Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Raised baskets and artificial OB/ropes 17 17.71%
Standard height and natural rough 79 82.29%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 09:46 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 711
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,667 Times in 1,119 Posts

Not every gimmick comes forth as a great idea but may be a prototype containing the potential to do or add something interesting for the game. Without testing it, you lose the potential to enhance some aspect of the game but it may have to be tweaked to look better, look more natural, become more skillful or even more fluky if that's the intent. All elements in our game were essentially gimmicks the first time introduced, especially the basket and the bevel edged disc.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:02 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 427
Niced 2,296 Times in 1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
...Make the pros and daily players have to learn the best ways to hole out on different configurations. ...
We may find that they learn that the best way to hole out on different configurations is to always tee off by throwing a putter with huge power to get the distance and accuracy needed to land really close to the target.

We need to test any idea.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:11 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,537 Times in 979 Posts

I am a fan of the occasional raised basket or interesting mando, tons of punishingly tight OB and tons of goofy stuff on every hole, not so much.

Rollin Ridge is an example of how to mix in a few gimmicks well. It has the big freaking pyramid and the tiered green, but also natural OB with the water carries etc.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,285 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I sure hope not. I think ALL baskets should be a standardized height from the ground, measured from bottom of basket to where pole hits the ground. The gimmicks are great for casual rounds if you are into that, but I feel they have no place in any kind of serious competitive play. When i play a PDGA sanctioned event, I don't expect it to have the same feel as a charity ball golf scramble, my expectations thus far have been shattered, I am sorry to report. Gimmicks, newly created holes (just because), and such only devalue tournaments for people who care about honest competition. Courses should be designed around natural obstacles and only the natural boundaries should be out of bounds.

Long history of PGA players refusing to play courses they thought were gimmicky or any course where there is in-course out of bounds as it is not a proper test of skill.

We already have a target that is usually moving as you putt. Enough is enough.
Bless your little heart. You keep trying, but frolf ain't bolf and never will be.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 67
Niced 3,285 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Personally I think that raised baskets, triple mandos and such are more unprofessional looking. Artificial OB isn't equitable to a stroke penalty either when it's everywhere or the basket itself is next to it. If you are an inch either way of this line all of a sudden you are docked a shot. It brings in more luck into the scoring. When it's excessive excessive amounts of luck come into play.

Same with raised baskets in that the baskets are not designed to be hit from below so if the basket is 10 feet high, spit outs are more likely to happen. Again, more luck into the game. Not skill IMO. I think neither adds to the best player winning. Shouldn't we be finding out who played the course the best, not who got the luckiest who also played well?

I do appreciate your imagination into changing the basket. But I am with ballgolfconvert that 18 identical same height baskets are the most professional looking playing targets.

Thank god you aren't in charge and are stuck trolling instead.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,576 Times in 1,034 Posts

I think raised baskets, some artificial OB, mandos, etc. are a way of course designers to experiment with the game and express some creativity. Too bad some folks want to squash that creativity in the name of looking "professional."

Old 09-21-2020, 10:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 41.3
Courses Played: 20
Niced 245 Times in 142 Posts

What we would do well to notice is Kennedy's openness to new experiences. The conflict between relative levels of this trait creates many issues in life, but is particularly apparent in a sport which trends conservative like golf.

He is also correct about the emergence of new beneficial ideas, which almost always are generated by people exercising entrepreneurial or artistic traits. Remember when the game started, some friends just got together and basically made it up as they went along. I'm almost certain that the raised basket idea 'came out of left field' by somebody who thought 'this would be cool', just like a hanging basket (or the invention of the 'scooBer' delivery). Can anyone imagine, long ago, ole Steady Ed with this crazy idea trying to sell others on it? They tried it. It's personally frustrating to me that some dig in their heels just talking about trying a cheap, simple idea, with virtually no down-side, certainly in the short term, but that's people (devil's advocates notwithstanding)...it's an interesting pattern...

I like to think there's plenty of design space left, and there's definitely a sweet-spot between order and chaos where all the real action (growth) occurs...it's where disc golf makes its bargain with the future.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-21-2020, 10:59 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 32
Niced 542 Times in 196 Posts

I guess this isn't the best thread to bring up my windmill hole idea.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:06 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,204 Times in 995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
I prefer whichever is more stable

On a more serious note, why the groupings? I like raised baskets, dislike artificial OB.
I like raised baskets if used right and not just to make a hard hole harder but rather to make a very easy hole play a tad harder. This is only liked if the normal course has the basket raised for the average player and not just for high level tournaments.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:07 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,204 Times in 995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
I guess this isn't the best thread to bring up my windmill hole idea.
Now a regular basket on the top of a mini golf sized windmill, if there is an easy way to get the disc down...

Closed Thread