Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Other Gear

Old 10-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Calamine lotion on skin, not sure about clothes and other stuff.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2013, 06:35 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 250
Niced 543 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaktit View Post

Anybody ever hear of drinking goats milk from a goat that eats PO? To try to build up a resistance? I'm not trying it. :nono:
Yeah, I guess that'd require a strongtit.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I got poison ivy so much as a kid from playing in the woods everyday. I eventually became immune to it. My 9 year old son is also immune to it, I know because all he wears is sandals discing.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:54 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I grew up as a wrestler, and was also a collegiate wrestler. We use a product call Ken Shield (made by Cliff Keen) that is used for wrestlers to keep individuals from getting nasty funk from the mats such as ringworm and impetigo.... but this cream also serves as a magic poison ivy barrier as well.

A canister of Ken Shield foam runs around $15, but it'll last a long time. It really is a great way to keep yourself from getting Poison Ivy/Oak, etc...

Niced: (1)
Old 10-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 42
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantlyej View Post
for wrestlers to keep individuals from getting nasty funk from the mats such as ringworm and impetigo....
OT, I know, but

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Old 08-16-2020, 12:37 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Here's an interesting video on removing poison ivy/oak/sumac oils from the skin, as presented by a guy with a PhD in a related field.

If you don't want to watch the whole thing, basically he says there's very little difference between the soap being used to clean the oils off: Dawn dishsoap works about as well as the expensive Tecnu. He does not test Zanfel, but I'd assume it'd fall into the same general efficiency realm as Tecnu, just from personal experience.

The key to successful oil removal is using a washcloth to create friction and wipe clean the oils after using soap and water (always use cold water).

Very simple, and lines up with my experiences as well...typically if I do a field scrubdown using Zanfel (without soap or a washcloth) and water, I usually still end up with a bit of a reaction (much much reduced from what I'd get if I did nothing).

But every time I've been able to get a shower and do a real good scrubdown with a wash cloth, I've been fine with no reaction.

Which backs up, albeit with anecdotal evidence, what the video purports.

Just thought I'd share it.

Last edited by Jukeshoe; 08-16-2020 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Not sure this is the best/most recent/most active urushiol oil thread...search seemed to have probs finding the threads...
Old 08-16-2020, 01:54 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 333
Niced 4,813 Times in 2,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
Here's an interesting video on removing poison ivy/oak/sumac oils from the skin, as presented by a guy with a PhD in a related field.

If you don't want to watch the whole thing, basically he says there's very little difference between the soap being used to clean the oils off: Dawn dishsoap works about as well as the expensive Tecnu. He does not test Zanfel, but I'd assume it'd fall into the same general efficiency realm as Tecnu, just from personal experience.

The key to successful oil removal is using a washcloth to create friction and wipe clean the oils after using soap and water (always use cold water).

Very simple, and lines up with my experiences as well...typically if I do a field scrubdown using Zanfel (without soap or a washcloth) and water, I usually still end up with a bit of a reaction (much much reduced from what I'd get if I did nothing).

But every time I've been able to get a shower and do a real good scrubdown with a wash cloth, I've been fine with no reaction.

Excellent video. Someone posted it on DGCR a couple of years ago, but it's well worth posting again.

A good scrubbing with a washcloth using Dawn or Ajax dish soap works well. Try do do it ASAP after exposure so the urushiol first fully bind to your skin.

Once that happens, you're buggered.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-16-2020, 02:01 PM
* Ace No More *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post

Excellent video. Someone posted it on DGCR a couple of years ago, but it's well worth posting again.

A good scrubbing with a washcloth using Dawn or Ajax dish soap works well. Try do do it ASAP after exposure so the urushiol first fully bind to your skin.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:37 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post

Sorry for the repeat. Didn't see it first go around.

Was having probs with search finding the relevant thread at all, let alone being able to peruse them to see which might be best to post (or to see if it had been posted already).

Old 08-16-2020, 02:43 PM
* Ace No More *

It's all good. Poison ivy's mentioned in a bunch of different threads. I probably couldn't find that clip here if I wanted to.

Your post puts it in front of a bunch of eyes who may not have seen it before.