Old 11-13-2020, 02:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 645 Times in 424 Posts
Default Speed 9s

hey all,

Can anyone tell me whether the Valkyrie is any more shallow in rim depth than that Sidewinder or Roadrunner? What about vs the Thundie or FB? What about the CD2? Or are all those Innova-molded 9 speeds the same depth?

I'm asking because I'm about to get rid of some sidewinders but am not sure how I'm going to go about selecting something to pair with stable thunderbirds. Want something appreciably understable, probably innova molded, same rim width and depth as thundies. Main problem with sidewinders is that I might as well just throw FDs, and do.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2020, 02:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 528 Times in 276 Posts

Valkyrie is deeper than the Roadrunner. By just eyeballing it, it looks like it's about 1mm deeper than the Firebird as well
Old 11-13-2020, 03:08 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 36.1
Courses Played: 56
Niced 122 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
hey all,

Can anyone tell me whether the Valkyrie is any more shallow in rim depth than that Sidewinder or Roadrunner? What about vs the Thundie or FB? What about the CD2? Or are all those Innova-molded 9 speeds the same depth?

I'm asking because I'm about to get rid of some sidewinders but am not sure how I'm going to go about selecting something to pair with stable thunderbirds. Want something appreciably understable, probably innova molded, same rim width and depth as thundies. Main problem with sidewinders is that I might as well just throw FDs, and do.
Valk is very similar to the Sidewinder depth/feel. I bag FB, Thunderbird & Sidewinder and have bagged Valks in the past too. Not saying they all feel identical but they are similar feeling to me. I've thrown Roadrunners too and I've had flat and domey ones and the flat ones did feel shallower to me (kinda like how a Tern feels shallower than other high speed drivers) . . . but it could have just been those particular discs.

You can find Valks that will turn (lightweight or beat-up) but comparing apples to apples they turn less than a Sidewinder. Mine were mostly those S-shaped flyers except for a Star one that was really stable when new. If you want "understable" like a S-flight than Valks are good. If you want "understable" like turnover shots, it won't turn like a Sidewinder imo.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:29 PM
Size Queen

Niced 236 Times in 156 Posts

Sidewinders are too stable? Then go with RR's. They feel very close to me in rim depth.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Really I have had this structure in my bag for a while after picking up FDs:

long fairway: stable thundie // FD // underworld or beat up FD

shorter fairway: teebird or RRage // FD // underworld or beat up FD

essentially, the FD is so happy to be powered down or up that it covers tons of fairway shots on its own. It keeps up with the distance of any actual longer speed 9 fairway for me, to the extent where I just need to pair it with more stable options which typically are not as happy being powered up or down. Note that I know a teebird can handle 110% of my power and fly 500' if I have the arm, it's just that it's often appropriate to be able to disc up in the wind etc.

To actually outdo the FD on distance, I have to jump up to a distance driver (tern or thrasher) or pair my premium plastic thundies with DX thundies for the extra glide (which I quite like). Or alternatively find a replacement for the DX thundies, which I think might be tough if I want to go with Innova molded speed 9s - they just don't seem to keep up when it comes to EZ mode glide.

I am on the fence as to whether or not to seek an actual fairway to slot in between my FDs and distance drivers, as I have mentioned a sidewinder just really does not go appreciably farther than an FD to make sacrificing the control worth it. If I was throwing leopards I'd be much more likely to cram sidewinders or valks in.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 187
Niced 1,721 Times in 666 Posts

Quote:
Rim Depth - Disc
1.2 - Valkyrie
1.2 - Sidewinder
1.2 - Roadrunner
1.2 - Firebird
1.1 - Thunderbird
1.1 - CD2

Source: PDGA Approved Golf Discs (clicky)

Old 11-13-2020, 04:44 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Really I have had this structure in my bag for a while after picking up FDs:

long fairway: stable thundie // FD // underworld or beat up FD

shorter fairway: teebird or RRage // FD // underworld or beat up FD

essentially, the FD is so happy to be powered down or up that it covers tons of fairway shots on its own. It keeps up with the distance of any actual longer speed 9 fairway for me, to the extent where I just need to pair it with more stable options which typically are not as happy being powered up or down. Note that I know a teebird can handle 110% of my power and fly 500' if I have the arm, it's just that it's often appropriate to be able to disc up in the wind etc.

To actually outdo the FD on distance, I have to jump up to a distance driver (tern or thrasher) or pair my premium plastic thundies with DX thundies for the extra glide (which I quite like). Or alternatively find a replacement for the DX thundies, which I think might be tough if I want to go with Innova molded speed 9s - they just don't seem to keep up when it comes to EZ mode glide.

I am on the fence as to whether or not to seek an actual fairway to slot in between my FDs and distance drivers, as I have mentioned a sidewinder just really does not go appreciably farther than an FD to make sacrificing the control worth it. If I was throwing leopards I'd be much more likely to cram sidewinders or valks in.
So you want a longer FD? An FD really could be considered speed 9 almost. It has a 1.8 rim width same as a SW or RR.

https://www.pdga.com/technical-stand...fairway-driver

You really would have to go into a 2.0-2.1 rim width to get a significant bump I think. Then you might be crowing in on your distance drivers. Wraith, Orc, CD3.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Yeah but guys, those tech specs for the most part are not to be trusted. Anecdotally speaking the number of discs I've actually measured or compared with my own hands that have matched the tech specs is pretty thin. The worst part is that they specifically are not very consistent, with some discs listed as the same measurement not matching when compared.

Hatchet and underworld are both listed as 1.9cm rim width... nope. More in line with a teebird or FD.

Tern is listed as 2.3 cm rim, wraith as 2.1... compare the two and you'll find they share the same rim width measurement.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:47 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Yeah but guys, those tech specs for the most part are not to be trusted. Anecdotally speaking the number of discs I've actually measured or compared with my own hands that have matched the tech specs is pretty thin. The worst part is that they specifically are not very consistent, with some discs listed as the same measurement not matching when compared.

Hatchet and underworld are both listed as 1.9cm rim width... nope. More in line with a teebird or FD.

Tern is listed as 2.3 cm rim, wraith as 2.1... compare the two and you'll find they share the same rim width measurement.
You are correct. I measured both an FD and SW in Champion.

FD- 1.8

SW- 1.95

I imagine the SW was measured in DX back in 2005 which would cause it to shrink more.

Back to your question if a SW isn't giving you more distance then you do need to go up to something faster. I throw SW's and they do encroach towards my DD's already.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:55 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 25
Niced 22 Times in 15 Posts

Firebird, Thunderbird, Valkyrie, Roadrunner...they all feel similar enough. Throw them all.