Old 01-06-2021, 04:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,056 Times in 799 Posts
Default Sword vs. Hades

Today in the field I put a 174g VIP Sword up against a 174 ESP proto Hades. For two discs that have fairly similar flight numbers, there were some subtle differences I observed between them.

Listed flight numbers: Hades- 12, 6, -3, 2. Sword- 12, 5, 0, 2.

Westside is famous for having outrageously inaccurate flight numbers on many of their molds. The Sword is no exception. Anyone who's ever thrown a Sword knows they have substantial high speed turn. To rate it as 0 is laughable.

I found the Sword and Hades to have very similar looking flights. They had the same amount of high speed turn and late fade. The Hades is definitely faster and has more glide than the Sword, though. Both discs turned and burned a few times. I was throwing in slightly breezy conditions. Any time the breeze as in my face I had to steeply hyzer them to keep them from flipping entirely.

The extra speed and glide of the Hades were difference makers in terms of overall performance. I was getting probably 30' more out of the Hades than the Sword. Both would fly the same looping S curve lines. The Hades just floated more and carried further. Top distance with the Hades today was probably 450'. Honestly, the more I throw the Hades, the better I get with it. That disc is "sneaky long" and will keep up with almost anything out there. My only real knock on the Hades is that it can be flaky. The understability will show at random times, and the disc will turn and burn badly. The Hades isn't a disc I'd ever choose if pinpoint accuracy was a must.

The Sword seemed a little clunky and short. I threw several big, flexing S curves with it only to find it short of the Hades every time. The Sword simply doesn't penetrate or glide as well as the Hades. The Sword also proved finicky. It won't tolerate any sort of headwind. I flipped it over entirely numerous times. The Sword seems to have a finite amount of power it can take before it bails out. The Hades seems to hyzerflip more reliably.

I'd rate the Sword at 11, 5, -3, 2. I feel like the Sword is slower and MUCH flippier than Westside's numbers indicate. The Sword falls well short of the Hades. I don't feel like the Sword is quite a max distance driver. I felt like I was overpowering it, and the distance wasn't super impressive.

The Hades flew great. Discraft's flight numbers of 12, 6, -3, 2 seem dead on. The Hades is definitely flippy and can be finicky, but I feel like it takes power better than the Sword, and responds with great glide and distance.

Both of these discs are good for intermediate arms. You don't need a ton of speed to flip either one. If you want max distance, choose the Hades. The Sword just isn't as long.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Twmccoy; 01-06-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 946 Times in 641 Posts

Agree completely on the Sword. I think there is big variation in the Hades. I would suggest you get some more if possible. The two I have are barely -1 in turn. I am totally in love with both.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Agree completely on the Sword. I think there is big variation in the Hades. I would suggest you get some more if possible. The two I have are barely -1 in turn. I am totally in love with both.
I've thrown 4 Hades'. The first one didn't have a ton of turn. The other 3 are -3 turn. The ones with more turn also have really floaty glide. I agree there's some mold inconsistency.

I have 1 other Hades (167-169) I haven't thrown yet. I imagine it'll be flippy, but who knows.

All I know is that the Hades blows the Sword away.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-06-2021, 08:42 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,680 Times in 1,050 Posts

Sword isn’t a bad disc per se, but I feel like the Boatman, which has better HSS and glide is what it wants to be but doesn’t quite deliver. It’s probably slower but I can throw it further.

Haven’t thrown a Hades yet, was going to give one a shot but they were sold out on Infinite when I placed my last order.

The Kahu XG I have to say is the most impressive understable driver I’ve thrown in years. Thrown flat it turns a bit and glides a bunch. Longest BH disc for me so far.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
Sword isn’t a bad disc per se, but I feel like the Boatman, which has better HSS and glide is what it wants to be but doesn’t quite deliver. It’s probably slower but I can throw it further.

Haven’t thrown a Hades yet, was going to give one a shot but they were sold out on Infinite when I placed my last order.

The Kahu XG I have to say is the most impressive understable driver I’ve thrown in years. Thrown flat it turns a bit and glides a bunch. Longest BH disc for me so far.
My 1 Kahu actually seemed somewhat overstable. Metal flake champion-like plastic. I'll have to dig it out again and give it another go round.

The most impressive understable bomber I've thrown in years is the Axiom Excite. Other than maybe the G* Corvette, it slaughters everything I put it up against for sheer distance.

I've thrown the Boatman. It seemed to have less glide than the Sword. It reminded me of a Wraith.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:55 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,680 Times in 1,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
My 1 Kahu actually seemed somewhat overstable. Metal flake champion-like plastic. I'll have to dig it out again and give it another go round.

The most impressive understable bomber I've thrown in years is the Axiom Excite. Other than maybe the G* Corvette, it slaughters everything I put it up against for sheer distance.

I've thrown the Boatman. It seemed to have less glide than the Sword. It reminded me of a Wraith.
Their cosmic(MF champ) plastic is Way more Os than the Atomic(swirly star) plastic. I have one like you are describing and it’s a lot like a Champ Boss or Giant. I’ve had 4 Atomic and they fly for days.

I think a beat wraith flight was the intention with the Boatman, but the one I have is pretty long for that style of disc. Of maybe I just got a very clunky sword.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
Their cosmic(MF champ) plastic is Way more Os than the Atomic(swirly star) plastic. I have one like you are describing and it’s a lot like a Champ Boss or Giant. I’ve had 4 Atomic and they fly for days.

I think a beat wraith flight was the intention with the Boatman, but the one I have is pretty long for that style of disc. Of maybe I just got a very clunky sword.
I've probably thrown 6 or 7 Swords. They're just disappointingly short. They seem similar to the Trespass, but I have better luck with Trespasses.

Swords tend to be flippy, but I've also seen a couple beefy ones. A beefy Sword is tough to deal with. They won't turn or glide, and they're short.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 211
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 217 Times in 134 Posts

Hades to Shryke comparison? I've read you've thrown Shrykes a decent amount.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:22 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 97 Times in 69 Posts

At least for me, I've thrown Hades that wind up more stable and less stable than Shrykes. Shyrkes seem to be more consistent. Shrykes vary from like -1.5/2 to -2/2 while Hades can vary from like -1/2 to -4/2.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 922 Times in 559 Posts

I always find these comparisons interesting, TWM. Keep 'em coming. That said, I don't know how your arm hasn't fallen off yet. It seems like you are constantly throwing distance drivers for max distance tests, which is something I can't do for more than a handful of consecutive reps. Glad someone is out there that can perform the scientific experiments for the rest of us!