Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Raised baskets and artificial OB/ropes 17 17.71%
Standard height and natural rough 79 82.29%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 07:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 41.3
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 245 Times in 142 Posts

Ginger or Mary Anne?
Is that a false dichotomy?

thanks Mitch Hedberg!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2020, 07:59 PM
Tiny White Balls

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 185 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTooLong View Post
Raised baskets highlight more of the variables that disc flights have when traveling toward a target. I think players are going to continue to adjust their putting as these become more normalized and we will see some exciting putts start connecting a lot when players realize they must attack on these baskets score well and finish high.
I sure hope not. I think ALL baskets should be a standardized height from the ground, measured from bottom of basket to where pole hits the ground. The gimmicks are great for casual rounds if you are into that, but I feel they have no place in any kind of serious competitive play. When i play a PDGA sanctioned event, I don't expect it to have the same feel as a charity ball golf scramble, my expectations thus far have been shattered, I am sorry to report. Gimmicks, newly created holes (just because), and such only devalue tournaments for people who care about honest competition. Courses should be designed around natural obstacles and only the natural boundaries should be out of bounds.

Long history of PGA players refusing to play courses they thought were gimmicky or any course where there is in-course out of bounds as it is not a proper test of skill.

We already have a target that is usually moving as you putt. Enough is enough.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-21-2020, 08:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,586 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Yeah nice try, 83% don't like the way the game has been going!!!

Who are the trolls again? The 17%.
Source?

Niced: (1)
Old 09-21-2020, 08:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I sure hope not. I think ALL baskets should be a standardized height from the ground, measured from bottom of basket to where pole hits the ground. The gimmicks are great for casual rounds if you are into that, but I feel they have no place in any kind of serious competitive play. When i play a PDGA sanctioned event, I don't expect it to have the same feel as a charity ball golf scramble, my expectations thus far have been shattered, I am sorry to report. Gimmicks, newly created holes (just because), and such only devalue tournaments for people who care about honest competition. Courses should be designed around natural obstacles and only the natural boundaries should be out of bounds.

Long history of PGA players refusing to play courses they thought were gimmicky or any course where there is in-course out of bounds as it is not a proper test of skill.

How's that course of yours coming along? Can't wait to see pictures.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-21-2020, 08:43 PM
Size Queen

Niced 195 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Also, could we have a definition of "artificial". A man-made pond? A roadway or fence? Or just something a designer or TD put in, specifically for disc golf?
I would think most would agree that painted lines, ropes and stakes with land marked "OB" is considered artificial. I can see no pond is there. But since a magic line is there I suppose I am suppose to imagine it?

So yes something the designer put in to make the course scores higher. Property line is OK, that is understandable. But even then maybe it shouldn't be next to a "fair"way.

I would say most artificial OB is just adding strokes to add strokes. It's never making a hole play better from my experience. You can actually scramble from woods. Every wooded area doesn't need to be marked OB.

To sum it up, the course or certain holes at some point were considered too easy, so now to make scores higher imaginary lines on the ground are created.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:43 PM
Tiny White Balls

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 2
Niced 185 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
How's that course of yours coming along? Can't wait to see pictures.
I should have it finished by the end of the week. \S
Old 09-21-2020, 08:44 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Source?
84% now.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
84% now.
Ahhh ok. So like every time I've ever asked for a source you are pulling it out of your backside. Got it.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:49 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Ahhh ok. So like every time I've ever asked for a source you are pulling it out of your backside. Got it.
Can you not see the poll?

Old 09-21-2020, 08:50 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 711
Niced 2,687 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post

This old school attitude is squeezing the fun and creativity out of the sport. Fun and creativity have been key reasons why DG has been squeezing away at ball golf's stiff, slow and expensive structure and experience with our massive disc variety, vast array of course lengths, baskets and terrain, private owners cooking up new design elements, plus all weather play. Golf should be about demonstrating skill negotiating these elements, not just primarily power and distance. Both games continue to lose the value of skill, with power and conformity continuing to ramp up in both sports. How much do you think Bryson Dechambeau's literally crushing win will impact ball golf's future direction?

You want to keep players playing and spectators entertained? You need to provide variety of visual elements, technical elements, faster play on shorter courses and tighter not wider scoring spreads to create drama and playoffs. Perhaps only the basket tray should be the same size and level but get creative with the deflection assemblies (including none at all), so every target presents a slightly different challenge. Make the pros and daily players have to learn the best ways to hole out on different configurations. That's true skill not the watered down test of skill based on how far you throw accurately or how straight you can fire putts directly at the basket (takes power also.)

It's not faster action team sports that are the threat to slow paced outdoor sports. It's e-sports that are engaging the next generations from going outside to play sports that could embrace but are not yet embracing the rich variety of risk/reward gaming elements available in e-sports games. Inventing new "gimmicks" borrowing from e-sports elements has untapped potential to take our game into the future to engage players and spectators, not simply longer, more expensive and likely lower traffic courses.

Niced: (3)
Closed Thread