Old 10-29-2020, 04:00 PM

Niced 13 Times in 6 Posts

Anyone familiar with TopGolf? Because something like that is truly the answer. I've got an idea for the automated disc return, and you can either rent discs, or use your own. Tracking of discs/scoring would be done with RFID stickers placed onto the disc, rentals or your own.

If anyone wants to discuss this more deeply with me, let me know
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2020, 05:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 280 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahildy13 View Post
Anyone familiar with TopGolf? Because something like that is truly the answer. I've got an idea for the automated disc return, and you can either rent discs, or use your own. Tracking of discs/scoring would be done with RFID stickers placed onto the disc, rentals or your own.

How much damage would the disc return cause to the discs? What happens if the RFID sticker comes off and you don't get your disc back?

I think the liability for the TopGolf-style disc course range would be prohibitive.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
How much damage would the disc return cause to the discs? What happens if the RFID sticker comes off and you don't get your disc back?

I think the liability for the TopGolf-style disc course range would be prohibitive.
Ideally, none, or at least no more than a box of discs in the back of your car would be subjected too. These things aren't going to be shot back to you, it will be more akin to the luggage sorting system at an airport.

RFID stickers falling off is a risk, but I believe it would be mitigated by having the stickers be included with your entry fee. If a new sticker is applied right when you start your "range time" I see adhesion for a few hours not being a problem. In the case of lost stickers there would be a lost and found, your disc would probably end up in there by the time you noticed it hadn't come back to your stall.

And just like TopGolf, the profit isn't in the disc golf, it's in the food and drink available.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-29-2020, 06:17 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 205
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 269 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:

This has been discussed in another Forum before, but I don't think that factored in using your own discs. That would make it a lot more appealing, especially with food and drink!

Disc return - luggage sorting is an option or I initially thought of the ball return at a bowling alley. Maybe the range area is slanted, so all discs slide to a central spot, then drop onto a conveyor that brings them back. Then, I guess, a FEDEX type sorter would get them back to your throwing spot, that could be expensive to engineer.

I can see the RFID stickers lasting for an entire throwing session, and if lost, then a central Lost & Found area makes sense.

So this would be a way to practice with your discs, or try new ones out, and see their entire flight path.

Hope it works, it would be fun. Just remember, most of us are notoriously tight with money.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:53 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 280 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Ideally, none, or at least no more than a box of discs in the back of your car would be subjected too. These things aren't going to be shot back to you, it will be more akin to the luggage sorting system at an airport.

RFID stickers falling off is a risk, but I believe it would be mitigated by having the stickers be included with your entry fee. If a new sticker is applied right when you start your "range time" I see adhesion for a few hours not being a problem. In the case of lost stickers there would be a lost and found, your disc would probably end up in there by the time you noticed it hadn't come back to your stall.

And just like TopGolf, the profit isn't in the disc golf, it's in the food and drink available.
Great response. One other issue (besides cost) that would need resolved. With TopGolf, there are limited openings in the field and your golf ball has to enter one of them. The field is sloped to feed balls into the openings if they are missed, but some balls still end up on the field. How would you handle this with discs? Especially if people are using their own? I would imagine the entire field would have to have openings in it...what about discs caught by the cross bars for the openings?
Old 10-29-2020, 06:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,549 Times in 1,579 Posts

Quote:

I just see this as an idea, like pro disc golf going mainstream. There are just not that many disc golfers and even fewer engaged enough to have interest in this type venture. Of those few, we can hardly sell the idea of paying to play a round.

Would I go....hell yeah. All my 50 and 60 year old disc golf buddies would be likely to meet and do something like this once a year. I think that is your demographic.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
Great response. One other issue (besides cost) that would need resolved. With TopGolf, there are limited openings in the field and your golf ball has to enter one of them. The field is sloped to feed balls into the openings if they are missed, but some balls still end up on the field. How would you handle this with discs? Especially if people are using their own? I would imagine the entire field would have to have openings in it...what about discs caught by the cross bars for the openings?
My first thought is to make it almost identical, so a modified "basket" in the center with chains and a central column to drop down. This would be an "ace," worth the most points. C1 (maybe c2) would be a "hole" with either one large cone, or concentric cones for different scores based on how close you are. These would drop down to the disc sorting below.
For discs that do not land in one of the "target" areas, there would need to be a machine similar to the standard ball golf tractor retriever. For balls they have the roller that picks them up and places them in a basket. For discs, my idea would be more like a snow plow, which could push discs towards a different hole for non-scored disc return. That, or there could be a "scraper" that pulled itself across the whole range every 10 minutes or so.

And yes, I know this would be immensely expensive to build, and I am not the person with the capital to do it. I just wanted to throw out an idea I've been thinking about since that Showmez where the guy had a disc return system on his putting basket (sorry I can't find the clip)
Old 10-30-2020, 12:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 325
Niced 74 Times in 28 Posts

So DiscNation at least at one time had a testing range behind their store. It has been so long I can't remember the details. I tried out a stack of discs, bought a couple and they wiped down the others and put them back on the racks I guess. I must have picked up what I threw. And if you have fluffy grass or even turf, you may be able to slow the beating in process.

Ball golfers can use fields too, and many do, but many prefer the luxury of driving ranges. So following the ball golf driving range model where you can maximize your practice without having to pick up your own throws, I could see having hundreds of just a few popular molds like Teebirds, Wraiths, Valkyries, etc. Just guessing that mids and putters on a range won't be as popular, so I would stick to drivers. Would I pay $10 to throw 50 in an hour?- not sure. $5 for 25?

Or maybe have mids, like Buzzzes or whatever, for a slightly lower cost.

Seems like it would work best in conjunction with a course as an additional feature, like at a place with a proshop. I might use it as a warm-up before my round. Or possibly include it as part of a pay-to-play package.

Lessons might be the real key, though. I would strongly consider to pay for lessons from somebody that knew what they were talking about and could teach me and help improve my form. Though lessons would likely cost much more. But I know driving ranges often offer that as an option.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 325
Niced 74 Times in 28 Posts

Disc Retrieval

Option 1
Ball golf ranges have the guy driving the armored cart that vacuums up the balls, which we all know is the best target....
DG- hire a person in an armored suit whose job it is to pick up discs all day. too dangerous? then
modify a golf cart or gator with armor, cut a hole in the bottom and have a way to drive over the discs and pick them up, might be a 2 person job. downside is it won't be too kind to a disc if hit on the fly

Option 2
Assuming you have a nice field of fluffy grass or turf (or field turf, I can dream big), to help protect discs...
Some kind of wide surface wiping system that would push the discs aside on to a conveyor. Like bowling- pins/balls are wiped away into a hole, then reused. But a really large squeezee connected to wheels and a motor that just runs back and forth all day, or 1 that pivots in place like windshield wipers. (I have thought way too much about this)

Slopes work great for baseballs and golf balls, but just not going to work for discs.

All that to say, fun idea to discuss and dream about, but just not sure there is a good way to do it.

Old 10-30-2020, 05:03 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 222 Times in 123 Posts

I wouldn't be as interested in throwing my discs, I would want to throw rented discs.
Simply throwing far wouldn't be as useful to me. As mentioned before locations for that are not too difficult to find out on sports fields. I'd rather there be a selection of bays each with a certain shot to shape marked out by nets (I guess each bay could be adjusted using motorised pulleys on the nets), helping me easily see the gaps I can hit or the height and turn I can get on the disc. Pair that with instant video replay of my form from three or four angles (or bays for that). Hopefully having a few pros or distance throwers recorded so I could compare my throw in the same location with the same angles. Every 15-20 minutes or whatever works a light flashes in each bay in turn as a worker walks down and retrieves discs using a plunger.
I guess for me I want an upshot range not a driving range.