Old 10-29-2020, 11:56 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,198 Times in 991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Basketball rules are distinctly suggestions and generally apply mist extensively to non-superstars.

Im not anti Lebron, but he can hold the ball and walk around the lane, switch pivot foot and still no call.
Yep and I am a Lakers fan, not a Lebron fan. Also same with the guy on the Houston Rockets with the beard, he could play basically Football/Rugby while not dribbling he would get a free throw for running into players. Yet they gave Shaq a foul when he has a player run into him in NBA Finals in 2000's.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-30-2020, 12:01 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,198 Times in 991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
You forgot to mention that C1 may no longer be needed. (The horror!)

I wonder if it would actually alter the long fairway throws. I know my plant foot stays on the lie. I guess I'll be watching a lot of film this weekend.
Yep C1 and even the stats for Pros on Pro/National Tours might not happen, besides inside 33 feet and 90% of putts will be made at each tournament by the pro players on lead card in final round or made lead card in final round. Even second card is like this, past this some players are having an off day or not quite as talented.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:18 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 183 Times in 111 Posts

You could also just expand the area of the lie and require two points of contact behind the line after release, with one of them being in the lie area. You can pass your lie once that condition is met. I imagine a lie area of at least 2 feet by 2 feet, but could see going as far as 3' by 3'. This would allow anyone to throw any shot they want and avoid potential injury risk by avoiding poor turf surfaces in the old smaller lie area. It would also help a guy like me with poor static balance which has made me resort to straddle putting to avoid inadvertently crossing the line.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 420 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Yep and I am a Lakers fan, not a Lebron fan. Also same with the guy on the Houston Rockets with the beard, he could play basically Football/Rugby while not dribbling he would get a free throw for running into players. Yet they gave Shaq a foul when he has a player run into him in NBA Finals in 2000's.
They rewrote the rule book because of Shaq.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:18 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 357 Times in 186 Posts

not sure how many examples have been posted so far in this thread, but here's a good recent one:

Old 10-30-2020, 11:40 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 531 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
not sure how many examples have been posted so far in this thread, but here's a good recent one:
This is a great example of what people see as the problem, since it's both a step-putt and a jump-putt, as well as a foul. And, at least in this freeze frame, it appears to be clear what happened -- both feet were off the ground before the disc fully left his hand.

But how clear of a foul is this in real-time?

I'm curious if anyone is able to determine the amount of time that elapsed between his right foot leaving the ground and the disc leaving the hand.

A bit of googling shows that human perception takes about 0.08 seconds to notice a difference.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:55 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 531 Times in 191 Posts

What if these were the rules:

Outside C1, there is a mandatory point of contact behind the marker prior to beginning the throw/shot. Once the motion of the shot begins, there are no longer any mandatory contact points (meaning the player may jump, then throw, if they want), and the player may not re-establish a new contact point prior to throwing the disc. No part of the player's body may touch inside C1.

Can anyone come up with a scenario in which this rule can be unfairly abused?
Old 10-30-2020, 12:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 280 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorseymatt View Post
This is a great example of what people see as the problem, since it's both a step-putt and a jump-putt, as well as a foul. And, at least in this freeze frame, it appears to be clear what happened -- both feet were off the ground before the disc fully left his hand.

But how clear of a foul is this in real-time?

I'm curious if anyone is able to determine the amount of time that elapsed between his right foot leaving the ground and the disc leaving the hand.

A bit of googling shows that human perception takes about 0.08 seconds to notice a difference.
Definitely a jump putt and a foul. You are right that is was probably near impossible to spot real time - which is where the issue and 'complaint' comes in and why people want to 'ban' the jump putt.

It's a jump putt because both feet are off the ground at the same time and move forward of the mark at the same time.

A step putt is where one foot is off the ground at a time, but both feet move forward of the mark (just one after the other).
Old 10-30-2020, 12:17 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 98
Niced 144 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorseymatt View Post
What if these were the rules:

...Once the motion of the shot begins, there are no longer any mandatory contact points (meaning the player may jump, then throw, if they want), and the player may not re-establish a new contact point prior to throwing the disc...

Can anyone come up with a scenario in which this rule can be unfairly abused?
This is essentially a step putt, minus the bit about keeping a point of contact with the lie. The problems many people have with whether or not the foot hits the ground prior to or after releasing the disc remains.

That part is difficult to enforce.

I'm not saying this isn't a better option than the current ruling, only pointing out that if step putts are the problem because they are not enforceable, this doesn't alter it.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 414 Times in 238 Posts

All throws should just be stand still throws then. Since yea, it's impossible to enforce.