Old 03-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 136 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Too bad like 90% of the time, he's covering a card nobody cares about except Prodigy fanboys.
I'm not a "Prodigy fanboy" by any means, but I do like to see some players that don't normally get any air time because they don't make it to the lead card. But it isn't good when the lead card doesn't get covered for post produced video by anyone, as I think happened last year at least once during a DGPT event.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2017, 10:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,502 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldeyeGolf View Post
I'm not a "Prodigy fanboy" by any means, but I do like to see some players that don't normally get any air time because they don't make it to the lead card. But it isn't good when the lead card doesn't get covered for post produced video by anyone, as I think happened last year at least once during a DGPT event.
Fair enough, Marty just has such a great talent and Prodigy just wastes him.

Niced: (3)
Old 03-03-2017, 10:38 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 103
Niced 83 Times in 38 Posts

Marty's coverage is so good it makes up for the lack of big names sometimes. Him becoming sponsored was a loss for those who liked usually seeing the lead card or those who enjoyed a lot of the local NC golf, but it was a huge gain for him. I do like watching Will despite his putting troubles so that's a big plus. Props to him for getting high quality work out so quickly. Somebody's gotta be the underdog.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 80
Niced 267 Times in 102 Posts

I liked watching Marty's coverage from yesterday because I tell myself that pros never miss 20' putts like I do, and then I watch 36 minutes of footage like that and it makes me feel better...

Old 03-03-2017, 11:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 115
Niced 295 Times in 144 Posts

C. Allen with a turkey to start the round today.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 77
Niced 20 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
I absolutely agree with everything you said. Mach Vs are great baskets. I don't like the "ramp" at the top, but don't miss and your disc doesn't ramp off.

However, the issue is when you take a stand against something and then break it that I have an issue with.

The idea behind this was our pros only like certain types of baskets. Agreed - ridiculous that only four made the cut. How in the world something like a Mach V or a Discatcher that isn't a 28 doesn't make the cut is just silly. I Get why a sport or Mach III doesn't make the cut.

So they polled players and by their own rules said that 75% of them had to approve baskets and they get these four and say these are the only four that will be used.

And then they break their own standard.

To me, the issue isn't nearly as much about why it was broken it's the method that broke it. Steve is pushing the envelope and trying to build a model for what he thinks professional disc golf should be. Doing things his own way and releasing his own tour standards are completely fine. But it does look bad when they are broken after that stance was taken.

If the PDGA said they would only allow certain things like cement tees or only courses with an SSA above 54 for NT's and then broke it, people would lose their minds and talk about how the PDGA is holding the sport back. While those standards would be ridiculous, I would expect them to be followed.

There is a reason the PDGA doesn't have a lot of the standards in place that people want to see and feel should be slam dunk obvious. And this exact scenario playing out at the Memorial is why; there is just too many variables.
Please tell me if I'm misunderstanding your point... You're unhappy with the DGPT for breaking their promise, but you're happy with the method with which they broke their promise? That sounds an awful lot like splitting hairs, doesn't it?

If we're just searching for a reason to complain, it sounds like we've found it. If there's truly an injustice at work here, help me see what it is. And not with the cliche "What happens next time when...." There is not a precedent being set if viewed by itself this *issue* does not negatively affect the tour or its players.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.7
Courses Played: 142
Niced 1,030 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsw_03 View Post
Please tell me if I'm misunderstanding your point... You're unhappy with the DGPT for breaking their promise, but you're happy with the method with which they broke their promise? That sounds an awful lot like splitting hairs, doesn't it?

If we're just searching for a reason to complain, it sounds like we've found it. If there's truly an injustice at work here, help me see what it is. And not with the cliche "What happens next time when...." There is not a precedent being set if viewed by itself this *issue* does not negatively affect the tour or its players.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for allowing me to clarify.

In a short summary, this is not about a reason to complain. If you announce a standard in the way he did - basically our pros only like certain baskets and these are the ones and we will use these because this is a professional tour - and then break it, you are setting yourself up for scrutiny.

If the announcement was "our pros only want these four baskets. This year, we will do everything we can to make sure each round has these. I'm happy to say that currently only 1 (or whatever number seems accurate) course will have them - this is a great step towards the standardization of equipment our sport needs" then not a word is said.

The announcement was "our pros only want these four baskets. This year, you will only see these four in competition" and then it's not followed, much bigger issue.

That's the difference, IMHO.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 25 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldeyeGolf View Post
When I first read about the basket standards thing, I thought it an unnecessarily confining rule at this point. I think Steve gets ahead of himself sometimes with his enthusiasm to move his project forward in the direction he imagines, and needs to slow down some times. This seems like a very minor issue in the big picture, and I hope people don't try to make more out of it than it deserves.
When I was a kid we putted at Street Signs IN THE DARK UP HILL with RUSTY PIE TINS and BAREFOOT. We couldn't see what we were putting at. Got tired. Got tetanus. And had cuts on are feet. ��
Old 03-03-2017, 02:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Hyzer Lines View Post
I can't help but wonder where Nikko would finish if he didn't consistently miss 3-4 putts low per round and have crazy bad luck or a really bad hole at what seems like every event. Of the players I watch in person or on video his luck runs on the bad side the most.

I am impressed that Feldberg isn't showing a lot of rust. He and I are of similar age and when I took time off from injury I felt like the game passed me by while out. The young players keep getting younger. Props to Dave.
That tells me it's not bad luck. Luck is random. The fact that the same thing happens over and over to Nikko suggests he's making it happen. His spit outs are consistent. They happen every tournament. That suggests his style or delivery leads to spit outs. Same with throws that go awry. If the other players discs don't skip out, maybe their disc selection is different? Indeed, Terry talk some about this in yesterday's broadcast. Not pertains to Nikko, just as a general topic.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 777 Times in 421 Posts

No mens round 2 edited anywhere? Well yes the Marty one but dont feel like watching that only for Seppo.