Old 05-18-2017, 08:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 572 Times in 332 Posts

How old and beat is your rival? New Icon could be what you want.
Rival, Spark, Teebird all feel pretty similar to me but there are differences in plastic and as you experienced with the same amount of use I would say the Rival loses stability more and faster than a Teebird and a Spark starts out more OS and ... well mine isn't old enough for me to comment on how it beats in, but its Trilogy so I expect it to lose significant stability.

My Star Eagle and Star Teebirds both started out flying kinda similar off the shelf but that -1 on the HSS of the Eagle quickly became reality where the TBs held the stability longer. I stopped bagging the Eagle but its a flip to turn over now and my Star TB has gotten to the point it flys like the Rival that flew off into the sunset never to return so I have a Metal Flake TB for the more OS needs. Not 100% sold on the Spark as a replacement but i keep throwing it because I want to see how it flys with some seasoning.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2017, 08:09 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 113 Times in 73 Posts

What didn't you like about the teebird? Flight or feel?
Old 05-18-2017, 08:11 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 214 Times in 147 Posts

Strange about the servo, mine is pretty turn happy. I've got a lightweight (158) crave that is pretty straight to fade from 275-375 feet that I don't use if you're interested in it.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 27 Times in 17 Posts

Sounds like an Eagle or a Crave is my best bet. Was leaning towards the Star Eagle in a low 170s weight
Old 05-18-2017, 08:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 19
Niced 10 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzyurpalz View Post
If anyone has seen Paul throw his TeeBird3, that is the flight I's like to see. That real straight with a hair of finish at the end, I'm assuming if I threw a TB3 it would just be even beefier than a normal TeeBird though.
GSTAR TL3 is this for us mortals, very straight at 300+ with slight but reliable fade. Pairs well with a teebird.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,644 Times in 1,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzyurpalz View Post
If anyone has seen Paul throw his TeeBird3, that is the flight I's like to see. That real straight with a hair of finish at the end, I'm assuming if I threw a TB3 it would just be even beefier than a normal TeeBird though.
If you max ~330' are you throwing fairways 300-310'? I get that the Spark and Champ Teebird could be more OS than you want. How understable is your Rival though...because on paper that would be a good bet to me.

I want to suggest either a Star TL or a C-line FD for the McBeth Teebird type shot (they should act at 300' how his Teebirds act at 375'+ for him), the only concern I have is that your Rival isn't trustworthy enough. Keep in mind none of these discs will handle more than a moderate breeze since they'll be HSS -0.5 to -1...real straight fliers in calm conditions but at the cost of flipping in wind. I don't see McBeth throwing his Teebirds in much wind either.

Gstar Teebirds are also a really good disc for a -0/2 type of flight, but they really remind me of my limited experience with Rivals.

Last edited by slowplastic; 05-18-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,557 Times in 639 Posts

Star Teebird, 168ish.
At ~330 it's absolutely perfect.
Touch of hyzer in a breeze.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 27 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
If you max ~330' are you throwing fairways 300-310'? I get that the Spark and Champ Teebird could be more OS than you want. How understable is your Rival though...because on paper that would be a good bet to me.

I want to suggest either a Star TL or a C-line FD for the McBeth Teebird type shot (they should act at 300' how his Teebirds act at 375'+ for him), the only concern I have is that your Rival isn't trustworthy enough. Keep in mind none of these discs will handle more than a moderate breeze since they'll be HSS -0.5 to -1...real straight fliers in calm conditions but at the cost of flipping in wind. I don't see McBeth throwing his Teebirds in much wind either.

Gstar Teebirds are also a really good disc for a -0/2 type of flight, but they really remind me of my limited experience with Rivals.
The Rival is pretty light at 166, it's Pinnacle plastic. It flies pretty TeeBird like it just goes way right for me on the open holes with wind.

The FD is another I've been thinking of, I'd love to just grab an FD, a TL, an Eagle etc. and just try em all out but that'd cost too much and I've got like 2 boxes of discs I don't throw already
Old 05-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 15
Niced 570 Times in 337 Posts

Why not throw an add on the market place for trades?

I was gonna suggest TL or s-line FD myself. QJLS is another option for straight with mild fade

Old 05-18-2017, 09:05 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinntastic View Post
I was thinking about getting one. Sound like you highly recommend. What would you compare it to, or is it in a class of its own?

I definitely highly recommend the Alpha, Eternal plastic in particular. All the plastics are really nice though.

It's an extremely controllable, versatile, glider and sneaky long mold. If I have to make some sort of comparison I'd say it's like as if the TeeBird and PD/Thunderbird had a child. I feel the Alpha is truly the best of both worlds.

What I love the most is when thrown on a forced turn over is how the Alpha rides the line but doesn't bite over but actually just slowly fights back to Flat then hyzers out. The lateral movement of the Alpha is slower than the PD/Thunderbird which I enjoy. I can't say enough positive things about the Alpha truly. If I was forced to say something that I think some may not enjoy would be the amount of dome on some of them.

Niced: (1)