Old 06-21-2019, 12:28 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 14 Times in 9 Posts

If its too much work for you to return a disc without a phone number then maybe you could just leave it alone rather than steal it. Or at the very least get it to the lost and found, if its not too much of a burden on you and your precious time.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-21-2019, 05:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 540 Times in 292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosman253 View Post
If its too much work for you to return a disc without a phone number then maybe you could just leave it alone rather than steal it. Or at the very least get it to the lost and found, if its not too much of a burden on you and your precious time.
Not all courses have a lost and found. Not sure Ive ever even seen one before. My new policy is if there is no phone number or email or some kind of direct contact info, I'm leaving it by the 1st teepad. Or, hypothetically if available, the lost and found.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 802 Times in 558 Posts

I like the first teepad idea... good thinking!
Old 06-22-2019, 10:59 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 333 Times in 202 Posts

I have done this before, but I confess always with high speed stuff I can't throw anyway....
Old 06-22-2019, 12:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 802 Times in 558 Posts

Yeah I don't need to pack around someone's disc that I will probably never see, Facebook has been handy for finding the owners.. One guy posted on our club page he was missing two well loved black wizards after the tourney, I got tagged and had it figured within a day or two... right on man, really happy to help thanks for making an effort.

Someone else lost a soft Envy here, which I'm coveting... I've posted on our club page, left it out at my place with the other stuff that was left and now it's sitting in my lost and found box waiting for next year... calling me.. Throw me, throw me. Black btw with incomplete sharpie I even tried black light to see if I could see more. 1-1988 what kind of number is that? If it is a PDGA it's a guy in Florida that's inactive.. I think it was this kid or his dad's maybe, ironically or karmically enough if it is the kid, he wanted one of my used discs I was selling, a Beast, was out of money so I ended up just giving him to encourage the young dudes career. Might have been an unintended trade haha. I meet so many people I can't even remember where they're from. I find that frustrating, I've had some here for over 4 years..

I guess there's some privacy issues with phone numbers but geez I hate getting stuck with discs I can't get back to people and I dislike it when they want me to mail it at my cost... if it's got a number I text it and tell them it's at the course. There's two lost and found on our public course. The one where we wall hang it and it likely gets poached by someone else and the stash above the map hut... locals use the stash spot....

I guess my point is: help me to help you.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:54 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 39 Times in 24 Posts

I found a disc on the roof of the Community Center on our local course. The older folks eat lunch there during the week - the rest of the time, the building seems to be empty. So one day I reached up there with an extension pole and pulled it down. It was a Champion Wraith I believe - something fast, anyway. The name and phone number were written on the inside rim, so I called him.

A voice answered, and I asked if it was the name written on the disc. He didn't confirm or deny - just says "Who wants to know?" Decided not to be offended and said I found his disc... he immediately became friendly and started thanking me. We made arrangements for him to come get it from behind a bush on the course.

I thought it was odd that someone that came across so paranoid would put his name and number on a disc! But then, a week later, I got a text from an unfamiliar number. It said, "Is this Kyle?" I figured if it was a spammer, they wouldn't know my first name, so I replied "Yes it is...". I thought of all of the nefarious things that could happen to me if I gave out too much personal information, so I was plotting my revenge when he wrote back again and said "I found your disc!" So I was getting as paranoid as the guy with the disc that I called about, even though I knew that would happen. Still, when that text came in, I wasn't expecting it, so I feared the worst.

Overall, I figure that the identity thieves are not frequenting the DG courses all that much, so I'm taking the chance with mine and writing my name, phone, and PDGA #s just in case.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:08 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 458 Times in 172 Posts

Anyone ever gotten a call and promise to return, and never have it show up?

I mean, I get that taking it to the post office and sending it to another state is a pain, but if you can’t do that just say so. Not like I was anxiously checking the mail for a month before I gave up on getting it back...
Old 07-24-2019, 09:53 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 159
Niced 460 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Anyone ever gotten a call and promise to return, and never have it show up?

I mean, I get that taking it to the post office and sending it to another state is a pain, but if you can’t do that just say so. Not like I was anxiously checking the mail for a month before I gave up on getting it back...
I did have a guy call me about a lost disc a couple years ago. He said "I'm not going to return it, I just want to know how it flies".
Old 07-24-2019, 10:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.9
Courses Played: 60
Niced 372 Times in 206 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
I did have a guy call me about a lost disc a couple years ago. He said "I'm not going to return it, I just want to know how it flies".
I am going to use that line as opening text the next time I find a disc of someone I know or am familiar with.
Thanks Tripper!

Niced: (2)

Old 07-24-2019, 11:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 159
Niced 460 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDSM View Post
I am going to use that line as opening text the next time I find a disc of someone I know or am familiar with.
Thanks Tripper!
Best part is it was a putter that had hit a tree on my upshot and got treejected into the lake at Buckhorn DGC. So the disc finder says "it must be a great disc if you almost made the water carry of the tee". So of course I said "I never had a problem with it making it over the water (because i've never tried)".

Now I am left to wonder if my disc is back in the lake again.