Old 10-22-2020, 10:23 AM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Well how about that. I lost my hypothetical $5....
I figured you would like that
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-22-2020, 11:25 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 183 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
This could actually work but only in the winter time in the Northern part of the US when it's cold AF out and snow is down/most people don't wanna play outside. Come January I'd actually like/enjoy/use an indoor training facility. If you had nets up it wouldn't even have to be that big, something like an indoor soccer facility would be cool. Have some baskets out too.

This wouldn't even be something you'd necessarily have to create. It could be as simple as renting an existing indoor facility and bringing the nets/baskets and charging people a fee to cover your costs and make some money. You could probably create some type of field events/putting events too.
The problem is you want to practice with your own discs. If discs were all the same like golf balls, then this could work. But they are not. Even the same mold has inconsistencies from disc to disc.

I could see a range to try a disc out before buying, but buckets of disc are unlikely to ever work so a profit could be made.

Perhaps you could throw into a huge hole with holographic targets with a disc return mechanism built in.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-22-2020, 11:25 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Niced 425 Times in 210 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danderlion View Post
My home course (Oregon Park) has a driving range which is probably 1,000' from front to back. It's free and rarely gets used (I use it from time to time ). It seems most people would rather just play and try to improve on the course.

1000? Guess I could choke it down and just throw mids and putters.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:26 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 102
Niced 1,024 Times in 471 Posts

I don't think I would use a facility like this for practice, since I'd rather throw my own personal discs.

However it would be nice to go somewhere to throw a stack of discs I'm not familiar with. I don't know much about other manufacturers, so this sounds like a good way to learn about their discs.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Niced 425 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
I don't think I would use a facility like this for practice, since I'd rather throw my own personal discs.

However it would be nice to go somewhere to throw a stack of discs I'm not familiar with. I don't know much about other manufacturers, so this sounds like a good way to learn about their discs.
I thought it would be cool to have a brand show up at a DG course and loan/rent a disc or set Of discs to players to use on a course.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:41 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 102
Niced 1,024 Times in 471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
I thought it would be cool to have a brand show up at a DG course and loan/rent a disc or set Of discs to players to use on a course.
That would be cool. Bicycle manufacturers do that all the time with demo days.

Discmania is 45 minutes up the road from me now, and their box van was parked at my local course one day. I thought they might be doing demos but it was just a few guys playing.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:50 AM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
The problem is you want to practice with your own discs. If discs were all the same like golf balls, then this could work. But they are not. Even the same mold has inconsistencies from disc to disc.

I could see a range to try a disc out before buying, but buckets of disc are unlikely to ever work so a profit could be made.

Perhaps you could throw into a huge hole with holographic targets with a disc return mechanism built in.
Those are the answers that I did not know. I guess it is very different from disc to disc.
Thank you for the help.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:58 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 377 Times in 174 Posts

I'd happily pay a few theoretical bucks to theoretically try a bunch of discs, but I imagine these discs would become so beat that they wouldn't really be a representation of what you can go out and buy anyway. You know that people are going to be throwing forehand rollers across the parking lot on their way to return the discs and whatnot.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,661 Times in 921 Posts

In our neck of the woods we have a ball/disc golf shared course and they have a disc golf driving range as well. Might be worth while to research costs, etc.

https://texasgolfcenter.com/disc-golf/

Old 10-22-2020, 02:22 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 178 Times in 105 Posts

This kinda depends. If I could pay $5 to throw every disc on the market, saving me $16 for each disc I don’t like... I’d go. Throw five Cloudbreakers to Find out if one is worth buying? I’d go. Mobile cart to throw discs at? I’d go. Throw only my discs? No chance. I’m patiently waiting for the beans to be harvested so I can have 40 acres to throw at my house.

Realistically, this is a fail business model.