Old 08-19-2020, 10:40 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 371 Times in 176 Posts

We are hand buddies! My hands are exactly the same size! My middle finger is a 1/4” shorter than yours and I am willing to bet my index is significantly shorter at exactly 2.5”.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2020, 09:46 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 259 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
I definitely didn't mean to imply it was easy. Just saying that your grip is not necessarily the issue, and I would suspect your are not getting rotation of the last pivot point in your throw.
This seems like a fancy way of saying "early release", yes?

I can understand that an early release will lead to nose up, as the disc hasn't rotated to its nose down position yet. I also understand that when I have early release issues, they are most likely related to beginning the pull too early. But again, that isn't the point of my post.

I'm talking about getting the proper nose down position at the point that you grip the disc, and feeling secure in that grip. If you want to dismiss that, I think you are dismissing the vast majority of the disc golf community, who spend a lot of time talking about how grippy a disc feels, how comfortable it is in the hand, etc. That's the problem I'm trying to approach, not early release cause by early pull.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:02 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
I won't be too helpful, but feel I should chime in. I'm what, 5'7ish 140 soaking wet? Not a large man. Hell, I can't grow a beard if my life depended on it. Point being, I doubt your hands are much smaller (if at all) than mine. Have you measured bottom of palm to top of middle finger like glove sizing asks you to? Distance between your first index knuckle to pinky knuckle?

Cannon (2.5cm rim width) is my maxD driver and I can handle that. I do NOT power grip mids and putters...feels goofy to me. Fork? grip for those - index and pinky pressed against the inside rim while my middle and ring fingers are extended out onto the flight plate. Do you power grip putters or mids comfortably?
I need an extra set of hands to get the proper pics, but at 5'10" my hand appears to be slightly wider than yours, and the palm is slightly taller, but the fingers are shorter. I'm a strange fit. In glove size, I'm a large cadet. Part of it is that my pointer finger is, I believe, relatively even shorter compared to my middle finger.

My feet are similarly weird and I needed custom orthotics to correct a whole host of issues and have a devil of a time finding shoes that fit. I measure at a 9, but wear an 11 wide or, depending on the specific last, sometimes an 11.5 extra wide.

When I grip a wide rimmed disc, the tip of my pointer finger doesn't quite touch the flight plate, it just hooks over the rim and the rim contact point is at the side edge of the pad of my finger.

But, as I said originally, I know my hand size isn't particularly the issue, as plenty of women have success throwing wide rimmed discs. I just need to figure out how to be comfortable doing so.

Maybe it's just repetition. Maybe it's a different grip. Maybe something else.

I sometimes wonder why there isn't a disc golf glove. Maybe I should grab a ball golf glove for lefties, or a set of winter golf gloves and see what that's like.

Last edited by Rastnav; 08-20-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:22 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 180
Niced 231 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
I sometimes wonder why there isn't a disc golf glove. Maybe I should grab a ball golf glove for lefties, or a set of winter golf gloves and see what that's like.
These already exist!

https://www.frictiongloves.com/

I haven’t personally used them, but have heard plenty of positive things from others. They work especially well in rainy conditions, when everybody struggles with grip. I seem to remember a few pros who used them for rainy rounds, but haven’t kept track.

Can’t help with your other grip questions, though like you said, it’s probably more to do with how you’re positioning your hand on the disc, rather than the dimensions of your hands.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:41 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aredoubles View Post
These already exist!

I haven’t personally used them, but have heard plenty of positive things from others. They work especially well in rainy conditions, when everybody struggles with grip. I seem to remember a few pros who used them for rainy rounds, but haven’t kept track.

Can’t help with your other grip questions, though like you said, it’s probably more to do with how you’re positioning your hand on the disc, rather than the dimensions of your hands.
Hah!

I should have knonwn.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5,105 Times in 1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aredoubles View Post
These already exist!

I use one in significant rain. I normally don't have many grip issues, but these really help if EVERYTHING is wet.

I have larger hands than Grip, but I don't care for wide rimmed drivers. Outside of the fact, most are higher speed than I need to be throwing, with my arm speed, I just don't feel like I get a good rip. I think some of this is personal preference.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:49 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I use one in significant rain. I normally don't have many grip issues, but these really help if EVERYTHING is wet.

I have larger hands than Grip, but I don't care for wide rimmed drivers. Outside of the fact, most are higher speed than I need to be throwing, with my arm speed, I just don't feel like I get a good rip. I think some of this is personal preference.
I'm talking wider rimmed for noodle armed me. A few 9 and one 10 speed are the fastest discs I have in the bag. So, not distance drivers, but higher speed fairways.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-20-2020, 11:13 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 371 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
This seems like a fancy way of saying "early release", yes?

I can understand that an early release will lead to nose up, as the disc hasn't rotated to its nose down position yet. I also understand that when I have early release issues, they are most likely related to beginning the pull too early. But again, that isn't the point of my post.

I'm talking about getting the proper nose down position at the point that you grip the disc, and feeling secure in that grip. If you want to dismiss that, I think you are dismissing the vast majority of the disc golf community, who spend a lot of time talking about how grippy a disc feels, how comfortable it is in the hand, etc. That's the problem I'm trying to approach, not early release cause by early pull.
No, it is not a fancy way of saying "early release" in the way it is generally used. Half hitters don't always have early release, they just don't have any use of their final pivot point.

I think you would be surprised by how much your form is causing your issues. To give a personal anecdote, I hate playing in the rain and I always blamed my short fingers for a lack of grip on wet discs. One day it was drizzling and I made the rare decision to still do field work. After about 20 minutes of slipping around, I slowed down my swing to the point where the grip didn't fail. And all of a sudden I was throwing some shots past my usual average. Now my anecdote doesn't have anything to do with nose angle, but the same applies. It wasn't my grip, or the plastic, or the amount of rain. It isn't your short fingers, it is your form.

If you don't want to accept this fact, then go ahead and do goofy things like the bonopane grip, or disc down or whatever floats your boat. I have used pine tar before in the rain, and that works surprisingly well. I also suggest you bring some windex in a small squirt bottle; if you spray windex on a Champ disc it will be the best wet grip you have ever had believe it or not.

Old 08-20-2020, 02:03 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
No, it is not a fancy way of saying "early release" in the way it is generally used. Half hitters don't always have early release, they just don't have any use of their final pivot point.

I think you would be surprised by how much your form is causing your issues. To give a personal anecdote, I hate playing in the rain and I always blamed my short fingers for a lack of grip on wet discs. One day it was drizzling and I made the rare decision to still do field work. After about 20 minutes of slipping around, I slowed down my swing to the point where the grip didn't fail. And all of a sudden I was throwing some shots past my usual average. Now my anecdote doesn't have anything to do with nose angle, but the same applies. It wasn't my grip, or the plastic, or the amount of rain. It isn't your short fingers, it is your form.

If you don't want to accept this fact, then go ahead and do goofy things like the bonopane grip, or disc down or whatever floats your boat. I have used pine tar before in the rain, and that works surprisingly well. I also suggest you bring some windex in a small squirt bottle; if you spray windex on a Champ disc it will be the best wet grip you have ever had believe it or not.
Still not talking about release or nose angle in flight. But bang on, as you wish.

Old 08-20-2020, 02:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 690 Times in 336 Posts

Rastnav, I have had similar issues. I have big palms but fingers are somewhat short. For awhile, I wasn’t throwing anything over Speed 10.

Recently, I found that I have to adjust my grip for Speed 11-13 drivers to get my thumb flatter and further into the flight plate.

I’ve also been working on grip strength. I take the widest rimmed driver I own and swing it repeatedly through the disc “pivot” without letting go. After 15-20 reps, I can feel my forearm tighten up, especially the muscles that pinch the thumb and index fingers. Doing this a few times a week has made a big difference and I am getting more distance separation between Speed 10 and 12/13 Drivers.