Old 02-17-2016, 07:09 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Field practice

http://youtu.be/0MdJdvSjjeo

I realize after watching this I am pulling high to low...tried working on it to little success.

Feel like I'm bracing decently and I'm getting the disc into the right pec just not on a good plane.

All the rocs went very straight and were 305 - 310 feet in distance.

Any help?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2016, 08:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,926 Times in 3,995 Posts

Hmm, I'd say you are jamming yourself over the top instead of bracing inside your front leg and pivoting. The way you stride and your feet are moving and leaning your upper body back and forth is almost opposite of what you want to do to use your hips and posture and stay in balanced rotation. The high to low swing is also opposite unless you are throwing into the ground right in front of you. Throw some putters and mids with a low to high or level swing and put the high speed drivers away for awhile. The disc should never be above either shoulder. You will likely need to change your grip/orientation.

Drills:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...d.php?t=119328

Old 02-17-2016, 09:48 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks...I can see how my shoulders are out over in front of my hips causing that jamming.
Also from the videos I can see that my front foot is open on the plant...playing around in the garage I was able to get a feel for a perpendicular plant with a shoulder/spine angle that is consistent with the videos. Let's hope I can translate this to practice.

I've tried to watch and do Enjoy the ball golf videos...I played competitively in high school and college...I wish I could translate that into disc golf. Maybe I'm to close to that sport already to get the takeaways...

Last edited by rexdp10; 02-17-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:31 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 2,116 Times in 1,170 Posts

To my eyes...it seems you're "form" is the same speed from start to finish. I'd like to see you start even slower and explode in speed, right as the disc starts to move forward from the reach back.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexdp10 View Post
..I played competitively in high school and college...I wish I could translate that into disc golf. Maybe I'm to close to that sport already to get the takeaways...
I've never actually played ball golf, short of putt-putt and trying to hit a couple drives with zero success. Can't begin to say how much those golf vids helped my disc golf swing. It's just a one handed backhand golf club swing release except the club is a lot shorter so you can bend your elbow further to bring the disc further forward straighter through and accelerate your lower arm faster later. The disc is your club and the shaft would be along the line of the thumb so your grip on the disc rim is like your hand on the club.

Try this:

Old 02-18-2016, 07:55 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Okay...here is today...
http://youtu.be/8IrN0K0oEH8

Trying to keep pull lower...it's starting to come down

Question...my right shoulder...should it be lower, same plane, or higher than back shoulder if I'm trying to throw a flat or mild hyzer(not spike it or sweeping...think straight)???

Also, I'm really actively thinking with my right hip to trust it into the sky on the rotation( per Dave f and the video you posted with with leading with the butt). Am I interpreting this correctly? I recognize I'm still getting over the top with my front shoulder.

These were ESP comets(2nd run)...they traveled 325/335 based on UDisc.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Flat is kind of a misnomer. If the shoulders rotate flat, it's actually an anhyzer release. On hyzer or flat throws the right shoulder be lower in the backswing because your spine should be tilted forward in standard ready athletic position so chest is compressed toward thighs like a squat and then you turn inside your posture so the shoulders rotate on angled plane. You can put some different english on the throw by varying your spine tilt during the throw.

Hard to tell from that camera angle but your stance appears quite open when you plant your front foot to the right of your rear foot. Check the cover image in the closed shoulder drill, and note how his front foot is well closer to the wood plank than the rear foot. You want to shift your weight more "from behind you". Hip to the sky is a feeling or sensation you get from that when you extend your front knee.