Old 08-18-2020, 03:41 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 259 Times in 148 Posts
Default Secure grip, nose down and shorter fingers

Although my hand overall is on the large side, my fingers are fairly short. As a result, I feel like I struggle to maintain a secure grip while also keeping a nose down release, especially on anything with the wider rim of a fairway driver or distance driver.

I know this is not in any way impossible. I can't imagine that, for example, the women on tour all have outstandingly long fingers. I'm just wondering how this is accomplished.

On a related note, this especially effects any discs that aren't in a grippier plastic. GStar is great. Champion sucks out loud. Same for Z. Opto seems to work fairly well. The variations on Gold line/Fuzion/Tournament seems to be the best for this for me, although GStar is up there. (Side note: I hate the way base plastics feel, and can't stand how fast they beat in either. One good tree hit, etc.)

On that note, is their anything I can do to increase the grippyness of a disc? Perhaps roughing up the inside rim? Or would that cause more issues than it solved?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2020, 05:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 405 Times in 193 Posts

YMMV, but I find I can get a better grip on the wide rims by using a two finger grip. I use a fork grip for slower discs.

Base plastic has a speed limit around 7. Below that, they'll absorb punishment better than you think. I had a DX Roc that absorbed hundreds if not thousands of tree hits and was still reasonably stable. Guarantee I'd still be throwing it if I didn't lose it. Agree that fast discs with a sharp edge have a very short lifespan in base plastic.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-18-2020, 05:45 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 372 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
Although my hand overall is on the large side, my fingers are fairly short. As a result, I feel like I struggle to maintain a secure grip while also keeping a nose down release, especially on anything with the wider rim of a fairway driver or distance driver.
Let me say that hand size is absolutely something that separates athletes. Having large hands is an essential physical attribute, and along with wingspan to height ratio is the most important physical feature of a great disc golfer. McBeth would not be the player he is without his insanely large hands and long wingspan.

That being said, if you are having a problem hanging on to the disc, the problem is not your fingers but how you are loading your throw. You are going to fast.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-18-2020, 07:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 65
Niced 777 Times in 364 Posts

Thumb position is important for a secure grip. Too close to the rim and the disc slips out.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-18-2020, 09:07 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
That being said, if you are having a problem hanging on to the disc, the problem is not your fingers but how you are loading your throw. You are going to fast.
The problem is feeling like I have control of the flight plate to keep it nose down without death gripping it.

Maybe I just need to hold it loose, then let the grip tighten on its own.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:09 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
YMMV, but I find I can get a better grip on the wide rims by using a two finger grip. I use a fork grip for slower discs.
That would seem like it would make the problem worse in my case. In order to let it be nose down, I already barely have the pad of the pointer finger in the rim, in sort of a trigger position.

I went from a two finger grip to a three finger one as I was getting the disc to nose down for just that reason.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:54 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
The problem is feeling like I have control of the flight plate to keep it nose down without death gripping it.

Maybe I just need to hold it loose, then let the grip tighten on its own.
Not loose, not tight, just secure.

When you grip the disc, it usually looks like the nose is up. But I challenge you to throw the edge opposite your hand, which is most likely neutral or nose down. The more your disc pivots around your last joint the more nose down you will throw.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:01 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Not loose, not tight, just secure.

When you grip the disc, it usually looks like the nose is up. But I challenge you to throw the edge opposite your hand, which is most likely neutral or nose down. The more your disc pivots around your last joint the more nose down you will throw.
I'm a little confused here.

You seem to be saying that it's hard to throw nose up, but ... that seems to be one of the most common mistakes? Can you provide a little more detail?
Old 08-19-2020, 05:54 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
I'm a little confused here.

You seem to be saying that it's hard to throw nose up, but ... that seems to be one of the most common mistakes? Can you provide a little more detail?
I definitely didn't mean to imply it was easy. Just saying that your grip is not necessarily the issue, and I would suspect your are not getting rotation of the last pivot point in your throw.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:27 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,343 Times in 666 Posts

I won't be too helpful, but feel I should chime in. I'm what, 5'7ish 140 soaking wet? Not a large man. Hell, I can't grow a beard if my life depended on it. Point being, I doubt your hands are much smaller (if at all) than mine. Have you measured bottom of palm to top of middle finger like glove sizing asks you to? Distance between your first index knuckle to pinky knuckle?

Cannon (2.5cm rim width) is my maxD driver and I can handle that. I do NOT power grip mids and putters...feels goofy to me. Fork? grip for those - index and pinky pressed against the inside rim while my middle and ring fingers are extended out onto the flight plate. Do you power grip putters or mids comfortably?

Please excuse the fingernails: