Old 10-30-2020, 01:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,546 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notapro View Post
Well, if it makes you feel any better I'm going to pass on your information to the person that linked me the Orland Park mayor video, we're all reasonable folk.
I hope my opinion made some impact. There is a LOT of great science linked in this thread. It is pretty large and there is a lot of it. But, there are some very smart golfers hanging out here, providing some very solid science.

Regardless of our opinions, it is my hope that you keep you and your loved one safe as can be.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-30-2020, 09:59 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 429 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
There are things that are currently off my list forever. I will reconsider in a while, but now...no chance. Flying, concerts, restaurants, weddings, funerals, dart league, sitting at the bar watching the hockey game.....sigh.
Indoor winter putting leagues man, I am going to miss those this year. I have a 9 year winter putting league streak going, 3 of which I was the winner of, going that will be broken this year.

Not even 3 different injuries that required surgery and some long, scary snow and ice filled drives at night could stop me, but ultimately it was the coronavirus that ended it this year.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 414 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
One of my coworkers has a sister who is a nurse in MI and it sounds like things are getting pretty bad there again as far as hospital capacity. True from where you are? Evidently the entire state of AK has 8 ICU beds left...though that would mean more to me if I had a better idea how many we normally have open.
According to the statement issued in March 160. so you've used up ~ 95% of your available beds already.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Niced 4,546 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
One of my coworkers has a sister who is a nurse in MI and it sounds like things are getting pretty bad there again as far as hospital capacity. True from where you are? Evidently the entire state of AK has 8 ICU beds left...though that would mean more to me if I had a better idea how many we normally have open.
Here is an article outlining the entire state's status.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ak/6082830002/
Old 10-30-2020, 10:24 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 11.2
Niced 511 Times in 211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notapro View Post
I fixated on this chart that the Mayor showed in the video. Restaurants have been open since June, yet no spike in cases. In my mind, it seems arbitrary, even illogical, to shut down restaurants because the number of cases is increasing.

Everyone who is against eating in restaurants because they're unsafe... have you eaten in a restaurant in the last 6 months? All the restaurants I've been to are very, very good about distancing people, providing good ventilation, and making sure their employees are wearing masks. Maybe I'm just biased, but I really don't see this as a big deal.

Appreciate that you're backing your views up with reasonable data.

That said, please be safe and healthy, I'd like to bag more courses with ya sometime, buddy!

Can't do that if you're Covid-ified.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:23 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 347 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Similarly, Maryland traced 5,796 of 26,883 (22%) of cases in "high risk locations" to indoor dining at restaurants and bars.

Edit: Contact tracing | Maryland Department of Health
I think there are definitely some bar/restaurant settings that are clearly dangerous, but I wonder how dangerous the ones that are following guidelines are. I know my state has some pretty strict guidelines, it's 25% occupancy unless you submit a plan showing how your restaurant can safely serve more customers. In my particular county after the initial re-opening we had a temporary restaurant shutdown for a couple weeks based primarily on cases tied to a few scofflaw establishments. The rest of the industry was really pissed because they had done a lot of work to be compliant.

The other question I have for the restaurant tracing, is who and how are people getting infected. Is it a random diner getting infected by someone they don't know, or is it a group of buddies deciding to get together at a restaurant sitting at the same table infecting each other? The implications of the two are very different.

I really wonder how much the afternoon lunch crowd or a husband and wife going to dinner at a "safely" operated restaurant are contributing to the spread.

I read a news article on one of the state governors discussing the pandemic, I believe it was Maryland. They were stressing how most of their new cases were coming from "gatherings" and "household spread", because people were becoming complacent and expanding their "bubbles". I think to a degree all of this mask talk and shut down X and Y talk distracts from the real issue: which is people are getting fatigued and complacent and slowly expanding the number of family and friends they have close contact with. Pretty much everyone I know who got it, got it that way. They took all of the daily life safety precautions, and then decided to go see friends who "were being safe" and BAM they got it.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

We have restaurants that are pretty much refusing to do any of the 'required' steps. As we all know, a fine just means it's legal if you can afford it. As a result, we just do takeout. The problem with a restaurant/bar setting is that you're in a situation where you really can't use masks to reduce spread (you're quite obviously using your gob), and you're sitting there for an extended period of time. Inherently, it's riskier than 10 minutes in a store.

https://english.elpais.com/society/2...h-the-air.html

Niced: (2)
Old 10-30-2020, 11:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 88
Niced 503 Times in 267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
My son has to work in a engineering test lab 2-3 days a week, but they are temp screening each employee before entering the building, and the company provides masks for employees to wear. Ford has done pretty much everything it can to help its employees reduce the spread, and has been great about updating protocols for when plant employees test positive. They've extended working remotely (for employees who can) through June 2021.
Sounds familiar, I run the automotive engineering test labs for my company (we're a component supplier). Sounds like the measures are similar across the industry. Self-screening questionnaire and check-in when you arrive, temp checks, surgical masks required anytime you're in the building. We removed a lot of communal touchpoints, removed doorways, made hallways one-way, etc. Strict limits on the number of people who can be in each zone of the building at once. Split shifts and alternating daily schedules to keep people working full-time without having too many in the building at once. Working from home if possible until next June as well. It's not possible for a lot of my staff to work from home more than a couple days a week, you have to be physically present to operate equipment and run tests. I mostly live my life on phone and video calls.

For work, the biggest issue has been navigating the various rules and shutdowns in the different countries where we operate. At different times, our different facilities have been subject to local government shutdowns and restrictions. At the same time, my particular group's workload has actually been increasing. So I'm trying to expand capabilities, hire new people through video interviews & training, and install new equipment during all of this. It's been really tough when you don't know whether a technician is able to come in for service without quarantining for 14 days. In Mexico it's been particularly bad, several people I work with have had close relatives (including elderly parents) die from COVID.

Personally it was brutal back in March/April/May when our son's preschool closed. We were all super sick through March (probably with COVID, couldn't get tested at the time). By the time we got better, the whole world had shut down. My wife and I were both working full-time at home with a 4-year-old. We ended up basically watching him in shifts while the other person worked, and catching up by working late at night every day. There was zero free time for months. Now that the preschool is back open, there's some semblance of normalcy. Just no restaurants, malls, or any of the normal social activities that you take a little kid to. Backyard visits with the grandparents. He asks us all the time why he can't go to the park, or the aquarium, or the bowling alley, or whatever. We try to explain in a non-scary way, but it's got to be confusing for a little kid.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-30-2020, 11:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 88
Niced 503 Times in 267 Posts

That Cook County hospitalization graph has been thrown around a bunch of times on this thread, thought I would double-check the IDPH site just to see if it's correct. This is what I see (today's data). Looks like the other graph cuts off at just the right time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (22.2 KB, 24 views)

Old 10-30-2020, 12:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
That Cook County hospitalization graph has been thrown around a bunch of times on this thread, thought I would double-check the IDPH site just to see if it's correct. This is what I see (today's data). Looks like the other graph cuts off at just the right time.
Old data is bad data.

Niced: (1)