#51  
Old 04-11-2019, 03:18 PM
Fly_High Fly_High is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 106
Niced 97 Times in 45 Posts
Default

I've only thrown 1 Z and 1 ESP(Ledgestone before regular ESP existed) and both of those were way more stable than the 1 Kong I've thrown.

Sounds like my experience is the outlier though.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-20-2019, 07:23 PM
GripEnemy's Avatar
GripEnemy GripEnemy is offline
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,047
Niced 775 Times in 439 Posts
Default

Both my Swirls are BEEFY. Like, not a Surge beefy.

If you're a "five Destroyer guy" then you'll love these to solidify the overstable bookend of the Surge world, otherwise avoid these. If you always thought the Surge wasn't overstable enough, try one of these. Clearly shorter, less/no turn, practically glideless, prominent fade compared to the stacks of Z and ESP I've thrown over the years. Damn...might be useless depending upon what else you decide to bag. I'll work one or both in this spring and check back once I notice some real change in flight.

One more look
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-21-2019, 12:52 AM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,357
Niced 793 Times in 617 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Both my Swirls are BEEFY. Like, not a Surge beefy.

If you're a "five Destroyer guy" then you'll love these to solidify the overstable bookend of the Surge world, otherwise avoid these. If you always thought the Surge wasn't overstable enough, try one of these. Clearly shorter, less/no turn, practically glideless, prominent fade compared to the stacks of Z and ESP I've thrown over the years. Damn...might be useless depending upon what else you decide to bag. I'll work one or both in this spring and check back once I notice some real change in flight.

One more look
This sounds like my Kong.

I've seen the occasional beefy Surge. I'm not a fan. When I throw a Surge I want some high speed turn and glide.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-14-2020, 01:53 PM
The Albatross's Avatar
The Albatross The Albatross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,486
Niced 401 Times in 205 Posts
Default

With the reSURGEnce of popularity for the Wraith, it seems that Discraft was a bit hasty in putting the Surge OOP. I always liked the Surge a bit more, seemed straighter, and the swirly ESP would absolutely kill in this mold. Just looked this up thinking about buying a few for spring, oh well. *sad plastic noises*
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-14-2020, 05:15 PM
Stable's Avatar
Stable Stable is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NC
Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 32
Posts: 2,996
Niced 690 Times in 417 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albatross View Post
With the reSURGEnce of popularity for the Wraith, it seems that Discraft was a bit hasty in putting the Surge OOP. I always liked the Surge a bit more, seemed straighter, and the swirly ESP would absolutely kill in this mold. Just looked this up thinking about buying a few for spring, oh well. *sad plastic noises*
The Wraith has always been a big seller for Innova. Do you mean regaining popularity with touring pros?

Its crazy that DC isn't backing the Surge more. I don't think it's oop. They just only make it in Z.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-14-2020, 05:51 PM
Sydex Sydex is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Anywhere, TX
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 375
Niced 114 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Those Ledgestone runs weren’t that great, nor did they glow at all.

I’d like to see the Surge back too, but I’d rather have them make the Avenger again, it was the better disc at nearly the same speed.

Though, in the end with the McBeth and Pierce line selling well, I’d think discraft doesn’t worry now about reviving an old mold.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-14-2020, 06:03 PM
R-Ogre's Avatar
R-Ogre R-Ogre is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 498
Niced 638 Times in 241 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
Those Ledgestone runs werent that great, nor did they glow at all.

Id like to see the Surge back too, but Id rather have them make the Avenger again, it was the better disc at nearly the same speed.

Though, in the end with the McBeth and Pierce line selling well, Id think discraft doesnt worry now about reviving an old mold.
Whats with Discraft and glow discs that dont glow? Like I get that some people think the plastic feels different and like it, but honestly why bother?

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-14-2020, 06:16 PM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,357
Niced 793 Times in 617 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albatross View Post
With the reSURGEnce of popularity for the Wraith, it seems that Discraft was a bit hasty in putting the Surge OOP. I always liked the Surge a bit more, seemed straighter, and the swirly ESP would absolutely kill in this mold. Just looked this up thinking about buying a few for spring, oh well. *sad plastic noises*
Me too. I find that the Surge is a bit mellower than a Wraith. It holds high speed turn longer and doesn't seem to have such a dumpy fade. I've bagged ESP Surges since they came out.

Surge: 11, 5, -1, 2
Wraith: 11, 5, -.5, 3

Might not seem like much difference, but you notice it when you're looking to flex out a drive and have it hold for a while. I get probably 30' more distance with Surges vs Wraiths because they just stay in the air longer and don't fade as hard.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-14-2020, 06:23 PM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 1,575
Niced 562 Times in 363 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
Those Ledgestone runs werent that great, nor did they glow at all.

Id like to see the Surge back too, but Id rather have them make the Avenger again, it was the better disc at nearly the same speed.

Though, in the end with the McBeth and Pierce line selling well, Id think discraft doesnt worry now about reviving an old mold.
I liked the Avenger. Although I'm sure the Vulture and Anax do a fine impression. And as of late I'm really digging the Boatman in the same category of hybrid stable faster Teebird type discs.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #60  
Old 02-14-2020, 07:30 PM
The Albatross's Avatar
The Albatross The Albatross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,486
Niced 401 Times in 205 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
The Wraith has always been a big seller for Innova. Do you mean regaining popularity with touring pros?

Its crazy that DC isn't backing the Surge more. I don't think it's oop. They just only make it in Z.
Ive seen more Wraiths on the course lately, more Discraft too, but I think the McBeth effect has scattered some of the Destroyer throwers. Obviously sponsored pros wouldnt ditch the Destroyer for a Surge.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discraft Surge Question 97hokie Discs 16 07-28-2011 02:40 PM
discraft elite z surge? discgolf757 Discs 4 09-08-2009 06:18 PM
Discraft Surge Help mickas Discs 8 08-03-2009 11:53 AM
Discraft Surge question Nick C Discs 21 07-28-2009 06:04 PM
Discraft Surge Neophyte The Marketplace 12 07-28-2009 03:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.