Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 05-09-2017, 11:33 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 80
Niced 267 Times in 102 Posts

A friend that introduced to the game has always putted this way. I tried to "fix" his stance but he was throwing air balls with his right foot forward. I told him to do whatever feels natural and he's ended up getting to 70-80% from 20' a lot faster than i did.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2020, 11:33 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm actually having this problem too. Everyone says I "should" putt with my right foot forward. I've always been putting with my left forward. Every tournament I play, everyone asks me, Why do you putt with you left hand forward? I can't change because it will change my game. What should I do?
Old 10-28-2020, 11:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,567 Times in 978 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa_troopa View Post
I'm actually having this problem too. Everyone says I "should" putt with my right foot forward. I've always been putting with my left forward. Every tournament I play, everyone asks me, Why do you putt with you left hand forward? I can't change because it will change my game. What should I do?
Change your game.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 41
Niced 849 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa_troopa View Post
Really just depends on if you're comfortable with where your putting game is at or if you want to improve. If you feel like you make enough putts to compete at the level you want, then don't worry about. Just ignore the naysayers and can those putts. But if you want to improve, then you probably will need to at least introduce a second putting style for longer putts (to allow for better power and weight transfer) or make the switch altogether.

I recently made the switch from a Ricky-style nose-down putt at all times to introducing a straddle for inside 20'. I did this for a couple reasons. One, I felt like my gimme range was too small, since I would miss a 15 footer about 10-20% of the time and I wanted that figure to be around 95%. And two, the courses I'm playing now are heavily wooded with cluttered greens. I have to straddle at least once or twice per round just out of necessity, which is just enough to impact a scorecard but not enough to where it becomes comfortable. So I put in the work on the practice basket (which is really boring BTW when you're only practicing inside 20') and now within a month I actually am more comfortable using my new putting form than my old one.

Point is that all it takes is a month or so of practice to build the muscle memory, and then what felt unnatural will actually feel comfortable. Is it worth the time and effort if you're happy with your putting game? No. Is it worth it if you want to improve? Yes!

Old 10-28-2020, 02:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 389 Times in 182 Posts

Out of curiosity, are you sidearm dominant?