Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses > Course Design

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer to play/watch most?
Disc golf courses; wooded, natural object 94 93.07%
Ball golf courses; long, open fairways 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2016, 02:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 345 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etdefender19 View Post
This would have been my vote, had it been an option
Would have been most people's (obvious) choice. That's why it was a pick one or the other, if you had to. And it looks to be a resounding NO to the direction of going to ball golf courses/tournaments.
Quote:
There's a nine-hole ball golf course (Emerald Lakes GC in Elk Grove, CA) I drive by on my way home from work (and have played dozens of times). Every time I drive by, I think it could be converted to a fantastic disc golf course (probably would need to plant some trees in the driving range to get the last few holes to make a full 18) and start imagining where the chains and teepads would go. Maybe when I hit the lotto, I'll buy it and make my dream DG course.
How much would you be willing to pay to play a round of disc golf, if that was a disc golf on a ball golf course? And how often would you be wanting/able to do that?

Figuring you still haven't won the lotto...
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2016, 02:18 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,281 Times in 1,065 Posts

Open courses minimize the one thing that sets disc golf apart from just about every sport: We can make our projectile go left, then right, then left again and vice versa. Winding a disc around obstacles is literally the essence of the game and repeatedly crushing hyzers is the antithesis.

I agree with Sauls about the ball golf envy. So tired of that mindset.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-29-2016, 02:26 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 245 Times in 128 Posts

I don't mind paying a few bucks to play DG. A few courses around here are either a few bucks to play or (in the case of the courses that are in Lodi and Stockton) you pay to get into the park where the course is located.

That said, I don't have unlimited cash flow and would rather spend my DG budget on new plastic. On the other hand, I routinely shelled out $40-60 for ball golf rounds (and the Sacramento area is relatively cheap for good quality ball golf courses) when I played that sport regularly.

I do wish there were a few more options around here, pay-to-play or not
Old 06-29-2016, 06:21 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.6
Courses Played: 366
Niced 1,713 Times in 841 Posts

Quote:
There's a nine-hole ball golf course (Emerald Lakes GC in Elk Grove, CA) I drive by on my way home from work (and have played dozens of times). Every time I drive by, I think it could be converted to a fantastic disc golf course (probably would need to plant some trees in the driving range to get the last few holes to make a full 18) and start imagining where the chains and teepads would go. Maybe when I hit the lotto, I'll buy it and make my dream DG course.

Point them here: http://www.stevewestdiscgolf.com/DiscGolf.pdf
Old 07-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 137
Niced 23 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Open courses minimize the one thing that sets disc golf apart from just about every sport: We can make our projectile go left, then right, then left again and vice versa. Winding a disc around obstacles is literally the essence of the game and repeatedly crushing hyzers is the antithesis.

I agree with Sauls about the ball golf envy. So tired of that mindset.
Well said. Natural settings are disc golf. If I want to play on a ball golf course I'll just play ball golf. I avoid long open courses.

Niced: (2)

Old 07-30-2019, 12:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.3
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 175 Times in 94 Posts

This question is a strong and valid one, however, it's set up with a false dichotomy as many have observed.

When considering the question, it seems our relationship to golf is what is important.

A test of golf and golfing skill is 'unfair' when certain skills are lopsidedly favored over any other golfing skills, as is the case of 'hyzer bomb' courses. This is speaking as a player and this is why courses which feature 'variety' inevitably are considered the 'best courses' - as 'pure' golf courses or a single standalone course. Like in life, everyone will have the CHANCE to shine or fail relative to their own merit on a course like this - one reason why Houck is considered an exemplary designer. Variabilty in golfing challenges might also be considered more 'realistic' - because not all challenges are the same for every player OR one-trick ponies are merely that OR it's easier for anyone to 'buy into' the illusion of the game.

I won't say I've got the lock on defining 'value', but long open courses have their purposes and can be very fun. It seems the intentions for building them are ordered differently than 'other' courses. Obvious, are the capitalization angles, the relative ease of construction, the marketing and the media environments, what land's available, etc. If I'm a promoter, what do I like to see most? If I'm watching on Youtube, what do I like to see most?

Another consideration could be called 'sentimental' value? If I had a great time with my friends, camping out, telling lies, playing a tournament and the like - is this criteria, open/tight my first consideration? What if I designed it? Worked on it? Own it? Live nearby? Won a tournament there? You catch my drift...its a question that deceives with false naivety.

Last edited by curmudgeonDwindle; 07-30-2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: spelling