Old 04-11-2019, 03:18 PM
Par Member

Niced 97 Times in 45 Posts

I've only thrown 1 Z and 1 ESP(Ledgestone before regular ESP existed) and both of those were way more stable than the 1 Kong I've thrown.

Sounds like my experience is the outlier though.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2019, 07:23 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 775 Times in 439 Posts

Both my Swirls are BEEFY. Like, not a Surge beefy.

If you're a "five Destroyer guy" then you'll love these to solidify the overstable bookend of the Surge world, otherwise avoid these. If you always thought the Surge wasn't overstable enough, try one of these. Clearly shorter, less/no turn, practically glideless, prominent fade compared to the stacks of Z and ESP I've thrown over the years. Damn...might be useless depending upon what else you decide to bag. I'll work one or both in this spring and check back once I notice some real change in flight.

One more look
Old 04-21-2019, 12:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 793 Times in 617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Both my Swirls are BEEFY. Like, not a Surge beefy.

If you're a "five Destroyer guy" then you'll love these to solidify the overstable bookend of the Surge world, otherwise avoid these. If you always thought the Surge wasn't overstable enough, try one of these. Clearly shorter, less/no turn, practically glideless, prominent fade compared to the stacks of Z and ESP I've thrown over the years. Damn...might be useless depending upon what else you decide to bag. I'll work one or both in this spring and check back once I notice some real change in flight.

One more look
This sounds like my Kong.

I've seen the occasional beefy Surge. I'm not a fan. When I throw a Surge I want some high speed turn and glide.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 35
Niced 401 Times in 205 Posts

With the reSURGEnce of popularity for the Wraith, it seems that Discraft was a bit hasty in putting the Surge OOP. I always liked the Surge a bit more, seemed straighter, and the swirly ESP would absolutely kill in this mold. Just looked this up thinking about buying a few for spring, oh well. *sad plastic noises*
Old 02-14-2020, 05:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 32
Niced 690 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albatross View Post
With the reSURGEnce of popularity for the Wraith, it seems that Discraft was a bit hasty in putting the Surge OOP. I always liked the Surge a bit more, seemed straighter, and the swirly ESP would absolutely kill in this mold. Just looked this up thinking about buying a few for spring, oh well. *sad plastic noises*
The Wraith has always been a big seller for Innova. Do you mean regaining popularity with touring pros?

Its crazy that DC isn't backing the Surge more. I don't think it's oop. They just only make it in Z.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:51 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 114 Times in 87 Posts

Those Ledgestone runs weren’t that great, nor did they glow at all.

I’d like to see the Surge back too, but I’d rather have them make the Avenger again, it was the better disc at nearly the same speed.

Though, in the end with the McBeth and Pierce line selling well, I’d think discraft doesn’t worry now about reviving an old mold.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:03 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 638 Times in 241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
Those Ledgestone runs werent that great, nor did they glow at all.

Id like to see the Surge back too, but Id rather have them make the Avenger again, it was the better disc at nearly the same speed.

Though, in the end with the McBeth and Pierce line selling well, Id think discraft doesnt worry now about reviving an old mold.
Whats with Discraft and glow discs that dont glow? Like I get that some people think the plastic feels different and like it, but honestly why bother?

Niced: (1)
Old 02-14-2020, 06:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 793 Times in 617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albatross View Post
Me too. I find that the Surge is a bit mellower than a Wraith. It holds high speed turn longer and doesn't seem to have such a dumpy fade. I've bagged ESP Surges since they came out.

Surge: 11, 5, -1, 2
Wraith: 11, 5, -.5, 3

Might not seem like much difference, but you notice it when you're looking to flex out a drive and have it hold for a while. I get probably 30' more distance with Surges vs Wraiths because they just stay in the air longer and don't fade as hard.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 562 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydex View Post
Those Ledgestone runs werent that great, nor did they glow at all.

Id like to see the Surge back too, but Id rather have them make the Avenger again, it was the better disc at nearly the same speed.

Though, in the end with the McBeth and Pierce line selling well, Id think discraft doesnt worry now about reviving an old mold.
I liked the Avenger. Although I'm sure the Vulture and Anax do a fine impression. And as of late I'm really digging the Boatman in the same category of hybrid stable faster Teebird type discs.

Niced: (1)

Old 02-14-2020, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 35
Niced 401 Times in 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
The Wraith has always been a big seller for Innova. Do you mean regaining popularity with touring pros?

Its crazy that DC isn't backing the Surge more. I don't think it's oop. They just only make it in Z.
Ive seen more Wraiths on the course lately, more Discraft too, but I think the McBeth effect has scattered some of the Destroyer throwers. Obviously sponsored pros wouldnt ditch the Destroyer for a Surge.