique is used without qualifying modifiers.
yeah, I love this stuff....

Niced: (1)
Old 10-28-2020, 09:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 419 Times in 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
If you just put in the smaller baskets it would stop being the answer to everything.
Someone offered to install the baskets if you and team smaller baskets provided them.

Next step is up to you. We no longer need countless posts. We require action from the faithful.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 85
Niced 616 Times in 319 Posts

A smaller basket will happen. I think Paul will have a signature basket.

Think about it. The only piece of equipment left to really innovate and colab with a player is the basket.

This would send shockwaves through disc golf and sell like hotcakes. The players realize they make the companies more profitable then the companies themselves.

They will continue to be involved in disc design/course design/AND they will get involved with basket design.

(I believe Stokley already took a stab at this. A relevant player would be a different story)
Old 10-28-2020, 11:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,537 Times in 1,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
A smaller basket will happen. I think Paul will have a signature basket.

Think about it. The only piece of equipment left to really innovate and colab with a player is the basket.

This would send shockwaves through disc golf and sell like hotcakes. The players realize they make the companies more profitable then the companies themselves.

They will continue to be involved in disc design/course design/AND they will get involved with basket design.

(I believe Stokley already took a stab at this. A relevant player would be a different story)
Sure. I think you are looking for this thread. There is a sadly deranged guy over there, starting a world basket revolution. That would leave this thread for step/jump putting discussion....and some weird linguistic stuff.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...60#post3649460

Old 10-28-2020, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 213
Niced 632 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
yeah, I love this stuff....
Me, too. SO I'll egg it on. Quick note: IBL

Quote:
Yes, it is subjective (and it's "pedantic", no n). What you would consider pedantic may be very different from what someone else considers pedantic.

And while the modern dictionary notes it is generally derogatory towards an individual, it's also about excessive detail or in this case focus on the minutia of the rules. In this case (as with most rules discussions here) there are numerous participants.

Every rules discussion seems to be equivalent to arguing the definition of the term "is" from the Clinton hearings.

My wife calls it lawyering when the kids do it in regards to our family rules. They try to parse the rules for loopholes.
Since when is "subjectivity" a criteria for a non-gradable or uncomparable adjective? Is that a requirement that you learned that perhaps I didn't? I might be able to think of several non-gradable adjectives that remain of the opinion variety. A couple quick examples might include impossible or essential.

There might even be some adjectives that are non-gradable in one definition and having degrees of comparison in other definitions.

The adjective American comes to mind right away, particularly in the current political climate in the US. I hear the expression, "____ is more American than _____" all the time. Yet it confounds me how an "American flag", an "American territory", or "American manufacturing" can be even more American??? Does that make sense? Perhaps it is true that some adjectives depend upon the meaning.

Quote:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...unique#usage-1

Can something be very unique or somewhat unique?: Usage Guide
Many commentators have objected to the comparison or modification (as by somewhat or very) of unique, often asserting that a thing is either unique or it is not. Objections are based chiefly on the assumption that unique has but a single absolute sense, an assumption contradicted by information readily available in a dictionary. Unique dates back to the 17th century but was little used until the end of the 18th when, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, it was reacquired from French. H. J. Todd entered it as a foreign word in his edition (1818) of Johnson's Dictionary, characterizing it as "affected and useless." Around the middle of the 19th century it ceased to be considered foreign and came into considerable popular use. With popular use came a broadening of application beyond the original two meanings (here numbered senses 1 and 2a). In modern use both comparison and modification are widespread and standard but are confined to the extended senses 2b and 3. When sense 1 or sense 2a is intended, unique is used without qualifying modifiers.
This is a particular example. I'll get away from the TL;DR detail above and simplify.

1st definition of unique that I found is "existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics; one of a kind; as in a unique copy of an ancient manuscript."

Using other meanings, then I might agree your statements above are correct. But in the #1 definition I think not. Can a "one-of-a-kind" item be "even more one-of-a-kind-er"? If it is the sole/singular/only ancient manuscript, can another manuscript be even more sole-ish, singular-ish or only-er? Or less, perhaps?

Then maybe Steve & I were using pedantic in a different sense than you. No problem in my mind. It's a case where (in my opinion) we are both right. I still stand with Steve. But neither position is more right (or is it righter?) than the other.

Last edited by araytx; 10-28-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:38 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 60 Times in 37 Posts

How about allowing jump putting to continue but you can't go past your lie period. None of this well the disc was out of my hand before my foot landed crap. No going past your lie no matter how you get the disc to the basket!

Niced: (2)
Old 10-28-2020, 02:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,537 Times in 1,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyboy View Post
How about allowing jump putting to continue but you can't go past your lie period. None of this well the disc was out of my hand before my foot landed crap. No going past your lie no matter how you get the disc to the basket!
i honestly think this is the answer to any change request. It allows for people, that have convinced themselves that jump/step putting is the answer, to continue. Jump away, just hit your mark like every other throw and stay behind your mark.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,654 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
No going past your lie no matter how you get the disc to the basket!
Been suggesting that for years. Even emailed the PDGA a long time ago. Just never gets any traction. I honestly think it's just too obvious of a solution that some people can't grasp it without over complicating it.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:20 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 427
Niced 2,294 Times in 1,093 Posts

Quote:
There is a video of a player running across the tee and leaping far enough sideways to throw down a different gap while still in the air.

He didn't go past the lie, but I don't want that to be a legal throw. I want a supporting point at the moment of release.