Old 10-29-2020, 08:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,265 Times in 1,000 Posts

I have no idea when I'll be comfortable going to a bar, restaurant or indoor concert again. Maybe next summer?

-sigh-
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-29-2020, 09:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,447 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Similarly, my own life isn't much altered. Mostly minor inconveniences -- about 30 minutes a week with a mask, missing out on a few public events (the state fair is cancelled).

Just ran a tournament, and will do another in a week, with some modifications.....some of which, I rather liked.
As to the latter....

Ours is a 4-man team-play tournament, with a variety of match play & doubles formats, so the digital scorekeeping doesn't work for us.

It's on a private course, run from my house. Normally, registration is either on the porch or inside, depending on weather. This year, both were No Trespassing zones, which I rather enjoyed.

We went trophy-only to avoid payouts. Only the 20 team captains checked in; they picked up players packs for the entire teams. As a player I don't particularly care for players packs, and in the past we haven't given them; but I was relieved to not be handling merchandise.

No players meeting made me nervous---because of the odd formats and other things, there are a lot of ways for people to screw up---but the printed rules (in the players packs) sufficed. No awards ceremony was great; a lot of players were able to hit the road as soon as the last round ended.

I did pull out our accumulated Lost & Found, and had to constantly ask people to use hand sanitizer before rifling through them. But everyone did when asked, without complaint.

Like the standard tournaments going to digital scorekeeping, some of these changes, we'll probably keep in a post-Covid world. Though, one day, we'll probably shake the winners' hands again.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,536 Times in 711 Posts

I work in Corporate Event Management for a large company in Central Wisconsin.

On March 3rd I had an 800+ person event cancel the day before, while we were doing the AV Run-Thru.

I knew we were in trouble at that point.

We officially shut down operations March 16th and I worked from home for a little over a month and then was moved to our golf course to help maintain it over the 2020 season.

We never opened our course and kept all other facilities closed and will remain closed until at least January (I don't expect we will be opening until Spring at the earliest).

All of our January and February events are cancelled (internal corporate and third party, including gigantic weddings that were already rescheduled from this past summer/fall).

My job on the course ends in two weeks and then I'm apparently being reassigned until we can start the opening process.

I have changed my life to a certain degree. Mainly going to the grocery store or Target and avoiding bars/restaurants. I worked as a bartender for years and am over going out anyway.

It sucks not seeing friends and family on a regular basis though.

That and home schooling our kid is tough, but I think it will be best for her in the long run. Our district has in-person and virtual, so teachers aren't available to help. We are teaching her ourselves with an admin to help with online stuff.

Given what I know from our parent company and their plans with the home office and events, I wouldn't expect my world to get back to normal until late 2021, even early 2022.

That world includes two restaurants (casual and high-end), a golf course, soon to be completed hotel and multiple event/banquet venues.

So I don't know what that means for everyone else, but I think it's a realistic timeline.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:54 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 332
Niced 4,737 Times in 2,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notapro View Post
I fixated on this chart that the Mayor showed in the video. Restaurants have been open since June, yet no spike in cases. In my mind, it seems arbitrary, even illogical, to shut down restaurants because the number of cases is increasing.

Everyone who is against eating in restaurants because they're unsafe... have you eaten in a restaurant in the last 6 months? All the restaurants I've been to are very, very good about distancing people, providing good ventilation, and making sure their employees are wearing masks. Maybe I'm just biased, but I really don't see this as a big deal.

Even if the chance of getting it while eating at restaurant are relatively low, it's a LOT lower if I take that meal to go. I'm only there for a scant fraction of the time I would be for a sit down meal.

Plus I simply wouldn't be able to enjoy my meal looking at all the other people without masks on.
People whom I have no clue as to how careful they've been about mask wearing, hand washing, or partying.

Nor do I have a good feeling about who sat there before me. Sure, they clean tables between seating, but do they sanitize them?

I'll just eat at home or in the park for the foreseeable future, and take my chances with the people who prepared, and bagged my meal and whomever handled my credit card, rather them + all their customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
I have no idea when I'll be comfortable going to a bar, restaurant or indoor concert again. Maybe next summer?

-sigh-
Pretty much. No clue when I'll go see a movie at the cinema... or a ball game for that matter.

Might be safer to open up if mask wearing was a lot more prevalent, and conspiracy theorists fewer and farther between.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 10-29-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,447 Times in 2,106 Posts

For dine-in restaurant patrons, does is strike you that because they're apparently not concerned about dining in, they're probably not concerned about precautions in other aspects of their life? That is, not only are they unmasked and indoors, but they're perhaps more likely to be infected?

Not everyone, of course, but a higher percentage than the overall population?

Old 10-29-2020, 10:07 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,134 Times in 442 Posts

Overheard another coworker today talking about a nurse friend working in a field hospital (Wisconsin?). Lots of attention on case numbers right now but the hospitalization situation sounds like it’s deteriorating pretty rapidly in a number of places.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-29-2020, 10:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 75
Niced 944 Times in 349 Posts

Last week the wife and I ate at a restaurant for the first time since since March — outdoor patio lunch at a good Tex Mex place. That was nice. Other than that, still locked down, both working from home with no social engagements. Sucks, but I’ve gotten used to it. Thinking about rejoining my Sunday morning league. Shouldn’t be too difficult to maintain distance from cardmates.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,599 Times in 1,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
One of my coworkers has a sister who is a nurse in MI and it sounds like things are getting pretty bad there again as far as hospital capacity. True from where you are? Evidently the entire state of AK has 8 ICU beds left...though that would mean more to me if I had a better idea how many we normally have open.
Yeah, today's numbers were at the levels that we were the second week in May. That is pretty bad. I work for an eight hospital system and the largest in the state.

The real concern is we are going to lose capacity to the flu. So even if it only gets at bad as April, we are likely short a few hundred more beds and ICU rooms/vents because of the flu.

I won't lie....I am getting VERY fearful. From a purely selfish standpoint, I could end up going back to bedside, I am not sure I can do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post

-sigh-
This entire thread today has made me sad. It is obvious this is a sacrifice by everyone. We are all making extreme compromises in our lives. I think that is much of the frustration when we see some, making none. There are things that are currently off my list forever. I will reconsider in a while, but now...no chance. Flying, concerts, restaurants, weddings, funerals, dart league, sitting at the bar watching the hockey game.....sigh.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:41 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 332
Niced 4,737 Times in 2,071 Posts

You know who I REALLY feel for?

Lower income single moms, with a 2-3 kids.
Is she even able to work?

What about households with one computer, if mom or dad has to work from home?
How do the kids get lessons online when a parent has to commandeer the computer all day just to keep a paycheck? I'd be scared chitless to my kids to elementary school... seems like a freakin' breeding ground.

This thing is really hitting the poorest of us disproportionately.

I thank my lucky stars my kids are adults, living on their own, and all of us are able to work remotely.

My son has to work in a engineering test lab 2-3 days a week, but they are temp screening each employee before entering the building, and the company provides masks for employees to wear. Ford has done pretty much everything it can to help its employees reduce the spread, and has been great about updating protocols for when plant employees test positive. They've extended working remotely (for employees who can) through June 2021.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 10-29-2020 at 10:45 PM.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 530
Niced 123 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
This entire thread today has made me sad. It is obvious this is a sacrifice by everyone. We are all making extreme compromises in our lives. I think that is much of the frustration when we see some, making none. There are things that are currently off my list forever. I will reconsider in a while, but now...no chance. Flying, concerts, restaurants, weddings, funerals, dart league, sitting at the bar watching the hockey game.....sigh.
Well, if it makes you feel any better I'm going to pass on your information to the person that linked me the Orland Park mayor video, we're all reasonable folk.