Old 05-18-2017, 07:50 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default Fairway Driver Help

So I have my whole bag figured out (Finally!) Except Fairway Drivers.

I carry I Rival that for me is okay but in any kind of wind it seems to flip over. I also have a beat up Recycled Spark that I found but that's kind of the opposite, a little too stable.

I've tried a Champ TeeBird and wasn't a fan of that, as well as the MVP servo.

I throw my E-mac Truth and my Shields really well though, and would like to find a driver mold that flies similarly to those but I can get a little more D and a touch more fade out of.

Thanks!

(My first post other than the Marketplace so take it easy on me)

Also I throw ~330 max RHBH predominant
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2017, 07:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 204
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,025 Times in 641 Posts

Seems to me like an overstable Teebird would be exactly what you want. What didn't you like about the champion?

I generally like Champion/Z plastic, but Teebirds seem to excel in Star for some reason.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:55 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 214 Times in 147 Posts

What didn't you like about the servo/teebird?
The volt is my only real fairway driver I bag right now. Straight to fade when new, straight to more straight when beat up (like mine is). A max weight proton/neutron should have a decent fade to start out with, while a fission could be slightly less stable from the get go. Craves I've found are good for line shaping fairways but they just aren't in my bag right now.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 21
Niced 145 Times in 95 Posts
Default Fairway Driver Help

I've been throwing a champ thunderbird recently and have liked that. I like the higher speed since it reaches into the shorter D.D. gap and is slow enough to handle most fairway shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 07:58 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Seems to me like an overstable Teebird would be exactly what you want. What didn't you like about the champion?

I generally like Champion/Z plastic, but Teebirds seem to excel in Star for some reason.
It hasn't been in the bag for a bit, and my form has probably improved a little since I took it out, but I remember it just flying more stable than I anticipated.

I've been considering the Eagle but I'm not sure if that's just a more stable teebird or if you really get the -1 turn. talking about the X-mold.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:59 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I would really like to throw out the Alpha from Mint Discs. Truly is a fantastic and extremely versatile mold. I think it could easily be a work horse driver for pretty much every golfers bag.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 49
Niced 479 Times in 320 Posts

Sounds like you need a Sexton Firebird. Not really, at 330' of max distance, you should prolly be looking at either slower fairways or understable-ish control drivers. Maybe a Discmania S-CD2, Star Eagle, or Prodigy 400S F2
Old 05-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsammons View Post
What didn't you like about the servo/teebird?
The volt is my only real fairway driver I bag right now. Straight to fade when new, straight to more straight when beat up (like mine is). A max weight proton/neutron should have a decent fade to start out with, while a fission could be slightly less stable from the get go. Craves I've found are good for line shaping fairways but they just aren't in my bag right now.
The Servo I think was supposed to have that -1 turn and mine was a 167 neutron that never even thought about turning, I thought it was even more stable than my teebird and pretty close to my spark. The Crave has been on my radar as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinntastic View Post
I've been throwing a champ thunderbird recently and have liked that. I like the higher speed since it reaches into the shorter D.D. gap and is slow enough to handle most fairway shots.

I throw a Star Thunderbird and a Pro Thunderbird, the Star is my headwind driver, and I haven't thrown the Pro enough to report on that one quite yet.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Bogey Member

If anyone has seen Paul throw his TeeBird3, that is the flight I's like to see. That real straight with a hair of finish at the end, I'm assuming if I threw a TB3 it would just be even beefier than a normal TeeBird though.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:08 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 21
Niced 145 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANhyzerDG View Post
I would really like to throw out the Alpha from Mint Discs. Truly is a fantastic and extremely versatile mold. I think it could easily be a work horse driver for pretty much every golfers bag.

I was thinking about getting one. Sound like you highly recommend. What would you compare it to, or is it in a class of its own?