Old 09-02-2017, 10:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,771 Times in 1,149 Posts

Area 51 DGC https://www.dgcoursereview.com/cours...d=9355&mode=ci

Course Description:
"Moderate length course with No elevation and tight fairways flanked by 3-7ft tall weeds,grasses and thorns."

Is it called Area 51 because the course conspires against you and it's a secret where your flying saucer is?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2017, 10:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 466 Times in 222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP Mountain Man View Post
I've experienced this very same thing, at a HS course (Three Lakes HS DGC).

I believe it's maintenance based ... they utilize already mown areas (walking path/trails), to avoid adding mowing costs. Hence the crazy deep neck high fun killing rough.

Can't imagine the students getting hooked playing holes like this!
Can imagine the students taking a 420 break while hidden in the weeds. Perfect cover.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 460 Times in 390 Posts

I have experianced another problem making the holes so that only a top or near top level pro could play the course well.

I Can't remember the course but the holes were no shorter then 400 feet well one hole was 380 feet and that was from the regular tee, they only had alternate tees, one hole was 800 feet from regular and just under 1000 from the alternate tee. Also the trees were in such a way that on most holes you were guarantied to hit a tree, no maintenance to stop the wild trees from forming into trees. Not that they were packed in but every line had a tree in its path, You had to hit a tree no matter the line you picked. A cousin who was a good top level Amateur he had this problem to and was paring or going one over every hole when he should have been playing each hole as a par or some of the low 400 foot ones just on under what the par was for the hole. We stopped playing after 12 holes as the next one was throw your disc goodby into a wall of brush that was just a bunch of skinny trees. Not that I want very easy courses don't get me wrong look up https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1704 (Power House Ally) my better home/local course. That is a tougher but playable course, one basket in the back 9-18 has a basket that is still after 10 years blocked by a dead tree branch 10 feet from the hole. The thing this course I played not my local course had for it was that the first hole the shortest hole the 380 foot one lured you in, could not see the rest of the course as did the 400 foot after that. The course was hard to play, even a lower ranked pro might struggle a bit to play that course.hole 3 or 4 was the 800 foot hole with one line to play, fine, then after that the course was just tree in every line you picked, you had to weave in and out of the course lines. The cousin that is good or was at the time, had to do thumbers and tomahawks to throw on most of the course and by the time he had gotten to the 12 hole his arm was getting tired. It did have another good hole but that was in the Approach to putt part only the driving was bad, every line was a tree in it somewhere and you had to know the distance of the trees to weave in and out.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:45 PM

My message from this comment above is have at least on way to play the hole that a lane or like without a big tree or bush like obstacle getting in the way of the course. The course had trees in such a way you were going to hit one from the tee pad, having to do a short midrange to long approach shot from the tee box on a 500 foot hole seems unnecessary, if you were lucky and did not hit the trees you could make par on all but the first 2 or 3 holes. Too many trees on a course to be able to play it well, hole 13 was a wall of skinny trees because nobody trimmed up the course, where we stopped. The course was not that old like only 10 years old since last updates but course trim up should not fall under same category as the basket work and tee box/tee sign fixing.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 09-04-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:55 PM

Another problem I have seen look up https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=222 West Lake DGC a course so easy even me the first and only time I played it, first time ever in disc golf I felt the course was too easy. The course seems even too easy by 1987 disc tech standards. I was Using an uncles Stingray and it was an old disc from the late 1980's, that course was too easy even using that as my driver for the first time ever playing.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:03 AM

Past 5 min modification rule. Continued from above.
Though we were playing from the red shorter tees though. A lot of the holes were snoozer wide open holes that if you messed up no problem. It did have some tougher holes but they were still playable by beginners but most of that course was boring wide open holes. Look at photos and you will see a course that most of it is boring open even for me the first time I played a course ever. Course is in Winnona MN.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:40 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 79
Niced 630 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Past 5 min modification rule. Continued from above.
Though we were playing from the red shorter tees though. A lot of the holes were snoozer wide open holes that if you messed up no problem. It did have some tougher holes but they were still playable by beginners but most of that course was boring wide open holes. Look at photos and you will see a course that most of it is boring open even for me the first time I played a course ever. Course is in Winnona MN.
Funny. I gave a course a 1 rating recently for this exact reason (among many other reasons) and was told by another reveiwer in a subsequent review that I should just give the course a chance.

Along with the course you are talking about this one was too easy even for most newbs but I guess I am wrong for having an opinion lol.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:50 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 14
Niced 48 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Area 51 DGC https://www.dgcoursereview.com/cours...d=9355&mode=ci

Course Description:
"Moderate length course with No elevation and tight fairways flanked by 3-7ft tall weeds,grasses and thorns."

Is it called Area 51 because the course conspires against you and it's a secret where your flying saucer is?

There is a newer course that opened close to my home within the past 10 months that has a similar problem plus a couple of others. The rough, starting almost immediately off the fairways, is so high that any disc that gets into it is a 50/50 chance of finding at best. Not unusual to spend almost as much time looking for discs as it does to shoot a 18 hole round. And more times than not you will find 1 or 2 other discs that were lost by others while futilely looking for your own (and the ones I do find are usually discs with no ink on them to return and that I can't throw anyhow). They also have not put any benches, garbage cans or porta johns anywhere on the course and have like that fake green turf on their tees, very slick footing on them. When running into guys playing on other courses I'll ask them if they have played this newer course and they tell me yes, they have played it, but won't go back due to the ridiculous high rough and lost discs. A dude I play DG with has finally learned his lesson about going to this close to home (5 minute drive away) course after losing 3 of his Flicks there in one day and his buddy losing a prized possession first run Daedalus after they had lost other discs there in previous visits to play. Figures they would finally open what looked to be a decent course so close to home and it turns out to be unplayable except in late fall, early winter or early spring.

Last edited by Chaz58; 09-05-2017 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Funny. I gave a course a 1 rating recently for this exact reason (among many other reasons) and was told by another reveiwer in a subsequent review that I should just give the course a chance.

Along with the course you are talking about this one was too easy even for most newbs but I guess I am wrong for having an opinion lol.
I gave that course a 2 star rating and said it is a good course to show a raw new beginner how to play but not much else. Being my first course ever probably helped me give it 2 stars instead of one. Being the course is in the Midwest Winnona Minnesota , wind could be a factor on putting though.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 09-05-2017 at 02:45 AM.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:55 AM

Looking back I gave it a 2.5 star rating.