Old 06-16-2017, 08:41 AM
Par Member

Niced 99 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siiimmons View Post
This is...
Sounds like you're in the medical field and have a problem with the practice in general. Maybe you've had a bad experience in the past, or seen someone taking advantage of their patients? That doesn't mean EVERY Chiropractor is like that though. This guy has come across as wanting to help people and you've come across as nothing but condescending and cynical.

IMO. They help make you feel better. Do they solve the problem? I'm with you, probably not. Neither do countless amounts of prescription drugs issued by medical doctors in droves every single day. I'd rather go with the physical manipulation than pills though, if they have the same effect of treating a symptom (neither should be in replacement of addressing the pathology, as you've stated).

I just don't get the hate.
Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 77
Niced 20 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealgoat View Post
Sounds like you're in the medical field and have a problem with the practice in general. Maybe you've had a bad experience in the past, or seen someone taking advantage of their patients? That doesn't mean EVERY Chiropractor is like that though. This guy has come across as wanting to help people and you've come across as nothing but condescending and cynical.

IMO. They help make you feel better. Do they solve the problem? I'm with you, probably not. Neither do countless amounts of prescription drugs issued by medical doctors in droves every single day. I'd rather go with the physical manipulation than pills though, if they have the same effect of treating a symptom (neither should be in replacement of addressing the pathology, as you've stated).

I just don't get the hate.
If I may speak for the others, who have surprisingly valid points, I believe the skepticism revolves around a few things: chiropractors introduce themselves as doctors first and chiropractors second, their practices are rarely evidence-based and typically include treatment of conditions that will never respond to manipulation, and their primary focus is signing patients up for dozens of clinic visits with little to no regard for improvement with ongoing care. It's smoke and mirrors with a huge medical bill at the end of the show. In a nutshell, everything we've heard from this guy in a mere 3 pages. The difference between chiropractic and massage is that massage therapists aren't going to convince you to see them 3-4 times per week for 8 weeks at $65 a session.

In defense of the OP, chiropractors are trained to think and act this way. I've worked with several who went back to school to become MDs and NPs after years of chiropractic practice, and they all said the same thing - it seemed reasonable at the time.

Niced: (3)

Last edited by gsw_03; 06-16-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,000 Times in 531 Posts

I really don't understand all the hate for chiropractors. How in the world are they so polarizing?

Niced: (1)
Old 06-16-2017, 11:00 AM
Finders Keepers Anonymous Pond Diver

Courses Played: 8
Niced 31 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
I really don't understand all the hate for chiropractors. How in the world are they so polarizing?
Read post above yours. Says everything you need to know.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 77
Niced 20 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
They're the social media of the medical field - some folks take it at face value and immerse themselves, while others see it for what it really is: distraction.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsw_03 View Post
If I may speak for the others, who have surprisingly valid points, I believe the skepticism revolves around a few things: chiropractors introduce themselves as doctors first and chiropractors second, their practices are rarely evidence-based and typically include treatment of conditions that will never respond to manipulation, and their primary focus is signing patients up for dozens of clinic visits with little to no regard for improvement with ongoing care. It's smoke and mirrors with a huge medical bill at the end of the show. In a nutshell, everything we've heard from this guy in a mere 3 pages. The difference between chiropractic and massage is that massage therapists aren't going to convince you to see them 3-4 times per week for 8 weeks at $65 a session.

In defense of the OP, chiropractors are trained to think and act this way. I've worked with several who went back to school to become MDs and NPs after years of chiropractic practice, and they all said the same thing - it seemed reasonable at the time.
I would also like to add generally chiropractors treat symptoms and NOT causes
Old 06-16-2017, 11:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,000 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbeezy1 View Post
Read post above yours. Says everything you need to know.
Anyone who thinks legit MDs and hospitals are not also out to make a buck is fooling themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbeezy1 View Post
I would also like to add generally chiropractors treat symptoms and NOT causes
As far as treating pain is concerned, real doctors just treat the symptoms too.

"Doc, I have back pain"
"Oh, here's some OxyContin"

Wow, definitely treating the cause of the pain there.

But for reals, if you hate on chiropractors that's cool, but no need to crap on this guy. He's a chiropractor that sponsors a pro disc golfer. He wanted to make some free videos to help people stretch and stuff and answer questions and everyone jumps on him like he's here to convince you that you need a chiropractor. Isn't possible that he's just a nice guy that wanted to help the DG community?

Last edited by roggenb3; 06-16-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Anyone who thinks legit MDs and hospitals are not also out to make a buck is fooling themselves.

As far as treating pain is concerned, real doctors just treat the symptoms too.

"Doc, I have back pain"
"Oh, here's some OxyContin"

Wow, definitely treating the cause of the pain there.
Wrong! Doctors can do surgeries, procedures, and can prescribe medicines that treat causes. Some medicines treat symptoms yes, but other medicines treat causes as well.

But for reals, if you hate on chiropractors that's cool, but no need to crap on this guy. He's a chiropractor that sponsors a pro disc golfer. He wanted to make some free videos to help people stretch and stuff and answer questions and everyone jumps on him like he's here to convince you that you need a chiropractor. Isn't possible that he's just a nice guy that wanted to help the DG community?
I don't "hate" on chiropractors, I just feel too many patients are uninformed and some chiropractors take advantage of this. Not to mention, they claim to treat things that their is no evidence based research that confirms the treatments they utilize.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:50 AM
Par Member

Niced 99 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsw_03 View Post
If I may speak for the others, who have surprisingly valid points...
I get this, it just turns quickly into bashing, claiming they're ALL out to get you at your own body and wallet's expense (to a degree - obviously, they are trying to make a living).

I'm glad someone brought up massage, because I thought about bringing it up too. I've had injury related and relaxation massages, and I've had chiropractic care. They both make you feel better. If I had extra money laying around (I don't), I'd totally pay to visit one of each every single week. Same idea as spending money on good bedding, you spend a lot of time sleeping, and good sleep translates to several benefits, the least of which are not waking up with a headache and a stiff back.

Can you be led to believe that your chiropractic care is fixing all your ailments, and you need to keep coming back even when unnecessary (all PT does take repetition to actually help anything)? Sure. But that doesn't mean every chiropractor everywhere is malicious.

I've had two experiences with them in the past, and they both went through several stretches and exercises I could work on myself to both strengthen the area in question, and prevent having to come back to them. Neither of them attempted to persuade me into repeated visits because it was something only they could "fix".

Niced: (1)

Old 06-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 83
Niced 12 Times in 7 Posts

Go see a physical therapist over a chiro. Evidence based in all aspects, not just some (apart from modalities and "aligning" pelvises). But a chiro will be more likely to do these waste of time treatments as well.

A PTs goal is to never see you again when you are discharged. That is not the case with all chiros.

Niced: (2)