Old 08-10-2020, 09:30 AM

Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default Forehand wobble, flutter

Greetings

Working on my forehand technique currently and having a hard time losing the flutter / wobble that is coming immediately on release.

Not sure where to start, I tried a few things like watching for wrist roll over which helped straighten the flight path (less anhyzer, LHFH) but the flutter must be coming from somewhere else.

Anyone have resources or tips that helped them with their forehand throws ?

Any help appreciated as always

cv
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2020, 10:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,408 Times in 2,676 Posts

I often see this in players that tip over the plant leg with the rear foot stuck back, instead of shifting forward.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:36 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 259 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by centervolume View Post
Greetings

Working on my forehand technique currently and having a hard time losing the flutter / wobble that is coming immediately on release.

Not sure where to start, I tried a few things like watching for wrist roll over which helped straighten the flight path (less anhyzer, LHFH) but the flutter must be coming from somewhere else.

Anyone have resources or tips that helped them with their forehand throws ?

Any help appreciated as always

cv
The piece of advice in a Scott Stokely video that helped me was, "Don't follow through".

Now he heavily caveats that, but flutter/wobble on the FH frequently indicates that the disc is moving too fast for the amount of spin it has. The solution for this problem is too make sure you actively snap the wrist while abbreviating your follow through.

Some thoughts that can help make this a reality: Make sure the wrist is moving faster than the arm at release. Snap the throw like snapping a rat-tailed towel. Keep the elbow pinned to your side as you follow through (but the elbow comes away in the back swing).

Once you have a solid forehand, those thoughts are less applicable, but they should start you on the right path to flutter freedom.

All three of his points here are good.

Last edited by Rastnav; 08-10-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:05 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 815 Times in 385 Posts

1. Grip: make sure you have the disc all the way into the space between your thumb and forefinger. Lots of types of grips; try them out and use whatever is comfortable for you, but don't have a gap between your disc and that part of your hand.

2. Spin: need to put more spin on the disc; grip is part of this, but also wrist action.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-10-2020, 03:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,149 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post

...Snap the throw like snapping a rat-tailed towel.
This is what helped me out at first too.

Once I got better at a forehand flick, progressing to a forehand throw was easier.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 45
Niced 690 Times in 336 Posts

Don’t fling the disc forward. Think of it as a top with a string that you are pulling to make it spin smoothly.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:54 PM

Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

Thanks much folks, this will give me something to chew on. The spin speed issue makes sense. I am trying different grips and feel like that issue is getting a little more comfortable at least. I am not clear on looseness v. tightness of grip.

It is my understanding that having a final pivot point at release is an essential part of most of not all throws (I may be wrong). I have seen tutorials that recommend a loose grip at first and then pinching the thumb / forefinger(s) pivot point at the point of release. So I've been fumbling around there, now it seems that may work itself out more or less once I get the wrist snap more involved. This is a roundabout way of asking you all what you think about looseness v firmness and to see if my thinking is 'on the right track'.

In terms of disc types, is it generally best to nail down fundamentals with the putter and then expand out from there? or will my forehand development be better or worse served by other types of disc?

In the same vein (sorry for so many questions in one post), I'm approaching this sport in a progressive fashion so I'm trying to start different aspects in a stripped down way. As a result I'm trying to work from a standing position first so the extra mechanics of the approach don't interfere or can be incorporated later. So Sidewinder, when you say flutter can come from not shifting weight properly (being out over my feet or 'tipped over' -- am I reading that expression right?) does this apply to a standing throw as well??

stay safe and thanks for the help
Old 08-10-2020, 08:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 45
Niced 690 Times in 336 Posts

Grip and wrist loose as disc is spinning clockwise and wrist bending back. Tight once it changes direction and starts spinning counterclockwise. Don’t accelerate until after the change in direction.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,408 Times in 2,676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by centervolume View Post

In the same vein (sorry for so many questions in one post), I'm approaching this sport in a progressive fashion so I'm trying to start different aspects in a stripped down way. As a result I'm trying to work from a standing position first so the extra mechanics of the approach don't interfere or can be incorporated later. So Sidewinder, when you say flutter can come from not shifting weight properly (being out over my feet or 'tipped over' -- am I reading that expression right?) does this apply to a standing throw as well??

stay safe and thanks for the help
Yes. It comes down to creating lag tension / pulled taut like ball on string so there is no slack or scrunching that might easily introduce wobble. Move forward centered inside your posture and arm/disc lag back and then sling shot forward.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:14 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 520 Times in 287 Posts

As mentioned, I think the wobble is basically a lack of spin or snap.

I had (have?) a horrible forehand. It’s gotten better but when I first started throwing forehand everything wobbled out of my hand. Took me quite a bit of practice but now I have a horrible forehand that is free of wobble.

Someday I’ll work on adding distance but for now my forehand is only suitable to short approach shots.