Old 10-22-2020, 01:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 478
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,421 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Something that would temporarily allow some additional courses in the top 10 and top 25 would be temporarily excluding courses that would normally be in the top 25 that are currently unplayable in their rated version (good weather, full foliage) for some reason, typically winter, even if still open for winter play when not snowed in. Other reasons for temporary exclusion might be during redesign like Blueberry currently or like Harmony which was partly flooded for several weeks.
i was just showing goosefraba1 what it looked like via his comment. Im not proposing any changes to the main list.

I would however like to see a separate course ranking list of the top 10/25, using just TR reviews. similar to how there is a list of "top private" and "top pay to play" etc. lists.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)

Last edited by wellsbranch250; 10-22-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 73
Niced 80 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
i was just showing goosefraba1 what it looked like via his comment. Im not proposing any changes to the main list.

I would however like to see a separate course ranking list of the top 10/25, using just TR reviews. similar to how there is a list of "top private" and "top pay to play" etc. lists.
Thank you! I was just doing the math by hand of current top 10 only by TR:

Harmony Bends 4.89 (N=22) (all reviews= 4.84)
Flip 4.86 (N= 62) (all reviews= 4.84)
Idlewild 4.82 (N= 83) (all reviews 4.79)
Selah Lakeside 4.80 (N=22) (all reviews 4.84)
Caliber 4.67 (N= 3) (all reviews 4.81)
Bucksnort 4.64 (N= 14) (all reviews 4.76)
Harmon Hills 4.64 (N= 34) (all reviews 4.74)
Selah Creekside 4.57 (N= 23) (all reviews 4.73)
Jarva 4.5 (N= 2) (all reviews 4.85)

What does this tell us? I'm no statistician, but right off the bat Jarva is way overrated (granted only 2 TR reviews to go from).

Harmony Bends, Flip, Idlewild, and Selah Lakeside are actually the ones deserving (I think) of their current review rating. They are also worthy of their top 10 rating.

I'm sure these are all great courses. I've been to Flip, Idlewild, and Harmon Hills. Harmon is the only one that I've been to of the 3 that didn't feel like a top 10 course.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 397
Niced 574 Times in 211 Posts

There's a new one for Flip City.

Don't worry. He also gave Harmon Hills a 3.0. And he gave a 1000-foot, 9-hole, pitch-n-putt course a 2.5.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-28-2020, 11:50 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 62
Niced 189 Times in 107 Posts

Maybe this has been discussed, but has any thought ever been given to weighting the reviewers based upon courses played and/or # courses rated and/or help/not help counts of their actual reviews?

For example, someone with 4 courses played and 2 rated with mostly 'not help' reviews would have a quite low weighting.
Someone playing 1000+ courses and rating hundreds with many more helps than not helps would get a high weighting.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 526
Niced 1,935 Times in 903 Posts

I just saw that review. Complete and utter nonsense.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:06 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 1145
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 113 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig View Post
There's a new one for Flip City.

Don't worry. He also gave Harmon Hills a 3.0. And he gave a 1000-foot, 9-hole, pitch-n-putt course a 2.5.
For what it's worth, I don't disagree with the reviewers take:

"Best thing about the course is the fact that its been around so long and that it's rated so high. The next best thing is the stacked up rocks. There is also some cool amenities and sites like the basket mowed into the grass. The place just has a cool vibe to it. Unfortunately none of that is the actual golf."

I've played nearly 1,100 courses and Flip City is quite possibly the most overrated I've ever played. The golf is just... okay. Every time people go nuts about somebody not giving it a 5, I just laugh to myself. The truth is, no one should give it a 5. It's just a very nice property with a pretty good disc golf course and some very cool things to look at it-- nothing more, nothing less. With that said, a 3.0 is probably too low, especially given the fact that true average on this site is probably closer to 3.25 or so than 2.5. I think 3.5-4.5 is the range that Flip City should be rated.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,925 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinbuttree View Post
Maybe this has been discussed, but has any thought ever been given to weighting the reviewers based upon courses played and/or # courses rated and/or help/not help counts of their actual reviews?

For example, someone with 4 courses played and 2 rated with mostly 'not help' reviews would have a quite low weighting.
Someone playing 1000+ courses and rating hundreds with many more helps than not helps would get a high weighting.
it's been discussed many, many times. Any weighting would add a layer of subjectivity, with negligible effects on the results, and just lead to endless arguments as to how the weighting should be changed to this or that.

The recent Flip City rating reduces the overall rating by about 0.15%.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 397
Niced 574 Times in 211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox3 View Post
For what it's worth, I don't disagree with the reviewers take:

"Best thing about the course is the fact that its been around so long and that it's rated so high. The next best thing is the stacked up rocks. There is also some cool amenities and sites like the basket mowed into the grass. The place just has a cool vibe to it. Unfortunately none of that is the actual golf."

I've played nearly 1,100 courses and Flip City is quite possibly the most overrated I've ever played. The golf is just... okay. Every time people go nuts about somebody not giving it a 5, I just laugh to myself. The truth is, no one should give it a 5. It's just a very nice property with a pretty good disc golf course and some very cool things to look at it-- nothing more, nothing less. With that said, a 3.0 is probably too low, especially given the fact that true average on this site is probably closer to 3.25 or so than 2.5. I think 3.5-4.5 is the range that Flip City should be rated.
Sounds like you’re offering to write a review.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:28 AM
* Ace No More *

Courses Played: 340
Niced 4,971 Times in 2,140 Posts

Flip is a definitely a course that people don't always agree on. It connects with most players on a level that very few courses do. It's about chill and vibe. It's dripping with elevation without killing you to get through it. Spectacular in summer and absolutely stunning in autumn.

But it simply doesn't click with everyone on the same level.

I also think it has a lot to do with one's preconceived expectations going in, and what you imagine after reading reviews. As Flyboy's review indicates, it's actually pretty low key rather than flashy.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 250
Niced 5,108 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinbuttree View Post

Yep, often. Every time somebody thinks a certain review, does not agree with their opinion. Usually a popular, highly ranked course and someone prickles, thinking their opinion is more important or right, than the review in question. We all have different things that make a course great. That is the beauty of this review process. I have said many times ranking are pointless. If you want to leverage the power of this site, the actual review portions hold the key.

For what it is worth, I don't think the actual golf at Flip is all that challenging.