Old 01-31-2020, 12:55 PM
Banned but not forgotten

Niced 607 Times in 323 Posts

I love how we are having a discussion about "classic" discs, and specifically the "first" disc to be a low profile driving putter, and why that is a "classic" disc, and nobody has said the obvious...

CLASSIC ROC
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2020, 12:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,407 Times in 540 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
I love how we are having a discussion about "classic" discs, and specifically the "first" disc to be a low profile driving putter, and why that is a "classic" disc, and nobody has said the obvious...

XD!!
Fixed.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:09 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 11
Niced 25 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
The pantheon of all time classics today would be filled with discs that not just filled a niche, but practically established a slot in a ton of players' bags, and that are still popular today despite the spawning of knock offs and also-rans from competitors and even from the original manufacturer.

Innova has lots of these - still plenty of Aviars, Rocs, Teebirds, Thunderbirds, Firebirds and Destroyers on the course. Seems like most of what comes to my mind anyway are stable molds, but I would say the Tern is up there too as the go-to cheater distance disc for weekend warriors.

The Zone and Buzzz are obvious, probably (definitely) Comet too.

Proxy and Envy are both truly special and classic.

Can't think of another disc from Trilogy that I would call a classic. Not that they don't make great or sometimes even superior discs, they just aren't "classics."
sinus is lat 64 second putter ever made and alot of non-sponsored pros has atleast 3 of em in different wears. sneaky long good hss and lss dissapears first.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,256 Times in 679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
I think Trilogy has a couple, the Harp, Pure and Stiletto were all unique enough to make that distinction IMO.
The Harp, unique? That came out 4 years after the Ringer. And the Ringer itself was trying to be a Rhyno replacement for MJ, but without the patented Thumtrac. Just that subtle dip just past the rim.

I remember a buddy showing me a first run Harp, all excited, in the beer garden of the now extinct Verdugo DGC. I knocked it off the table, and slapped a Breaker(DGA's Ringer)down. It was justified. Just like if someone knocked my Breaker to the ground and slapped a pearly zippertop CE Rhyno down. I'd have to be like, "yeah...that's fair."
Old 01-31-2020, 01:51 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,196 Times in 776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
The Harp, unique? That came out 4 years after the Ringer. And the Ringer itself was trying to be a Rhyno replacement for MJ, but without the patented Thumtrac. Just that subtle dip just past the rim.

I remember a buddy showing me a first run Harp, all excited, in the beer garden of the now extinct Verdugo DGC. I knocked it off the table, and slapped a Breaker(DGA's Ringer)down. It was justified. Just like if someone knocked my Breaker to the ground and slapped a pearly zippertop CE Rhyno down. I'd have to be like, "yeah...that's fair."
I think all of those discs can be used a bit similarly, but the Harp ranges into midrange distance without losing stability at as high of a rate of them.

Your not wrong, I just think that the shape and performance combination in the Harp is better.

I used zippertop pearly Rhynos before Harps came out, so Im not totally clueless.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-31-2020, 02:03 PM
Banned but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Fixed.
I thought we were talking about stable driving putters? At any rate, yeah XD was def first.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:04 PM
Banned but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
without the patented Thumtrac.
Wait, the thumtrac as a design feature was patented??

Old 01-31-2020, 02:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,256 Times in 679 Posts

Quote:
Wait, the thumtrac as a design feature was patented??
Expired 2014 I think? Seemed like it anyway since the following year or two manufactures all came out with one. Discraft added the feature to the Ringer, making it the Ringer GT, Caltrop, Slammer, Gateway with the Warspear...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumtrac.JPG (14.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-31-2020, 03:19 PM
Banned but not forgotten

Damn, I didn't realize how patent-able minor disc features were. Wish I would have done IP in law school LOL

Old 01-31-2020, 03:31 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,063 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote:

CLASSIC ROC
I've brought that up before, maybe not in this thread but I called the Judge a Classic Roc ripoff before and got shouted down with "BUT THE CLASSIC ROC WAS A MID!!!" Yeah, and a Judge would have been as well. If it wasn't, you know...25 years too late?