Old 10-06-2020, 05:10 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yours and Mine look very similar

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2020, 02:14 PM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Wow, I thought I was going to necro-post on this thread, but there's recent activity. I built the OP version rake that started this thread. It does grab discs that I can see under the water in 1 or 2 tries. I've also pulled some randoms I couldn't see.

But my problem is, the pond here is very silty at the bottom and if walking in it you sink to your waist. The lake grows lots of algae which eventually settles thus covering the discs. I have a feeling this rage (even with holes drilled) isn't dragging deep enough and is missing some of the older discs. I can probably just ass some thing heave to it, like some rebar across where the tines are. But I wanted to post here to see if anyone else encountered anything similar or if there's any better ideas than what I was thinking about trying.

Another reason I don't think it's going deep enough is because when I pull in the rope at 1ft/sec and stop pulling, it almost feels like it is coasting along the bottom on its own.

Ideas?

OH, and yah the OP design is huge. It doesn't fit in a normal 4-door sedan. So I just stashed it in the bushes at my local course.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-08-2020, 07:05 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 199 Times in 99 Posts

I made my 2nd lake rake much smaller so it is easier to throw and transport.

For the bolts I went with carriage bolts with the bolt head pointing outwards. I always felt like this scrapes the bottom better, and has the added benefit of holding discs a little better too!
Old 10-09-2020, 12:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,349 Times in 895 Posts

I used some Emt electrical conduit and a bunch of all thread rod to make mine. Sinks well, doesn't work worth a ****. But if one were to replace say just the tooth bar with metal pipe it would help it sink, but it makes it tough to handle.

You could also tape a steel pipe to it on top of the bar. If you use say electrical tape: pull the tape a bit to stretch it as you wrap it, sticky side down like normal. On your second wrap, flip the tape sticky side up, remember to pull it a bit so it's tight. Last wrap flip the tape sticky side down again, now your tape is adhering sticky to sticky side and won't unravel in the water.

You could also drill a hole or two in there and fill with a concrete. Or tie 6 McGriddles to it, they're almost as heavy as lead... but then Greenpeace will be up your ass for the oil slick!

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 10-09-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 286 Times in 172 Posts

I like this disc grabber....I've made it and it has worked for me. It does catch on rocks, tree limbs, debris....mainly due to the angle of the 'hooks'. If I could weld, I think an unbent coat hanger welded on the ends of the hooks might improve it. I like the size and keep it in a small box in my truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8QuXAMCyD8
Old 10-10-2020, 09:26 AM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

[QUOTE=ThrowaEnvy;3641971
You could also tape a steel pipe to it on top of the bar. If you use say electrical tape: pull the tape a bit to stretch it as you wrap it, sticky side down like normal. On your second wrap, flip the tape sticky side up, remember to pull it a bit so it's tight. Last wrap flip the tape sticky side down again, now your tape is adhering sticky to sticky side and won't unravel in the water.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that tape tip.

Also, I didn't think mine was working that great, but of some of the inked discs I pulled and texted number, the owners were saying they lost that disc there 'years ago'. I think in my pond here I need to go over an area many times and get deeper and deeper as I get through the sunken algae.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:33 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 199 Times in 99 Posts

If you are using tape, use the "rescue tape" It's that self fusing silicone tape that isn't sticky. Works really well in some applications, and this is one. I had a crack developing in one of my rakes and used it, got a bunch of more life out of it!