Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default To Add or Not To Add (to course directory)?

Here's the scenario:

We found out that there are 2 dg courses in county parks just south of us. Of course that meant we had to go play them, so we hit Newaygo State Park, the other 2 courses, and Northend Riverside all in the same day. My dilemma occurs because the 2 county park courses were 9 hole pole courses with no tee areas, unmarked in any way except for hole number a the top of the pole, and even the park personnel just kinda went ummmmm, uhhhhh...., when we asked questions about the courses. We played 6 of the 9 on the first course then couldn't even find the rest of the course. At the other course, we saw that it circled the main open space in the park, went through the playground and horseshoe pits, across the main in-out road and service drive, and had you throwing at camp sites in several places. We just drove through and said, ummmm no.

The courses definitely felt like they were just thrown together to give the campers a reason to throw Frisbees and I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone go play either of them (even if you were already camping there!). So, do I bother adding the courses to the directory, only to give them a .5 or 0 rating?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2009, 10:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,205 Times in 1,255 Posts

add them- they're public parks- you could potentially help someone else from repeating your experience.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

i would say yes. add them, write a review and then draw a course map and attach it as well.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:54 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 355
Niced 1,021 Times in 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
add them- they're public parks- you could potentially help someone else from repeating your experience.
Although by not adding them it guarantees nobody would repeat the experience

For the sake of completeness, I would say add them. Although I'd also be sure to add a review warning people that they're really crappy courses. If you could draw up a map of some sort that would be cool too just in case we have any masochists on the site.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post

For the sake of completeness, I would say add them. Although I'd also be sure to add a review warning people that they're really crappy courses. If you could draw up a map of some sort that would be cool too just in case we have any masochists on the site.
what is a masochist?
if she doesnt add them and say how bad they suck then someone will probably be excited about the course that they find on vacation and then possibly take out an unsuspecting camper.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 88
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post

LOL!

Actually both of them had scorecards/maps, sorta. I guess I'll add them and scan the maps in, too.

Thanks for the advice.

A masochist is someone who enjoys pain. Officially:
mas·och·ism (mās'ə-kĭz'əm)
n.

1. The deriving of sexual gratification, or the tendency to derive sexual gratification, from being physically or emotionally abused.
2. The deriving of pleasure, or the tendency to derive pleasure, from being humiliated or mistreated, either by another or by oneself.
3. A willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences.

Last edited by volklgirl; 05-31-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by volklgirl View Post
LOL!

Actually both of them had scorecards/maps, sorta. I guess I'll add them and scan the maps in, too.

Thanks for the advice.

A masochist is someone who enjoys pain. Officially:
mas·och·ism (mās'ə-kĭz'əm)
n.

1. The deriving of sexual gratification, or the tendency to derive sexual gratification, from being physically or emotionally abused.
2. The deriving of pleasure, or the tendency to derive pleasure, from being humiliated or mistreated, either by another or by oneself.
3. A willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences.
oh so those people that need to be choked to orgasism. wierd! glad im not one of them
Old 06-01-2009, 04:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 260
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

on the "Add 'em with poor ratings/reviews" thought.

If you didn't add 'em other players might hear about them through the grapevine or PDGA directory some day and end up with the same bad experience.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 23
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

You have an excellent opportunity to "design" your own course. Not necessarily basket placement, but you have to chance to mark tee pads and use what is available to design each hole, i.e. use of land, obstacles, and scenery. I know you said you found a map, but if this is not ever played, take it, own, make it something really good.

I would Love to walk out and find 9 random baskets planted somewhere.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 285
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 17 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyflash View Post
You have an excellent opportunity to "design" your own course. Not necessarily basket placement, but you have to chance to mark tee pads and use what is available to design each hole, i.e. use of land, obstacles, and scenery. I know you said you found a map, but if this is not ever played, take it, own, make it something really good.

I would Love to walk out and find 9 random baskets planted somewhere.
Well said. If there are nine baskets in the ground, find a way to use them. Worst case, practice putts. Best case, make a sick nine-hole safari. And if you do create a decent course, since there are no teepads, pitch it to the parks department there. Tell them you have safety concerns about the existing courses but you're a long time disc golfer and have found a way to play that reduces the safety risk -- or could reduce it if they would move one or two baskets. Then help develop signage and mark some tees... could be a great opportunity if it's nearby.