Old 11-27-2018, 02:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 289 Times in 177 Posts

Yea, but a DX FB is a different animal. Especially, if it's been beat.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2018, 05:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 40
Niced 182 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
I'm a noodle arm (~330' max), and I've actually flipped over a Firebird. Granted, it was a 151g DX that had previously had a nasty run-in with a parking lot, but it actually flipped. The plastic on that thing was as soft as candle wax.
DX Firebirds are not what we're talking about. All 3 I have thrown (max weight) have been straight to flippy as soon as they take their first tree hit. Stars also develop turn and even Sextons will flip up as they are some of the straightest Firebirds out of the box.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 560 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser flippin View Post
I’ve bought a handful of the new flat ones, and they are great. I have no reason to want any, I told myself I was happy with the dozen or so FAFs from 2012, as they will never wear out. As long as I’m careful, I couldn’t possibly go though them. But the new ones are dope too, they have the same flight, while being easier on the hand. Maybe not quite as good for forehand rollers, but that was a pretty high bar.
What do you mean by "easier on the hand"?

I don't own any 2012 FAFs, but have always wanted one, just not willing to pay what people ask for them. Which is why I bought a couple of these new ones.

I wonder if this new run is intentional or a happy accident. I have always wondered the same about the 2012 run too.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:29 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post

I don't own any 2012 FAFs, but have always wanted one, just not willing to pay what people ask for them. Which is why I bought a couple of these new ones.

I wonder if this new run is intentional or a happy accident. I have always wondered the same about the 2012 run too.
I can't speak to easier in the hand, but I will say that the true FAF Firebirds (which includes that run) I have thrown are really not necessary for anything outside of guys with 500 ft of power, 30 mph winds, or odd utility shots that come up maybe once every other round. I have a couple of that run and they are almost impossible for me to throw over 300 ft.

If you want one, I would also say there is a new run of luster/champ FBs that are some of the flattest and most overstable discs I have ever thrown. They are almost exactly like that 2012 run with honestly a better feel. The one I have was labeled champ, but is very clearly luster plastic, I picked it up as a tournament disc.

Edit, just realized that the new flat pearly run you were describing is definitely the one I have.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 31
Niced 370 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post

It means they feel nice. Most people don’t like their discs that stiff, the old FAFs can feel like you’re throwing a dinner plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeCroisQue View Post
I can't speak to easier in the hand, but... ...They are almost exactly like that 2012 run with honestly a better feel.
Sure you can.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:03 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser flippin View Post
It means they feel nice. Most people don’t like their discs that stiff, the old FAFs can feel like you’re throwing a dinner plate.

Sure you can.
I was simply referring to the plastic being nicer. I thought you meant it literally feels like it's easier to throw. For example, a Teebird is easier in the hand than an xcal. The rim is smaller and is a better fit for me. Or a non beaded disc feels better in the hand than a beaded one for forehands. The 2012 and new run feel identical in the hand outside of the plastic feeling slightly nicer.

I also meant I can't refer to what you mean by easier in the hand as that could mean something different for different people.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 93 Times in 46 Posts

This is a run to hoarde. Beautiful pearly plastic, flat, compared side by side to my 2012 FAF and it was about the same, maybe just ever so slightly higher price plh, feels more compact in the hand and a tiny bit softer although still very firm. Can't wait to throw it.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 159
Niced 149 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyfreetilinfinity View Post
This is a run to hoarde. Beautiful pearly plastic, flat, compared side by side to my 2012 FAF and it was about the same, maybe just ever so slightly higher price plh, feels more compact in the hand and a tiny bit softer although still very firm. Can't wait to throw it.
You're referring to Luster Firebirds, right? Where are you finding these?

Niced: (1)
Old 12-01-2018, 07:09 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 93 Times in 46 Posts

This was stock 12x champion stamp at PIAS, but definitely seemed like luster. Purple with green stamp.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 18
Niced 560 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
You're referring to Luster Firebirds, right? Where are you finding these?
I have a couple coming in a few days and will post pics. Reportedly much stiffer than Luster. We shall see.