Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Raised baskets and artificial OB/ropes 17 17.71%
Standard height and natural rough 79 82.29%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 01:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,456 Times in 2,111 Posts

The vast majority thinks the USDGC is so silly that they'll fight and scrap for entry, even pay a huge entry fee, even players who have no chance of cashing. They think it's so silly that thousands will waste their weekend forming a mob gallery to watch in person. They think it's so silly that they'll scream if the USDGC doesn't provide live video coverage.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2020, 01:21 PM
Size Queen

Niced 187 Times in 124 Posts

JuanA-

Raised baskets and artificial OB have both come to prominence to raise scores the last 10 years, even more so the last 5. So yes since both or not original to the game of disc golf and recent trends I find them both similar. Watch just about any DGPT event and you will get to see both. It looks like 85% of people would prefer normal height baskets and natural rough. So it is completely fair and reasonable. I guess I shouldn't be surprised it's that high as most people I play with like neither.

Sure the sport is growing, but it's not because of raised baskets and roped off fairways. lol

Last edited by oldmandiscer; 09-22-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:21 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 386 Times in 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
When you're digging that hole for your anchor, just forget the anchor and insert the basket flush with the ground like ball golf.
I've never aced, but one of the local courses doubles as a foot golf course with a hole pretty close to the disc golf basket. I've thrown my tee shot into the foot golf hole 3 times.

If we go to baskets in the ground, can I retroactively count those as aces?

Niced: (3)
Old 09-22-2020, 01:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 102
Niced 1,031 Times in 471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
...It looks like 85% of people would prefer normal height baskets and natural rough. So it is completely fair and reasonable. I guess I shouldn't be surprised it's that high as most people I play with like neither.
How would your poll turn out if the options were:

Raised baskets and natural OB

or

Normal baskets and roped off OB

Do you see how your wording is slanted to get the results you wanted? Basically you're asking which is better, "Pizza and Beer" or "PB&J and water".

Niced: (4)
Old 09-22-2020, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,608 Times in 1,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
JuanA-

Raised baskets and artificial OB have both come to prominence to raise scores the last 10 years, even more so the last 5. So yes since both or not original to the game of disc golf and recent trends I find them both similar. Watch just about any DGPT event and you will get to see both. It looks like 85% of people would prefer normal height baskets and natural rough. So it is completely fair and reasonable. I guess I shouldn't be surprised it's that high as most people I play with like neither.

Sure the sport is growing, but it's not because of raised baskets and roped off fairways. lol
This post is the proof that this thread will go no differently than smaller baskets. This will continue without facts, data or any validity. Oldman will simply make stuff up and continue to argue, until everyone stops feeding him or we all just admit he is right. I suggest the former. I bow out of this nonsense. There is no problem, solution or opinion to continue to discuss. Good luck to you stallwarts.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-22-2020, 01:33 PM
Size Queen

Niced 187 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post

or

Do you see how your wording is slanted to get the results you wanted? Basically you're asking which is better, "Pizza and Beer" or "PB&J and water".
Sure, but the two gimmicks are designed to raise scores and recent trends. The other two are not. They contradict each other.

So placing both gimmicks together is logical. You are going to spilt the votes more if you add one gimmick in each poll choice. Yeah of course. Because most people do not like them.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,456 Times in 2,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post

or

How would the poll results differ if the audience weren't selected from people who respond to the word "gimmicks" in the thread title?

Of course, any poll of a self-selected group is of dubious value.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:39 PM
Tiny White Balls

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 185 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The vast majority thinks the USDGC is so silly that they'll fight and scrap for entry, even pay a huge entry fee, even players who have no chance of cashing. They think it's so silly that thousands will waste their weekend forming a mob gallery to watch in person. They think it's so silly that they'll scream if the USDGC doesn't provide live video coverage.
Have you ever seen the crowds for Holey Moley?
Old 09-22-2020, 02:41 PM
Banned

Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
How would the poll results differ if the audience weren't selected from people who respond to the word "gimmicks" in the thread title?

Of course, any poll of a self-selected group is of dubious value.

wow do you own a rope company or 'longer metal tube' business?

Niced: (1)

Old 09-22-2020, 03:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 286 Times in 172 Posts

Another issue with the poll is that it is worded to be all or nothing. But I've never seen a course with all the baskets elevated. I'm good with a mix of elevated and 'normal' baskets; along with roped/artificial OB and natural (rough) OB.

Sometimes artificial OB has to be added to a course for safety reasons...with normal play, there aren't always a lot of players and every hole might not be in use. In tournament play, usually the course is full and a 'normal' line of play might take a disc into an area where there are players.

Now for the word gimmicks....I don't think raised baskets and artificial OB are gimmicks. Gimmick courses are ones like Flying Armadillo (I think that is the name)...but it still looks like a fun course. Kind of like comparing a ball golf course to a miniature golf course. Both serve a purpose and both can be enjoyable.

Closed Thread