Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 12-10-2021, 01:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,026 Times in 567 Posts

I am using my GoPro to film my fieldwork and practice rounds. It has shown me something interesting in my RHBH throws. I thought I was early releasing some throws and grip locking others. My videos show otherwise.

I have three backhand throwing styles.....only one produces what I want. It all has to do with my plant/pivot foot not matching up with my body turning.

1. My body is turning before my lead foot plants/pivots. Disc goes left (using a clock image....released at 10)
2. My body turns after my lead foot plants/pivots. Disc goes right (2 o'clock)
3. My body turns as my lead foot plants/pivots. Disc goes straight (12 o'clock).

A lot has to do with my walk-up speed....go too fast, my body turn gets out of sync with my foot plant/pivot.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-10-2021, 03:52 PM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
I am using my GoPro to film my fieldwork and practice rounds. It has shown me something interesting in my RHBH throws. I thought I was early releasing some throws and grip locking others. My videos show otherwise.

I have three backhand throwing styles.....only one produces what I want. It all has to do with my plant/pivot foot not matching up with my body turning.

1. My body is turning before my lead foot plants/pivots. Disc goes left (using a clock image....released at 10)
2. My body turns after my lead foot plants/pivots. Disc goes right (2 o'clock)
3. My body turns as my lead foot plants/pivots. Disc goes straight (12 o'clock).

A lot has to do with my walk-up speed....go too fast, my body turn gets out of sync with my foot plant/pivot.
Which is the one that you want?
Old 12-10-2021, 05:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisdudeness47 View Post
Which is the one that you want?
I want my body to be turning as the front foot plants/pivots. Then the disc is going on its intended line. Whether I put the disco on hyzer, anhyzer, or straight is a different thing.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

More accurately:
#1 appears to be an early release, but is actually my body out of position for the throw.
#2 appears to be a grip lock, but, again, is actually my body out of position for the throw.
#3 my body is in proper position and the disc is releasing on the intended line.

By noticing my foot/body movement, I was able to stop thinking it was a grip issue (too loose, too tight) and work on the real issue.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:19 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 34 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
More accurately:
#1 appears to be an early release, but is actually my body out of position for the throw.
#2 appears to be a grip lock, but, again, is actually my body out of position for the throw.
#3 my body is in proper position and the disc is releasing on the intended line.

By noticing my foot/body movement, I was able to stop thinking it was a grip issue (too loose, too tight) and work on the real issue.
This idea of the "real" issue is useful. Symptoms vs root causes. Of course for me there's always several things that need fixing, but I do find that in general, I need to fix things from the ground up.

When I'm in good form, it's because the sequence is better. When things are wonky, it's usually because I'm trying to fix something toward the end of the sequence and I get sloppy with the early stuff. I don't have The Move down yet, so I can't go on autopilot with anything.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddball View Post
This idea of the "real" issue is useful. Symptoms vs root causes. Of course for me there's always several things that need fixing, but I do find that in general, I need to fix things from the ground up.

When I'm in good form, it's because the sequence is better. When things are wonky, it's usually because I'm trying to fix something toward the end of the sequence and I get sloppy with the early stuff. I don't have The Move down yet, so I can't go on autopilot with anything.
I don't use the term 'fix' because it implies something is broken. Instead, I use the term 'improve'. I don't want to fix my throw....I want to improve my throw. It's difficult to do because when you change one thing, it can affect other parts. For me, I'd like to be able to do a faster walk-up, but when I started that, I started losing accuracy and consistency because the rest of my body turn/throw got out of synch. So I understood that speeding up would cause me to accept the loss of consistency until I improved the rest of the timing. Right now, I'm limiting myself to a slow walk-up while I work solely on improving my pivot/throw sequence. Then I know any issues that come up with changes aren't due to my walk-up. Once I get everything together with my slow walk-up and don't have to think about it....then it will be time to work on speeding up my walk-up.

But it sure is hard to not 'tweak' multiple things at once.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:52 PM

Niced 15 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
I don't use the term 'fix' because it implies something is broken. Instead, I use the term 'improve'. I don't want to fix my throw....I want to improve my throw. It's difficult to do because when you change one thing, it can affect other parts. For me, I'd like to be able to do a faster walk-up, but when I started that, I started losing accuracy and consistency because the rest of my body turn/throw got out of synch. So I understood that speeding up would cause me to accept the loss of consistency until I improved the rest of the timing. Right now, I'm limiting myself to a slow walk-up while I work solely on improving my pivot/throw sequence. Then I know any issues that come up with changes aren't due to my walk-up. Once I get everything together with my slow walk-up and don't have to think about it....then it will be time to work on speeding up my walk-up.

But it sure is hard to not 'tweak' multiple things at once.
I was just listening to Uli on YouTube talk about this. He thinks most of us get down in the weeds too often. His suggestion was to spend more time slowing down and working on the fluidity of the motions and less time trying to 'fix' minute details of the form.

Niced: (2)