Old 02-19-2018, 12:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 155
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 356 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkgreen View Post
I've bought two pairs of Oboz, the Traverse Low models, and wore them in 2016 and 2017. They each lasted a full year of hiking and disc golfing. I'm going to order another pair this spring.

Wide and comfortable toe box and yet my foot doesn't slide around in them. The toe has a pretty beefy guard that does well with rolling and toe sliding if you have that in your disc golf throwing form. They dry out super fast and don't hold a lot of water if it is a wet round. I know some people like waterproof shoes, but I prefer a shoe that breathes well and this one certainly does. If you wear down the insoles you just have to email the Oboz company and they send you a new pair of insoles for free.

The only thing I will say against them is that parts of the lugs on the sides can start to chunk off a bit, but for the past two pairs that I've had, it doesn't really seem to affect the functionality of the shoe.

I've had 2 pairs of the Firebrand II Low and will continue to buy them unless I find something better. They are great for disc and also hold up well on workdays. I just picked up a pair of the Tamarack Low in the "Garage Sale" at REI for $60. They are pretty good but when they are worn out I will go back to the Firebrand II.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 02-22-2018, 03:00 PM
Par Member

Niced 87 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysmike View Post
There's a big difference between wool hiking socks, and wool running socks.

My wool socks are thinner, lighter, and cooler, than most of the cotton 'athletic' socks I have.

edit: but, when I say 'wool socks' most people think thick, heavy and scratchy. I get it.
Yes. I think every pair of socks I own is a wool blend of some sort? At least most of them are. I was a cyclist for half my life and almost all of my riding socks are a merino blend of some sort. My backpacking socks go from thick to not so thick and my riding socks are thin compared those. Depending on the wool and blend, prices can be all over the place. Wool socks of today are nothing like what they used to be with so many different textiles out there now. They just perform better....

Niced: (1)
Old 02-22-2018, 05:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 109 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
That makes sense. I get it.
I point out lightweight merino wool like darn tough because it's actually cooler in the summer. They're very light and they draw the moisture away from your skin. I've switched almost exclusively to wool now, and vary the thickness based on temp and activity.
Extra bonus points for lifetime guarantee and not having to wash them every time you wear them.
This guy knows what he's talking about. I'm always shocked by how many people only buy waterproof shoes. You pay extra to have a pair of shoes that will always end up stinky. merino running socks and breathable shoes ftw. I only wear waterproof shoes if it's under 40 degrees and wet/snow.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:59 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 178
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 42 Times in 21 Posts

I now swear by the Merrell All Out Blaze low-top hikers. Give these a look if you're more into a stable running shoe over the stiffer hiking boots.

I'm on my second pair and they seem to last a little shy of 2 years (3-4 rounds played a week). They're waterproof yet very breathable. The're also very grippy on loose surfaces despite a less aggressive tread. I've had Keens and Asolos before and these Merrells are more durable. They occasionally show up on closeout sites for $65-$80, otherwise here's the typical listing:

https://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Mens-...+all+out+blaze
Old 02-23-2018, 08:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 160
Niced 117 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.chainslove View Post
I now swear by the Merrell All Out Blaze low-top hikers. Give these a look if you're more into a stable running shoe over the stiffer hiking boots.

I'm on my second pair and they seem to last a little shy of 2 years (3-4 rounds played a week). They're waterproof yet very breathable. The're also very grippy on loose surfaces despite a less aggressive tread. I've had Keens and Asolos before and these Merrells are more durable. They occasionally show up on closeout sites for $65-$80, otherwise here's the typical listing:

https://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Mens-...+all+out+blaze
The outsole and upper look really good, are there mid-hi top equivalents?
Old 02-23-2018, 08:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 160
Niced 117 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
The outsole and upper look really good, are there mid-hi top equivalents?
Should have googled before posting. Looks like there are.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 32
Niced 304 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Can you put regular shoe strings in those Adidas? I'm not into that bunjie set up.
Got my Adidas Swift R's in the mail & I was wrong about the bungie laces. They are pretty cool. Seem like they could be a headache to replace if they break through.

Adidas are the best option for skinny feet.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 860 Times in 431 Posts

Quote:
Got my Adidas Swift R's in the mail & I was wrong about the bungie laces. They are pretty cool. Seem like they could be a headache to replace if they break through.

This is good to know. I've got size 12/13 narrow feet and Salomon and Nike are really all I've found to fit well. Have not tried Adidas, but might look next time I'm looking for shoes.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:48 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 52 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:

2nd this

Old 02-25-2018, 09:40 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 14
Niced 79 Times in 51 Posts

Oboz shoes and lightweight wool socks like smartwool is what i use.

i have several pair of the oboz shoes, some waterproof, some breathable in different stages of wear.

happy with them all.