Old 07-10-2019, 06:38 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,680 Times in 762 Posts

While popular acclaim seems to make level tee pads an expected accommodation, the game itself has an infinite variety of shot challenges after the tee shot. In fact, the origin of the game had all kinds of terrain challenges for teeing areas as the players made their way through the park making up holes as they went or returning to the same tee spots once their object course had been established. The argument for consistent level pads has more to do with functional aspects of course design to where tee pads are easy to identify, reduce erosion, are ideally safer and provide more appropriate surfaces for players to throw hard in whatever way they see fit.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 314
Niced 2,274 Times in 1,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
While popular acclaim seems to make level tee pads an expected accommodation, the game itself has an infinite variety of shot challenges after the tee shot. In fact, the origin of the game had all kinds of terrain challenges for teeing areas as the players made their way through the park making up holes as they went or returning to the same tee spots once their object course had been established. The argument for consistent level pads has more to do with functional aspects of course design to where tee pads are easy to identify, reduce erosion, are ideally safer and provide more appropriate surfaces for players to throw hard in whatever way they see fit.
Valid point that the playing surface may have be great inconsistencies beyond the teeing area. I can live with what nature provides as a fairway.

But if you're going to install a tee, at least make it reasonably level.

Doing so provides players their best opportunity for more D and accuracy off the tee, which may mean a shorter or easier 2nd shot, and greater liklihood the 2nd shot doesn't require a runup, thereby minimizing the surfaces effect on the shot. Might even allow players to clear questionable sections of the playing surfaces completely, thereby taking them out of play for good drives.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:43 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.3
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 175 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Fair enough, but to imagine that disc golfers weren't (and frequently still are) re-inventing the wheel when it comes to Golf is silly. No matter how strongly one desires to create their own identity, one simply cannot escape one's heritage - heritage always remains a part of one's identity, like it or not. For example, can you imagine a golf course with only one hole - par 68? OR where did the idea of a series of holes which make up the 'course' come from in the first place?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 269
Niced 82 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
I have seen some Tee pads from a Disc golf course that they followed the land rather then make them level so one hole players had to play at a 20 degree angle. This was an course in California, a newer course that too the design rules literally and person who designed them thought the hole tee pad had to be made level to the ground so they went to the ground not to the player.

Worst have seen that was not natural or Asphalt in the case of all but one of the old pads at Tuthill park that were falling apart only a few years after the course was made were some of the ones on the Omaha course in Rapid City that had Quickcrete on top of some of the really worn/cracking concrete tee pad and they did not smooth out properly the Quickcreate was a tad lumpy, but smooth enough to play on. Now (have not seen it ) the Omaha course has new Tee pads I think? or the local club fixed the old tepads with Quickcreate correctly but has new baskets replacing the home made rebar for sure, the new baskets were old modern bottom catcher Mach III from the nearby Jackson course that got Mach V. I thought that the local Club was going to put the old Chainstar baskets on the Omaha course but I forgot those became club baskets for temporary courses.
Carolina Adventure World In Winnsboro, SC is a good course with terrible sloping tee pads on some holes with elevation. Some of the pads seem to be at a 15% - 20% slope upward or downward with the terrain. I am surprised no one has been injured especially on #13 and short #18.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:31 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,680 Times in 762 Posts

Note that I'm not lobbying against level pads, just pointing out that the game dynamics don't naturally dictate level tee pads being a requirement but ultimately has evolved into a player expectation and de facto guideline.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:37 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 54
Niced 7 Times in 3 Posts

Appreciate the feedback. I will be present for placement of all forms so blind direction to newbies to nuances of tee pads will not be as much of an issue as I anticipated. Forms to be set Monday 7/15/19!

As I had stated the tees will all be fairly level with lay of the land, but to be safe I will be "leveling" two tees which naturally slope down on the front if following lay of land. As others have stated teeing downward can be uncomfortable to players and is very easily remedied with gravel fill adjustments (only a few degrees required).

As pointed out in posts it is all about safety, avoiding erosion, tee longevity, and of course player's experience.

Regarding PDGA Guidelines "not too sharply"....I feel well within those guidelines especially since just guidelines (not rules) and "too sharply" being vague, I expect there will be no justified "sharp" criticism of the end result.

Thanks for the input.