Old 11-08-2021, 01:00 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,030 Times in 998 Posts
Default DiscDot Putting Aid?

I keep seeing these on every disc site, but there's zero discussion about them on DGCR. Anybody own or use these before?

Half of me thinks it's a waste of money but I do believe it would work better than just, "pick a chain link and focus on that" - your thoughts?

https://discdotusa.com/
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-08-2021, 01:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 28
Courses Played: 122
Niced 5,232 Times in 1,937 Posts

All of me agrees with half of you- the pet rock of disc golf.

Old 11-08-2021, 01:32 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 560 Times in 275 Posts

I got two in a player's pack recently. While they are nice to have and easy to install, I am of the mindset practice how you play. Disc dots are a neat idea but can't help unless you can't have them on every basket you play imo.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-08-2021, 02:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,290 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm0514 View Post
I got two in a player's pack recently. While they are nice to have and easy to install, I am of the mindset practice how you play. Disc dots are a neat idea but can't help unless you can't have them on every basket you play imo.
Exactly my thought....yes it gives you a target to focus on when practicing, but what do you focus on when actually playing? You get so used to focusing on the Disc Dot and not a specific link. Also, how much does the Disc Dot affect the disc when it hits the thing? Does a player have to make adjustments for the reaction of the disc hitting the Disc Dot...and then re-adjust when the Disc Dot doesn't exist?

If I want something to focus on while practicing, I can put a small piece of painter's tape on a chain link and serve the same purpose...with less chance of my disc being redirected by hitting the tape. But I prefer to focus on an actual link since that is what I need to do when playing.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2,018 Times in 837 Posts

I believe they have illuminated ones which would be cool for night golf.

Old 11-09-2021, 06:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 425 Times in 223 Posts

I have them on my practice baskets. When I have them indoors in the winter it's nice since the space I have them in isn't illuminated super well.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 278
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 463 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
Exactly my thought....yes it gives you a target to focus on when practicing, but what do you focus on when actually playing? You get so used to focusing on the Disc Dot and not a specific link. Also, how much does the Disc Dot affect the disc when it hits the thing? Does a player have to make adjustments for the reaction of the disc hitting the Disc Dot...and then re-adjust when the Disc Dot doesn't exist?

If I want something to focus on while practicing, I can put a small piece of painter's tape on a chain link and serve the same purpose...with less chance of my disc being redirected by hitting the tape. But I prefer to focus on an actual link since that is what I need to do when playing.
I also use the "focus on a link" method. But to answer the questions you raised, I compare this to meditation sessions that emphasize breathing. It's a similar training aid. It teaches you how to focus - so you become better at focus, when it counts.

It's absolutely the same with choosing a link or using painters's tape. It's learning the skill of quieting down and focusing, so you can perform. "Learning and repeating the routine" seems to be a universally-recommended approach to putting.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:54 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 26
Niced 799 Times in 401 Posts

Do you ever putt something down on the field, like a length of pipe/driveway-marker, to serve as a guide so that you can work on your footwork? It’s the same principle.

Me personally, I struggle with my eyes literally becoming unfocused, I mean staring off into the middle distance, halfway through my putting stroke. Having something very obvious to focus on helps me work on literally maintaining the focus of my eyes. YMMV.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-09-2021, 12:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,290 Times in 720 Posts

I agree with the people who say it gives them something to practice focusing on. My only thought/issue is that hitting the spot you are focusing on can cause your disc to react differently than when it hits a chain without the Disc Dot. So if you are altering your throw due to how the disc reacts when it hits the Disc Dot...it may be helping with your focus, but not with your actual putting.

Old 11-09-2021, 12:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 2,018 Times in 837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
I agree with the people who say it gives them something to practice focusing on. My only thought/issue is that hitting the spot you are focusing on can cause your disc to react differently than when it hits a chain without the Disc Dot. So if you are altering your throw due to how the disc reacts when it hits the Disc Dot...it may be helping with your focus, but not with your actual putting.
I might be wrong since I haven’t held one in my hand but I have a hard time seeing those lil guys doing anything significant to the catching ability of the basket