Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Raised baskets and artificial OB/ropes 17 17.71%
Standard height and natural rough 79 82.29%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 05:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,585 Times in 1,590 Posts

POLL: Would you rather:

Be in a car crash

Be in an airplane crash

Troll.....see 95% of people support car crashes. SMH.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2020, 05:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 176 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
The trouble with a lot of surveys is that they are biased towards what the surveyor wants to get as an answer. For example, with this post there are only two options 1: Raised baskets AND artificial OB/ropes or 2: standard height and natural rough. What about: Raised baskets and natural rough? What about standard height and artificial OB? What about the 'both work' option? And the 'neither work'? And there's the 'I don't care either way' option.

The current poll doesn't tell anyone 'what is out there'....all it does is support the poller's opinion - as it appears to be intended. I could be wrong on the poller's intent, but that is what I get from the only options presented.
Artificial OB and raised baskets have been heavily pushed by the DGPT and other major events over the last 5-6 years. It's a very common course set up condition used to create higher scores. This is the TREND that disc golf has been going. Yeah sure I could include other options, but these specific option directly contradict each other and is the most valuable information since this is EXACTLY what is happening to disc golf right now.

Disc golf didn't start out with raised baskets and artificial OB (other then property lines) so these are very similar recent trends. That is why they are included together.

I'm sorry if you like these gimmicks, have a course and design it with these features, but the poll doesn't lie. In general I have talked to while playing with many disc golfer over the years and I would say most do not like them either, so it doesn't surprise me that the poll results are what they are.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:02 PM
Banned

Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Artificial OB and raised baskets have been heavily pushed by the DGPT and other major events over the last 5-6 years. It's a very common course set up condition used to create higher scores. This is the TREND that disc golf has been going. Yeah sure I could include other options, but these specific option directly contradict each other and is the most valuable information since this is EXACTLY what is happening to disc golf right now.

Disc golf didn't start out with raised baskets and artificial OB (other then property lines) so these are very similar recent trends. That is why they are included together.

I'm sorry if you like these gimmicks, have a course and design it with these features, but the poll doesn't lie. In general I have talked to while playing with many disc golfer over the years and I would say most do not like them either, so it doesn't surprise me that the poll results are what they are.
the majority of people know this to be true, but the 10 or so DGCR elite (vocal troll minority) all think another way so CLEARLY that is the popular opinion.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-21-2020, 06:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,585 Times in 1,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'alcooltue View Post
the majority of people know this to be true, but the 10 or so DGCR elite (vocal troll minority) all think another way so CLEARLY that is the popular opinion.
OK troll.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,438 Times in 2,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
The trouble with a lot of surveys is that they are biased towards what the surveyor wants to get as an answer. For example, with this post there are only two options 1: Raised baskets AND artificial OB/ropes or 2: standard height and natural rough. What about: Raised baskets and natural rough? What about standard height and artificial OB? What about the 'both work' option? And the 'neither work'? And there's the 'I don't care either way' option.

The current poll doesn't tell anyone 'what is out there'....all it does is support the poller's opinion - as it appears to be intended. I could be wrong on the poller's intent, but that is what I get from the only options presented.
And an even bigger problem is that surveys tend to ask a yes-or-no question to a nuanced circumstance. There's no place for "I'd rather have a creek and call it OB, but I can live with a roped area that plays exactly the same", or "I like baskets on mounds, but not on tall poles" or "Are we talking about watching disc golf, or playing disc golf?" or "Throwing across water is cool but if I've got to do it often, I'd be happier with an OB that gives me my disc back."

Niced: (3)
Old 09-21-2020, 06:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,438 Times in 2,105 Posts

Also, could we have a definition of "artificial". A man-made pond? A roadway or fence? Or just something a designer or TD put in, specifically for disc golf?

Niced: (1)
Old 09-21-2020, 07:17 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 49
Niced 168 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Check the results, people DO NOT like raised baskets and artificial OB. Maybe the real trolls are very annoying and boisterous so many feel like not speaking up against you trolls.
Wrong, I prefer natural courses but I do not dislike raised baskets and artificial ob. Just like I prefer Supreme Pizza but if everyone else wants pepperoni, I just go with it because pizza is good no matter what.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:26 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 183 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
POLL: Would you rather:

Be in a car crash

Be in an airplane crash

Troll.....see 95% of people support car crashes. SMH.
Airplane. Much deeper pockets.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 470 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Airplane. Much deeper pockets.
I hope you make it to your Final Destination.
Does your alt acct, l'cooter, need a ticket?

Niced: (2)

Old 09-21-2020, 07:40 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 32
Niced 542 Times in 196 Posts

Poll answers are a false dichotomy and the only way to win is not to play.

Niced: (2)
Closed Thread