Old 10-07-2019, 03:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,579 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
What do you mean?
You see Nikko line up his putt and take aim. . then it takes SO long until he Actually putts that Jomez has to cut 10-20sec of his putt routine and cut back again when his DO throw it
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-07-2019, 04:03 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 170
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 729 Times in 334 Posts

Successfully stayed away from all spoilers. Ended up waiting til today to watch the final rounds and watched Jomez and SpinTV side by side and that was great. Not a fan of Jomez putting up the leader board a few times throughout the round which is why I had to watch them side by side but it was really annoying when they did it on hole 17. The leader board makes sense when Jomez is the only coverage but when there are multiple outlets then I do not like it.

Overall post production grade for me would be an A-

Niced: (2)
Old 10-07-2019, 04:28 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.7
Courses Played: 367
Niced 1,749 Times in 859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
So what do the numbers on the vertical axis mean? I assume the numbers on the horizontal are the number of holes played - right?

-Dave
Total score. Up is good (lower).

Start at the expected final score before any holes are played (left side), move to actual final score after 72 holes played (right side). Each wiggle in the line is where the actual score for that hole replaces the expected score for that hole.

Expected scores for each player and hole are based on a linear fit of scores to ratings.

For example, Simon would be expected to average 3.31 on hole 17 in the final round, based on his rating and how the hole played that round. His actual score of
was
throws
worse
than that! So the line went way
down

Old 10-07-2019, 05:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 403 Times in 162 Posts

To each their own, but I found Jamie and the Champ’s vague signaling to the scoreboard equally annoying. They gave more concrete standings on the last two holes but the “somebody might be doing something on the chase card” routine was goofy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Successfully stayed away from all spoilers. Ended up waiting til today to watch the final rounds and watched Jomez and SpinTV side by side and that was great. Not a fan of Jomez putting up the leader board a few times throughout the round which is why I had to watch them side by side but it was really annoying when they did it on hole 17. The leader board makes sense when Jomez is the only coverage but when there are multiple outlets then I do not like it.

Overall post production grade for me would be an A-
Old 10-07-2019, 06:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
To each their own, but I found Jamie and the Champ’s vague signaling to the scoreboard equally annoying. They gave more concrete standings on the last two holes but the “somebody might be doing something on the chase card” routine was goofy.
I have stated in other places, this is the problem that we currently have with post production. They may have been unwilling to talk about 2nd card because Jomez was covering it and didn't want to risk spoiling it for people.

Look at how Horsman took in the coverage above. Having to start and stop 2 different YouTube vids each hole, that is slightly crazy (not his fault). And he still had suggestions about who should show leader boards and who shouldn't, and when. I think that is a bit extreme most events, but I get his reasoning.

I think that Jomez really nailed the ending of the event. But I wonder how acceptable it would have been to show the final shots of another crews card, say if that were CCDG. I assume that Jomez had something agreed upon for this event. But these are things that will need to be ironed out in the future if we continue down this path of production and different crews for different cards, etc. The future is gonna be fun.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,190 Times in 605 Posts

Just watched the back 9 of the final round. Had no idea James almost pulled a JohnE and lost it all. Kudos to him for maintaining composure and getting the win.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:52 PM
Birdie Member

Yeah, I like what Jomez did as well. Someone could write an interesting paper on narrative construction in these videos and the suspension of disbelief about the reality of time.

There’s the time of the tournament and the reconstruction of past time as “current” in the PbP and analysis in the post-pro videos. It’s kind of wonky at times, and I think it’s become more of a thing in the recent past. I feel like post-pro used to be simply a way to capture a card, usually the lead card, in a tournament. But the post-pro now seems more integrated into the larger tournament narrative which, ironically, means that greater distance is needed to not spoil other videos. Think a lot of this has to do with 24-hour turnarounds. Old CCDG videos never played with time in that way because the turnaround time was much longer.

I agree that this will be an interesting issue to work through, with the real issue being questions of what “product” matters the most. All of the production companies — live and post-pro — are covering a product (the tournament) by producing a product (video coverage). But because the video coverage = content = views, they are all also in competition and likely influenced by viewer expectations.

I don’t believe in live sports spoilers so I don’t watch post-pro having suspended reality. But there are “narrative spoilers” which change how viewers engage the product.

Having Jamie do live and post-pro, with the post-pro attempting to feel as “real time” as possible is an interesting wrinkle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I have stated in other places, this is the problem that we currently have with post production. They may have been unwilling to talk about 2nd card because Jomez was covering it and didn't want to risk spoiling it for people.

Look at how Horsman took in the coverage above. Having to start and stop 2 different YouTube vids each hole, that is slightly crazy (not his fault). And he still had suggestions about who should show leader boards and who shouldn't, and when. I think that is a bit extreme most events, but I get his reasoning.

I think that Jomez really nailed the ending of the event. But I wonder how acceptable it would have been to show the final shots of another crews card, say if that were CCDG. I assume that Jomez had something agreed upon for this event. But these are things that will need to be ironed out in the future if we continue down this path of production and different crews for different cards, etc. The future is gonna be fun.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 40
Niced 526 Times in 224 Posts

Just an observation .that it’s pity nobody covered the 3rd card.
I watched Jerm throw that 6 under and kept looking around, disbelieving that nobody was around to film the 3rd card at USDGC.

This isn’t a criticism, just an observation. What a lost opportunity to see some great disc golf.
He played smart, had a great time and didn’t let his card mates’ difficulties draw him in.
One of the highlights of all my years at USDGC.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:52 PM
Birdie Member

Probably extra sweet for him given recent injury. He looked like a hobbled old man in the Jomez skins video from Smuggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
Just an observation .that it’s pity nobody covered the 3rd card.
I watched Jerm throw that 6 under and kept looking around, disbelieving that nobody was around to film the 3rd card at USDGC.

This isn’t a criticism, just an observation. What a lost opportunity to see some great disc golf.
He played smart, had a great time and didn’t let his card mates’ difficulties draw him in.
One of the highlights of all my years at USDGC.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:30 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 475 Times in 180 Posts

Per an IG post today Paul injured his ankle putting on hole 1 of the first round.