Old 09-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 167 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcón View Post
How could an event like Worlds not fill?

Many might disagree but IMO, a 750 rated guy playing this event is embarrassing.
I was talking to a touring pro recently and threw out the idea of only allowing players rated 935 or higher to compete in MPO. It allows MA1 rated amateurs to play up a division and challenge themselves without it being detrimental to the other MPO players on the card. I am not in favor of intermediate, recreational and novice rated players playing up 2, 3 and 4 divisions. He liked the idea.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,198 Times in 609 Posts

I was just thinking that he might not be as bad as that rating indicates. He may only have a couple of sucky sanctioned rounds under his belt, but has improved greatly since then. Either way, it's weird for the biggest tournament in our game.

Edit: I agree Glide, but others, like Jay Dub, likely would not. Part of what makes our game weird is that a Rec can play Open with the big boys. All I have to do is pay more and I can potentially be on a card with a touring pro. That's pretty sweet. BUT, I don't like it for Worlds. Keep it for the B and C tiers.

Last edited by Halcón; 09-01-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,187 Times in 462 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldeyeGolf View Post
In that case, I would recommend less dreaming and more practicing.
Yeah, the hell with his full time job and family duties. He needs to get out and practice like a pro, full time.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,965 Times in 1,635 Posts

Quote:
I was just thinking that he might not be as bad as that rating indicates. He may only have a couple of sucky sanctioned rounds under his belt, but has improved greatly since then. Either way, it's weird for the biggest tournament in our game.
No, he's as bad as the rating indicates. Looking at his results, he has never beaten another player in a sanctioned round. His wins are from solo MPO appearances. Anytime he's had even one other competitor, they beat him.

But honestly, I don't see the big deal. Pro Worlds has rarely ever filled, so the notion of a low rated player participating isn't new. The few times it did fill were only in the last few years when it was still combined with the Masters (which was part of why they separated them). If it were a matter of this 750 rated guy playing instead of a 1020 rated player, I could see the argument against allowing him. But they had tiered registration in which everyone invited with a rating over 970 had anywhere from 2-6 weeks to sign up. If there's a 1000 rated player sitting home frustrated that Mr 750 is in, it's his own fault.

And it's not like Mr 750 is going to be gumming things up. He'll be in a separate pool from the contenders and won't get anywhere near a filmed card except as a spectator. He's a donator, no different than any of the other 60-some odd players in the field who are rated under 970.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-01-2018, 01:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
No, he's as bad as the rating indicates. Looking at his results, he has never beaten another player in a sanctioned round. His wins are from solo MPO appearances. Anytime he's had even one other competitor, they beat him.

But honestly, I don't see the big deal. Pro Worlds has rarely ever filled, so the notion of a low rated player participating isn't new. The few times it did fill were only in the last few years when it was still combined with the Masters (which was part of why they separated them). If it were a matter of this 750 rated guy playing instead of a 1020 rated player, I could see the argument against allowing him. But they had tiered registration in which everyone invited with a rating over 970 had anywhere from 2-6 weeks to sign up. If there's a 1000 rated player sitting home frustrated that Mr 750 is in, it's his own fault.

And it's not like Mr 750 is going to be gumming things up. He'll be in a separate pool from the contenders and won't get anywhere near a filmed card except as a spectator. He's a donator, no different than any of the other 60-some odd players in the field who are rated under 970.
Maybe he's the world's most proficient bagger?
Old 09-01-2018, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Yeah, the hell with his full time job and family duties. He needs to get out and practice like a pro, full time.
I wonder how many top level pros have families and or jobs and do a good job at both, despite being good at disc golf?
Old 09-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 167 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:

Edit: I agree Glide, but others, like Jay Dub, likely would not. Part of what makes our game weird is that a Rec can play Open with the big boys. All I have to do is pay more and I can potentially be on a card with a touring pro. That's pretty sweet. BUT, I don't like it for Worlds. Keep it for the B and C tiers.
I'm not opposed to lower rated players competing in open at C and B tiers either.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,965 Times in 1,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
I wonder how many top level pros have families and or jobs and do a good job at both, despite being good at disc golf?
In MPO, I can only think of one such player who has a family, a regular non-disc-golf job, and a Major title in the last 5-10 years...Steve Brinster. Any one else with a major or NT/DGPT level title to his name in recent years has been one who is more or less a full time disc golfer, with or without a family at home.

It may not have been the case 10-15 years ago, but we are definitely fully into the stage of disc golf's growth where to be a top-tier contender at the elite events, you have to be a full time player.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 500 Times in 239 Posts

Just checked out the Nantucket results and Paige P killed it. Averaged over her rating. Hokum not so much. I know that event is more of a vacation than a serious tourney for these folks, but that has to have Pierce feeling good before Worlds given her recent performances.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:33 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 239
Niced 76 Times in 26 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
Just checked out the Nantucket results and Paige P killed it. Averaged over her rating. Hokum not so much. I know that event is more of a vacation than a serious tourney for these folks, but that has to have Pierce feeling good before Worlds given her recent performances.
The course on Nantucket is soooooo different from anything the competitors will play at Smugglers Notch, it’s almost irrelevant...except for the aforementioned confidence boost.

Brewster Ridge is a like miniature version of Maple Hill, which favors Hokom. But PP will crush at Fox Run Meadows. It’s anybody’s game really.