Old 10-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 96
Niced 39 Times in 32 Posts
Default Ferretdance03's bag

It's funny how things cycle for me. I'll go for months throwing a disc or mold, and one trip to the "basement of discs" and I inadvertently pick something up and think, "I like the way this feels, why'd I stop throwing it?' So it gets swapped. For whatever reason my OCD keeps me somewhat adherent to mold minimalism. Somewhat- it's a little moldy right now.

So here it is right now.
Yeti Aviar x 4 purple are putters, white and red are throwers. I loved the way the Yeti felt when it came out but felt they were too soft. Recently I decided they weren't, and they've been making their rounds. So far so good.
Z Wasp / X Wasp / Z Buzzz / ESP Comet / X Comet Overstable to understable midranges. Was recently throwing a few more Buzzes in place of the Wasps, and before that a myriad of Rocs, a Ghost, Axis, Vectors, etc. Ehhh, I like throwing midranges, and I like a handful of midrange molds. If someone gave me free ones I guess I'd commit. Until then they cycle.
S TD / P PD / P PD / S PD / S PD Understable to overstable drivers. TD is a great disc, I like it for smooth hyzer flips and gradual turns. Easy to put out there a ways too. Thrashed PD is good for powered down shots, tailwinds and hyzer flips that finish anhyzer. Fresh PPD is wearing in, good for longer distances and hyzer flips that finish hyzer. Worn SPD is my workhorse, straight for days. Fresh SPD is between the worn PD and the FB. Flicks and hyzer shots.
Glow Firebird beef
beat ESP Force / fresher ESP Force Long distance shots, flicks, low lines, reliable headwind distance. Could probably drop them but I have room for now.
DX Sonic / Zephyr Approaches and warm ups. Sonic is for outside jump putt range but short of a Yeti throw. And I love throwing turnover flick approaches with it. I could do without the Zephyr, but it's so much fun to throw.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2012, 10:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Looks solid but I have two suggestions.

First, I'd drop the X Wasp since it's OOP and start beating in the Z Wasp. Secondly, in the name of mold consolidation, I would replace the Firebird with a CPD.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Solid Advice.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Eagle Member

The X Wasp is one of those nostalgia discs for me- likely not a long term player but I like throwing it. And I have enough backups that I'd be good if I decide it's staying for a while. It won't though.

I tried the CPD for a while. A long while. It just isn't what I want for that slot in my bag. It's only a little bit more overstable than the fresh SPD, which doesn't lend itself to what I use it for.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 80 Times in 48 Posts

I like the bag. I feel you with the X Wasp, it is a magical disc. I would definitely agree agree with you about the FB vs the CPD. One thing i would recommend is an overstable utility putter-mid like a zone, rhyno, pig, etc. it will just do things the wasp and yeti cant do.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw80550 View Post
...One thing i would recommend is an overstable utility putter-mid like a zone, rhyno, pig, etc. it will just do things the wasp and yeti cant do.
I love the Zone. I have one I dyed that I carry from time to time. It's one of those discs that I only throw maybe once a round if it's in the bag, and I decide it's just taking up extra space. Then I play a round with Erik Smith who absolutely commands a Zone, and decide I should put it back in the bag. And so the cycle goes...
Old 10-28-2012, 01:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 80 Times in 48 Posts

That's kind of the way it is with me and my zone, but those one or two shots around where I need it, I really need it. Therefore it's worth taking up space.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 71
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

have you tried a pro d zone? i've got one that sees a lot of duty in the winter time/windy conditions for upshots. you can lay up pretty easy on longer putts but still take a run at it with a flex line. and it's pretty much impervious to the wind if thrown decently. also nice because the pro d plastic sticks like glue on the ground.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Eagle Member

I've only thrown the ESP Zone, never the D.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Eagle Member

Default New Year, (mostly) same old bag

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: working on 9yrs, been throwing a 'bee of some sort all my life. Beach Frisbess, Ultimate for a bit, then golf.
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some RHFH, OH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Aviar: 225/310'; Buzzz: 300/340'; PD: 360/425'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Recent pinched nerve in my lower back. Almost completely healed, been taking it easy for a couple months. Luckily the weather has been crappy anyway.
Other sport proficiencies?: Lacrosse, soccer, wrestling, golf, baseball, basketball, Ultimate
Immediate and long-term goals: More consistent putting practice in the short-term, and gain some additional distance in the long-term. No more back injuries and just being able to keep playing are the real goals

Towels, minis, rule book, emergency powder, emery board, dirt balls, basket keys, pencils, markers, etc, etc.

Bag:
Left to right, top to bottom
Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
172 C PD, used: Overstable control, FH, headwind distance, "Firebird-lite"
175 S PD, fresh: flex distance, Overstable control, distance FH
173 S PD, seasoned: straight workhorse driver, hyzerflip to straight
174 S PD, worn: hyzerflip to slight anny finish
174 P PD, worn: distance, hyzer flip to anny finish, low line drives
174 P PD, thrashed: utility, rollers, sky anny, hyzer flip to roll, quick turns

Mids:
177 Z Buzzz, fresh: straight to overstable
177 Z Buzzz, seasoned: straight workhorse
177 ESP Buzzz, beat: hyzer flip, straight, midrange rollers
180 X Comet, thrashed: quick turns, long approaches

Utility:
172 Champ Firebird, worn: domey, headwind utility, thumbers, FH
175 Champ Firebird, used: FAF, chip shots, thumbers

195 DX Zephyr, used: floaty approach, dead straight upshots. Warm up/catch
174 DX Sonic, used: outside jump putt range runs. Warm up/catch
175 ESP Zone, used: short FH approaches, headwind appoaches

Putters:
173 Yeti Aviar, worn: straight to anny approaches/drives
172 KC Aviar, worn: straight to hyzer approaches/drives
174 Yeti Aviar, worn: putts, jump putts
174 KC Aviar, worn: circle putts
174 Yeti Aviar, worn: circle putts
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a little bit of a fan of the PD. I also cycle and like having backups. I also like have a disc or two that I can use for similar shots, and try to have multiple seasoned workhorse discs if possible.

I like to throw a lot of putters, and I have room, so I carry a bunch. I also hold a putter in my off hand when I putt, so I always have at least one "extra."

The Zephyr, Sonic and Zone are all situation discs. I could likely do without either the Zephyr or Sonic, but again I have room. Plus they're a lot of fun to throw.

Occasionally I'll add a Force or two for longer courses on windy days, but typically my array of PD's can cover all those shots. Roadrunner/TD also make a guest appearance for certain courses with a lot of RHBH anny holes, but not often. I was carrying a Z Wasp for a while, but between the fresh Buzzz, Zone and powered down PD/FB it never got thrown.

I've been throwing these molds for a while. I'll likely try out some other stuff throughout the year just for kicks, but I'm planning on keeping this set up.